Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Your Favorite "Childhood" Books

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh yeah, I loved those! Fighting Fantasy were the ones I played as a kid. I even got myself a few hardback books of the recently republished Lone Wolf series. I just couldn't resist of a Choose Your Own series that had an ongoing storyline where your character improved with each book!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    anyone else love the Choose Your Own Adventure books?
    Haha, exactly what I was going to mention. I really liked those more than most books until I discovered King in the 3rd grade. After that I only liked novels. They were so much deeper. "It" was my fave book as a child.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

they are great books! I love that my kid loves them... I can read along with her!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

I was into horror at a very early age but way outside that genre (in between reading Rosemary's Baby, The Excorcist and SK) I LOVED the James Harriot series of books- All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful etc

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In a multi-page thread targeting devoted readers, it's little surprise that all my favorities have already been mentioned I think. But I'll post my list anyways. Great fun reading others' favorites!

1) The Enormous Egg --New England farm boy has a chicken that lays this big ole' egg, which hatches out to be a triceratops. What boy wouldn't want to have a pet triceratops? I loved this book!
    2) Runaway Ralph--my introduction to all things Beverly Cleary
    3) All things Beverly Cleary
    4) Where the Red Fern Grows--powerful book, and I don't even like dogs.
    5) The Chronicles of Narnia (series)
    6) The Three Investigators (series)**
    7) The White Mountains and tripod trilogy
    8) My Side of the Mountain
    9) Ozma of Oz
    10) Choose Your Own Adventure (series)

**Does anyone else remember these? I was never a big Hardy Boys fan, but I loved The Three Investigators. This was an Alfred Hitchcock-presented series of mystery adventures. The three boys were Jupiter Jones (portly and very smart); Pete Crenshaw (athletic and loyal), and Bob somebody-or-another (records and research). Much cooler than the Hardy Boys!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

**Does anyone else remember these?
    Absolutely!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Me too!

Bob Andrews
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Sherlock Holmes, 20000 Leagues... and a couple books in Croatian that no one on here has heard of.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Maniac Magee
    A Dog Called Kitty
    Follow My Leader
    the Ramona books
    Where The Red Fern Grows
    The Dark Is Rising series
    The Silver Crown

ETA: Yeah, the James Harriet books! I loved those too, and had totally forgotten about them.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

**Does anyone else remember these?
    Absolutely!
    The ??? YES, I still have a lot of The Three Investigators audio cassetts ,
    don´t use them but still have them.
    In the last years and of cause this year also at Christmas time, one of my local private radio stations aired
    every evening one complete ??? episode without interruptions !!!

Gunslinger Apprentice ESW has a spectacular aura about ESW has a spectacular aura about ESW has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Favorite childhood books? Wow, there were so many I can't remember them all, but among them would be:

The OZ series, particularly those illustrated by John R. Neill
    Ray Bradbury
    Beverly Cleary books
    Stephen King (I read Salem's Lot when I was about eight years old: hmm, that might explain a few things )
    Comic books -- series like "The Witching Hour," etc.
    Nancy Drew mystery series
    When I was very little, the Richard Scarry books were among my faves: anybody remember Huckle the Cat, or Lowly the Worm?
    Andersen's Fairy Tales...

...more, but these come to mind right now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11