Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Insomnia - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia is also one of my favourite SK books.

Great characters and part of the DT universe.....what's not to like!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Losers Club podcast on the novel:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/con...t/e/77280019#/

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ralph Roberts is one of King's more likeable characters. I always envisioned him being played by Jack Lemmon. The book itself is middling. It's unfortunate that it contains so much in the way of politics. Likely why it has never been made into a movie. The plot also seems a bit derivative of Thinner (weight vs sleep loss).

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know why it's a problem for stories to reflect politics but I doubt it's the reason why it never had an adaptation. It's a very long and often slow novel that centers around old people being unable to sleep and then we have just weird stuff like said old people having psychic battles with little bald men and the Crimson King appearing as an old lady/catfish in a rocking chair. That's on top of the heavy Dark Tower connections that, if Hearts in Atlantis was any indication, would have to be scrapped entirely.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's one of my favorite King novels. I do hope we eventually see a faithful big-budget adaptation. A streaming limited series would be amazing. I want it to be freaky and weird and surreal. When I read it back in the 1990s, I didn't know anything about the Dark Power, so it just added to the weirdness. And of course the dreamlike atmosphere of the auras and the little bald doctors. So good!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    It's unfortunate that it contains so much in the way of politics.
    I kind of like how the abortion issue is handled in Insomnia: King gets irritating when politics overlays the story and characters like ugly paint on wood (lime green paint doesn't help the bookcase stand up - do I need to know that a given character has her panties in a predictable bunch over a former President that never actually ended the world? No, I don't), but in Insomnia, abortion is a specific and discrete element of the story, essentially being what it already is - something that will get people riled up and at each other's throats. (Yes, all the pro-abortion characters are sympathetic and all the anti-abortion characters are literally insane, so I can see someone having a less charitable view than mine).

The plot also seems a bit derivative of Thinner (weight vs sleep loss).
    I think they are separated by much more than they have in common - much more.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    ...It's a very long and often slow novel that centers around old people being unable to sleep and then we have just weird stuff like said old people having psychic battles with little bald men and the Crimson King appearing as an old lady/catfish in a rocking chair. That's on top of the heavy Dark Tower connections that, if Hearts in Atlantis was any indication, would have to be scrapped entirely.
    Pretty much all of this.

Insomnia is one of those ones where, if they did adapt it, I 100% expect they'll feel the need to make it something totally different: replace its gradual, pensive side (which is crucial - even in the midst of action, there is much reflection on and examination of the bigger picture) in favor of pedestrian storytelling ("here's what people want!") and basically tighten it up in all the ways that will make it unrecognizable - and what would be the point? Insomnia deserves better.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I do hope we eventually see a faithful big-budget adaptation.
    I'd take faithful on any budget.

A streaming limited series would be amazing.
    Novel adaptations pretty much demand the series route (now that we've seen what they can do) to allow true storytelling (the dirty little secret of movie adaptations of novels is that they can't do the job because they can't do true length or depth (hey now!)).

I want it to be freaky and weird and surreal. When I read it back in the 1990s, I didn't know anything about the Dark Power, so it just added to the weirdness. And of course the dreamlike atmosphere of the auras and the little bald doctors. So good!
    The potential for something good and distinctive is certainly there.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I do hope we eventually see a faithful big-budget adaptation.
    Novel adaptations pretty much demand the series route (now that we've seen what they can do) to allow true storytelling (the dirty little secret of movie adaptations of novels is that they can't do the job because they can't do true length or depth (hey now!)).
    +1. I wish the upcoming'Salem's Lot remake would have gone the series route; 90-120 minutes isn't enough time for the slow build up that makes the story so good.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    It's unfortunate that it contains so much in the way of politics.
    I kind of like how the abortion issue is handled in Insomnia: King gets irritating when politics overlays the story and characters like ugly paint on wood (lime green paint doesn't help the bookcase stand up - do I need to know that a given character has her panties in a predictable bunch over a former President that never actually ended the world? No, I don't), but in Insomnia, abortion is a specific and discrete element of the story, essentially being what it already is - something that will get people riled up and at each other's throats. (Yes, all the pro-abortion characters are sympathetic and all the anti-abortion characters are literally insane, so I can see someone having a less charitable view than mine).

The plot also seems a bit derivative of Thinner (weight vs sleep loss).
    I think they are separated by much more than they have in common - much more.
    A mainstream movie in which the abortion debate is a backdrop to the plot would be box office cancer. Hollywood will never touch that. I do agree that King's approach to politics was a bit more nuanced at the time this book was written (which isn't saying much since he has gone off the deep end like his elderly characters in the book). I never bought the premise - even trying to suspend disbelief - that a Maine town would break down into violence over the visit of an abortion advocate. That was over the top. Oddly, if you set the novel in modern times and change the discussion to more recent divisive topics (e.g. pandemic), it would sadly be more believable.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He hasn’t gone off the deep end at all. You just disagree with his politics.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

He hasn’t gone off the deep end at all. You just disagree with his politics.
    It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. King is entitled to his opinions just like anyone. It is the endless nature of it. Completely obsessed on the topic. Tiresome.

Country
    Country Flag

You once called King a coward and a rat fink for signing a petition to support trans people. You said he went off the deep end when he told Trump to concede after losing the election. It is 100% because you don’t like what he thinks.

My Collection

My Mood
    Yeehaw

King's "politics" used to consist of policy positions; now he finds it hard to avoid repeated mentions of a guy that hurt his feelings - that's a change, and not a good one.

Country
    Country Flag

He hasn’t even mentioned Trump in a month, and that was an indirect reference. Unless you’re bothered that King doesn’t like Putin?

My Collection

My Mood
    Yeehaw

He hasn’t even mentioned Trump in a month, and that was an indirect reference.
    A whole month - I stand corrected?

...Unless you’re bothered that King doesn’t like Putin?
    TDS continues to be like magic mushrooms for the imagination.

Country
    Country Flag

Actually now it looks like two months at least. Maybe four tweets in all since the year started per the search.

So what’s the problem here besides him not sharing your political views?

My Collection

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...So what’s the problem here besides him not sharing your political views?
    Whether he or anyone else shares (or fails to share) my political views was never a problem; what is happening is that some of us have made an observation, one which anyone willing to be honest with themselves - liberal or conservative - could have made: of King's increasing, and increasingly specific, political content in his writing, featuring obsession with one individual.

Your question suggests that I would enjoy reading an author who repeatedly peppered his writing with bits about whatever I might think liberals have wrong - but the truth is, I would tire of it and hope he/she would snap out of it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

RichardX put it more clearly and succinctly:

It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. King is entitled to his opinions just like anyone. It is the endless nature of it. Completely obsessed on the topic. Tiresome.
    Perhaps you missed this post; perhaps something is preventing you from understanding it.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh I understood it. It was just disingenuous. If you were completely neutral about this you wouldn’t have championed JK Rowling when she went off about trans people as she is far more obsessed about the topic than King was about Trump. But because you agree with her, there was nothing wrong with it.

The notion that King is “obsessed” with Trump is just there to discredit his views. I.e. King threw in a few barbs at Trump in Billy Summers so therefore he has “Trump Derangement Syndrome”. King makes four tweets about Trump since the start of the year. He’s “obsessed”.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7