Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite "Childhood" Books

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street
    Outside Over There (although i was older when it came out it just spoke to me)
    Horton Hatches The Egg

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I always loved Horton Hears a Who, and Wacky Wednesday.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i never read those kind of books. the only books i remember reading (except for ones of information) that did not have chapters, were those little 10 page picture books that you read with your parents in kindergarten (well, at least I started in kindergarten). after that i read some of them there boxcar children books, got ill off Goosebumps, read some Ph34rstreet, and worked my way to Crichton by 4th grade

Gunslinger Apprentice Shamey is on a distinguished road Shamey's Avatar

I read a lot of Ramona Quimby...I think that's what it was called

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

ooh. i liked ramona, too. beezus and ramona. ramona the pest. you mean her right?

Gunslinger Apprentice Shamey is on a distinguished road Shamey's Avatar

Yeah! I remember one where she tries to get her Dad to quit smoking so she replaced all his cigarettes with rolled up pieces of paper that said something like "please quit". Does anyone remember Amelia Bedelia? I don't know if that's spelled right either.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

holy shit i actually remember that. i think it wa required reading in for my secind grade reading class. what you think of is the "Nosmo King" poster

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Ramona and Amelia Bedelia, I had forgotten all about those.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice PedroPáramo is on a distinguished road PedroPáramo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"The treasure island"
    and
    "Charly and the chocolate factory"
    Look at me thus. Thy glance is mad and rare.
    Thine eyes show deep and wild and inner strife.
    How they are more than Horror fair!
    -Alexander Search

for a second i thought you said charlie the Choo-Choo

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Any books by

Dr. Seuss

or

Roald Dahl

were my FAVORITES...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Winnie the Pooh (obviously)
    Mary Poppins
    Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass (not really a children's book, but I've read it since I can remember myself)
    The Adventures of Tom Sayer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Treasure Island
    Robinson Crusoe
    Captain Blood series (by Sabatini)
    Karlsson-on-the-Roof series, by Astrid Lindgren
    The Pippi Longstocking series, by Astrid Lindgren
    Kalle Blomkvist series, by Astrid Lindgren

also, a lot of Russian (Soviet) books, they were wonderful

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

- All the Boxcar Children books - I was in the bookclub where you got 3 new ones in the mail every two weeks (except I'd have them read in 2 days and have to wait)
    - I was really into Nancy Drew for awhile
    - Louis Sachar books, Holes and the Wayside School books
    - The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
    - Shel Silverstein collections (Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up)
    - Hurry Home, Candy by Meindert Dejong, about a homeless dog - this book used to make me cry and cry.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i had Amelia Bedeliea too.. and my favorite Dr. Suess story was The Sneetches... just said so much about society and discrimination. Dr. Suess was deep... anybody have those books that were supposed to teach you manners?

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

A lot of the books being mentioned...not sure I consider them "children's" books. I guess when I think of a Children's book I think of books with lots of pictures depicting the story. The Hobbit doesn't really fall into this category. The Hobbit, Goosebumps, etc...I see those as "tweener" books. "Everybody Poops"...now thats a children's book.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    I lot of the books being mentioned...not sure I consider them "children's" books. I guess when I think of a Children's book I think of books with lots of pictures depicting the story. The Hobbit doesn't really fall into this category. The Hobbit, Goosebumps, etc...I see those as "tweener" books.
    Though that may be the age group that typically reads and enjoys the Hobbit, Tolkien did envision writing it for a younger audience. His original test reader for it was Rayner Unwin [son of his publisher Stanley Unwin] who was only 8 at the time and he enjoyed it thoroughly.

Country
    Country Flag

ok well i guess that could be a little ambiguous.. i really meant the kinds of books that are meant for kids pre-high school...

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Alice in Wonderland kicked butt

so does

Momo and Neverending story by Michael Ende.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I lot of the books being mentioned...not sure I consider them "children's" books. I guess when I think of a Children's book I think of books with lots of pictures depicting the story. The Hobbit doesn't really fall into this category. The Hobbit, Goosebumps, etc...I see those as "tweener" books.
    Though that may be the age group that typically reads and enjoys the Hobbit, Tolkien did envision writing it for a younger audience. His original test reader for it was Rayner Unwin [son of his publisher Stanley Unwin] who was only 8 at the time and he enjoyed it thoroughly.
    Something tells me that little Rayner had more of a command of the English language than most of today's 8 year olds.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Something tells me that little Rayner had more of a command of the English language than most of today's 8 year olds.
    I don't doubt that for a second.

Country
    Country Flag

i'm going to turn my children into little reading monsters like myself... nigel will get them into sci fi and i'll get them into horror... besides that we're well balanced in everything else... but my kids will read

My Mood
    Worried

How about the Phantom Tollbooth?!?!? Amazing book!

Country
    Country Flag

yeah we mentioned that.. another Phantom Tollbooth fan!!! YAAAYYY!!

where'd RofG go? must have a party in the Castle in the Air.

My Mood
    Worried

I love my spelling bee...

Country
    Country Flag

I really like Tock..... Killing Time???? Killing Time??? lol don't kill Time people... it hurts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast