Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Insomnia - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

John F. Kennedy Graham19 is on a distinguished road Graham19's Avatar

I really liked Insomnia. Being an 'audio-reader', I listened to it on cd. Eli Wallach (Ugly from 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) did an awsome job reading it, aswell as bringing the characters to life (many a chill down my spine). The pace was fine, I thought. It suited the main characters. The best bit for me though, was when Roland is mentioned asleep in the desert. I couldn't help thinking of him lying there next to the campfire, taking in the fumes from the burning devil grass - bringing dreams, nightmares, death! But not for Roland.

Yeah. I liked it alot.
    We deal In Lead.
    Long days and pleasant nights, Sai.
    Bird and bear and hare and fish.....
    Ribble te tibble te ting ting ting!
    For Frank

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I cry everytime anyone ranks on this story

No, really - Insomnia deserves nothing but love. It's beautifully paced, I feel it was purposely written that way for the reader to identify with Ralph and the other senior citizens in the story. You'll note it changes pace as they begin to feel younger.
    While I don't cry, I agree with every bit of this statement.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

You do so cry...your security blanket told me

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Fucking betrayer...if you can't trust your own security blanket, who can you trust in this world!?!?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I borrowed Insomnia from my mother in law yesterday. I have started reading it and so far I like it.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia ranks high on my list of favorites. It did start out slow and was confusing to the point that I had to reread sections of it several times there toward the end, but buy the time I reached the end I cared about the characters more than I cared about many others. And I have read a LOT of books. In fact, I really can't think of any characters I cared about more besides those of The Stand. Not even the kids in IT. I invested a lot of myself into Ralph and Lois and was spent when the journey ended.

Along the Path of the Beam Bumbler is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I never had any problem with it myself. It as in Insomnia, not it as in It... although It is drawn out, but still worth the recomendation. I must say that it is one of my favs. Outside of the DT, the only King novels I have re read more often than Insomnia are The Long Walk and The Stand. Oh yeah... maybe the Talisman and The Green Mile. But I will try not to get carried away here. All this to say that I love every bit of Insomnia. I think that if you cannot deal with heavy character development, then King is not for you. Just my opinion, but I see very few other authors capable of bringing me into a characters life the way King does. And yet that does seem to be the biggest complaint from non King fans. Myself and all my King buddies just love to rave about his horrable endings. Even those, however, I have grown to love.

Traveler BevMarsh83 is on a distinguished road BevMarsh83's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked Insomnia, but I do agree about the slow start. I think I plowed on though because of the links to IT (my fave SK book, apart from DT of course) and the Dark Tower series. I think I might read it again as it havent read it since i finished DT a few years ago. Loved the ending....

What I think was cool about it is the fact that the heroes are elderly people, I cant really think of many, if any, books that ive read where that has been the case.....Go Ralph!! : )

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia is one of my favorite books of all time! I don't usually cry at the end of books, but I cry everytime I read the end of this one. Sort of ironic, really, because for Steve, Insomnia had a positively chipper ending. As for the pacing, I think the first time I read Insomnia it took me less than a day. I couldn't put it down. Steve has written a couple of books I didn't care for, but Insomnia definitely wasn't one of them.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I heard Al Paccino wasn't going to be in the film adaptation of THAT Insomnia.

Donna

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by KaLikeAWheel View Post

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I heard Al Paccino wasn't going to be in the film adaptation of THAT Insomnia.

Donna

Now, THAT would be an interesting adaption.

Traveler huey520 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Has been many years since i read Insomnia but really liked it and the characters. At the time hadn't read the Dark Tower series also currently reading IT for the first time (half way through),so wouldn't have got any connections with either book/books. Will be reading Insomnia again as soon as finish IT and hopefully this time spotting the ties to other stories.

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There not huge story changing connections. (IT that is)

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

Now, THAT would be an interesting adaption.

That would be to die for! Robin Williams was in that other Insomnia too. Maybe he could play McGovern, or even be the voice of one of the little bald doctors. I'd pay to see that.

Donna

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jusy finished Insomnia. I love this book. The begginin is slow, ill agree with that. But the middle/end is great.

"Him's a King too."

Great book!

Poisonbat

This is my all time favorite King book. I have reread it many times and feel like I have a personal connection with Ralph and Lois. The ending has brought tears to my eyes every time. Ralph is my hero and will always be.

Country
    Country Flag

When I actually started to get bored is when the book started to pick up. Great book and in my top 3 favorites

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

*goes to the book shelf and brings Insomnia down*
    "you've just convinced me its time to reread this book,
    I like this one alot ". I think it is a great story!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

could be reading more very soon.......

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

loyal follower of Tiamat kirin is on a distinguished road kirin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

some complain about the slow pace but this was there for a reason to put you not only in the head of the main character but to give you his mood, if you will make the reader feel what its like to live in the slow paced uneventful life of a retired elderly man.

i found that insomnia freaked me out in two senses one was that it became clear king has suffered from insomnia as have i also i read this book shortly after the events of 9/11 and found the parallels disturbing particularly when you consider insomnia was writen before 9/11 had even happened like well before about 4 years i think

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia was published in 1994. Seven years before 9/11.

I agree, the slow pace of the beginning let the reader know the characters very well.

John

Traveler lucky13 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Insomnia and liked it a lot, although I am a bit confused about the Greenman... Other than that, I don't know why the book felt so "tricksy" to Roland. I saw many literal referances to the DT, but introducing more players (the doctors) behind the scenes of the Tower was a little hard to swallow. I loved the before-unmentioned idea of Purpose and Random, though.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    Other than that, I don't know why the book felt so "tricksy" to Roland.
    Roland isn't, you know, such a big reader... I think he would find The Three Bears confusing, and Winnie-the-Pooh a real mind-killer.

About Insomnia being "slow going": that's something I never felt... maybe because I love most of all that "slow going" literature of the past, like Jane Austen (Brice: ) or especially Dickens, when the main thing is all those nuances of feeling and thought, and the least movement of soul matters, - provided it is well written, of course, or such literature would be a living oxymoron. Of everything King wrote, for example, my favorite is the beginning of Black House (slippage and all), which so many find boring.

(as I already mentioned, though, I find the last quarter - or rather one sixth - of Insomnia boring, when all the fuss starts)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    maybe because I love most of all that "slow going" literature of the past, like Jane Austen (Brice: ) or especially Dickens, when the main thing is all those nuances of feeling and thought, and the least movement of soul matters, - provided it is well written, of course,

Slow can be good (if well done) such as Dickens (who I also love) or parts of Insomnia and Black House or conversely it can be REALLY bad...such as every word Austen ever wrote.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

Interesting observation about the connections between IT and Insomnia - perhaps obviously, there's the character progression as well, in age I mean. I love the fact that SK can write about children and elderly characters and make them both seem real and believable.

Insomnia, while not my favourite King novel, defintely not his worst either, in my opinion.

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also loved Insomnia, it was the first non-DT King book I read. I loved Ralph too, not sure exactly why. I think it was because he was just a normal guy faced with a great task, and he was very kind. And it also added so much to the DT.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast