Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Reviews--just caught it on DVD

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Movie Reviews--just caught it on DVD

Okay, this is what the thread is for. Watch your spoilers.

We just watched Denzel Washington in Deja Vu.

It wasn't too bad I guess but there seems to be a trend in movies to either make them so high brow that your average person can barely understand or just flat play to the lowest common denominator.

Where are you Forrest Gump?!?!?

So, in this thing we have a machine that could never be based in reality of any kind and...oh yeah...it works fine.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Revies?
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Hee. I'm here for ya, dude.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Just saw Burn After Reading last night!
    If you like Cohen Bros. movies, it's a must see!
    Just seeing John Malkovich punch Brad Pitt in the face is worth it!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been wanting to see that for a while now O, I'll pick it up the first chance I get.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Yeah, it is quite funny!
    George Clooney is pretty hilarious too!

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All right...if you haven't seen the film Wanted yet, don't waste your fucking money. I don't know if it was just because I read the graphic novel first or what, but I thought this movie was pure, unadulterated shit. The acting wasn't terrible, I suppose, but the plot was retarded and missed the entire point of the original story. I was so excited when I read the book, and the movie was just a slap in the face. I don't give a damn if I get to see Angelina Jolie's ass or not.

Worst adaptation ever, even worse than The Lawnmower Man.

(we need a vomit smilie)
    Heng Dai

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

We have Burn After Reading on dvd from Netflix and are supposed to watch it tonight. Let you know what I think and get it back to Netflix so someone else can see it soon.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I just rented Burn After Reading last week. I really enjoyed it, and it's pretty funny. I think you'll like it Jayson.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    (we need a vomit smilie)

take your pick, Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I just rented Burn After Reading last week. I really enjoyed it, and it's pretty funny. I think you'll like it Jayson.
    I figured I would and I did
    I typically like almost everything the Coen's do. The Man Who Wasn't There was pretty boring, but otherwise, the Coen's movies are always enjoyable for me, and several of them are among my favorite films ever. This one will not make that list, but it was definitely enjoyable and the performances were good.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I got The Doors (Oliver Stone biopic) for Christmas and watched it the other night. Seems like they focused on the raging drunk side of Morrison moreso than the artistic side. It was entertaining though. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I really didn't ever think there was a lot of artistry to Morrison. He wrote good poetry - but most was a product of him being stoned or drunk at the time. The movie focusing on his raging drunkenness and sociopathic tendencies seemed more accurate than focusing on his pseudo-intellectualism.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

To each his or her own.

I felt bad for what the other guys in the group had to put up with though.

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    I got The Doors (Oliver Stone biopic) for Christmas and watched it the other night. Seems like they focused on the raging drunk side of Morrison moreso than the artistic side. It was entertaining though. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    I really didn't ever think there was a lot of artistry to Morrison. He wrote good poetry - but most was a product of him being stoned or drunk at the time. The movie focusing on his raging drunkenness and sociopathic tendencies seemed more accurate than focusing on his pseudo-intellectualism.
    I've read Ray Manzarek say that Oliver Stone didn't appear to be interested in much more than Morrison in leather pants. I'm not particularly a fan of The Doors (though I am of Stone), but it didn't seem like it focused much on the music at all, just Morrison's personality. If you like the Doors' music, it's enjoyable but if not, it's not the most interesting movie, though it's shot well (it is still Oliver Stone).

To each his or her own.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for them. Their life was pretty good... and don't believe everything you saw in the movie.
    I've read other books by members of the Doors and what you saw in the movie was not the way it was all the time. All of the members of the band contributed more than it seemed on the movie.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

To each his or her own.

I think the guys turned out all right from the whole deal. I'm pretty sure Morrison's family (who it was said that he hated) turned out okay too.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I was really disappointed after watching Burn After Reading. I love the Cohen brothers, and with that cast I was expecting a lot. I almost feel like they phoned it in. I just couldn't get into that film at all.

As for Wanted, I thought it was one of the better films out this summer. A great action flick. I also read the graphic novel before seeing the film, but I knew that the film was going to be nothing like the graphic novel. That was fine with me though.

Did you actually expect them to have a character in the film named "shithead" who is literally composed of shit? Remember this is Hollywood. The story in the the graphic novel just would not work. The main character is an antagonist. He murders innocent people in cold blood.

How do you market that?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just saw Get Smart On Demand. I heard from three or four different people that is was so hilarious. Um....yeah....whatever! I was so disappointed. and the movie cost me $6

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    ...As for Wanted, I thought it was one of the better films out this summer. A great action flick. ...Did you actually expect them to have a character in the film named "shithead" who is literally composed of shit? Remember this is Hollywood. The story in the the graphic novel just would not work. ...
    Seen Kevin Smith's Dogma?
    I'm not at all interested in Wanted. Looks awful.
    Not many good films on this thread, yet.

I got The Doors (Oliver Stone biopic) ... I give it a 7.5 out of 10.
    I'd agree with that. First saw it at the theater back in the day, myself. Say what you like about the script, that film's performers deserve much credit. Kilmer's work is so memorable that lots of folks overlook Crispin Glover's Warhol. Worth watching.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I rented The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. I didn't really enjoy it too much. I actually fell asleep for a little while and forced myself to go back and watch the parts I missed.

I really enjoyed the first film, so I was looking forward to seeing the second. That being said, there seems to be something missing for me in this franchise. I just can't place my finger on it.

I must not be the only one who feels this way considering Disney just dropped the film franchise. I'm wondering if anybody is going to pick it up.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Finally saw Diary of the Dead. I enjoyed it a lot. I agree with my friend who said it's the best of the "videocam" movies. Plotwise it goes back to the original outbreak scenario instead of being a continuation of the post-apocalyptic world we saw develop through Land of the Dead. While the focus is mainly on the characters and how they (we) behave in a crisis of unimaginable proportions, there is plenty of action and gore as well.

That said, I really didn't come to enjoy zombie movies until I was in my twenties. Oh sure, I watched them, but it was more to laugh because, hey, c'mon, they move so fucking slowly. One thing that does bug me about most zombie movies is that most everyone who picks up a gun is able to shoot incredibly accurately - even with typically inaccurate weapons.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    One thing that does bug me about most zombie movies is that most everyone who picks up a gun is able to shoot incredibly accurately - even with typically inaccurate weapons.
    Which always contrasts nicely with police type movies/tv shows where people with weapons training can't hit anything at all.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just watched Transsiberian. I thought it was a really well made film. Some nice twists and turns. Good acting from Woody Harrelson, Ben Kingsley, Emily Mortimer and Kate Mara, whom I happen to have a huge crush on. It has a really nice Hitchcock like feel to it. So if you like his films, then you should enjoy this one.

If you get the chance, I would recommend picking this up. I love watching films with a good cast that, for whatever the reason, gets overlooked. I don't even remember this film being out, not even in limited release.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast