Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Make me read books

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

A couple of books i have read over the years that i have liked are as follows:

The Maximum Ride series by James Patterson.
    It's about a group of genetically altered kids who escape the lab to save the world from bad scientist...Might be where the series Dark Angel came from.

Abarat by Clive Barker
    Days of Magic Nights of War also by Clive Barker

Both of these series are from Anne McCaffrey
    The Freedom series: Which is about an invasion of earth and the hardships the peope have trying to take back their planet.
    Freedom's Landing
    Freedom's Choice
    Freedom's Challenge
    Freedom's Ransom
    The PeTayBee series: which is about a disabled combat vet that is sent there to spy on the people of that world and is healed by the planet and becomes a resident of the planet.
    the powers that be
    power lines
    power play
    Changelings
    Maelstrom
    Deluge

Does whatever a spiderman does.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i read the maximum ride too, it was very good. in fact didnt realise it was aimed at the teen market till i finished it and it was talking about other books teens may be interested in

there was a follow up book called the lake house, while it didn't have the same 'oo' factor as you knew they
    Spoiler:
    could fly
    it was still very good. i'd certainly recomend these books.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

to Doctor Dodge:

Umberto Eco. The Name of the Rose
    it's a classic you're gonna love

Umberto Eco. Foucault's Pendulum
    and this is a fantastic thing youre gonna adore, if you make it through the first chapter!!

which reminds me - I'll go leave another recommendation to you, in the Movie Recommendations thread

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    to Doctor Dodge:

and this is a fantastic thing youre gonna adore, if you make it through the first chapter!!

which reminds me - I'll go leave another recommendation to you, in the Movie Recommendations thread
    I endorse anything by Umberto Eco, he is such a great writer. but especially those two novels.

For you folks who like historical fiction with sex and violence (not to mention a totally Charles Dickens type of plot twist(s) and hero) I recommend anything by Gary Jennings, but especially Aztec and Aztec Autumn.

I am about to finish Song of Ice and Fire, #5 (Dance with Dragons) and need something to read until the next chronicle comes out. I have a feeling nothing is going to do it for me in terms of Fantasy as anything else is going to pale. I like Neil Gaiman but I have read most of his best (although I guess it has been long enough I could do a re-read). I would love recs for anything along that line (but I am guessing it would be hard to come up with soemthing). I loved American Gods and Good Omens. (I have read Stardust as well). Anything come to mind to those who have loved Fire & Ice and American Gods? I can do Sci Fi but no more fantasy fiction. I am full up already. A nice space scifi series could be good...
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by beam*seeker View Post

I endorse anything by Umberto Eco, he is such a great writer. but especially those two novels.

For you folks who like historical fiction with sex and violence (not to mention a totally Charles Dickens type of plot twist(s) and hero) I recommend anything by Gary Jennings, but especially Aztec and Aztec Autumn.

I am about to finish Song of Ice and Fire, #5 (Dance with Dragons) and need something to read until the next chronicle comes out. I have a feeling nothing is going to do it for me in terms of Fantasy as anything else is going to pale. I like Neil Gaiman but I have read most of his best (although I guess it has been long enough I could do a re-read). I would love recs for anything along that line (but I am guessing it would be hard to come up with soemthing). I loved American Gods and Good Omens. (I have read Stardust as well). Anything come to mind to those who have loved Fire & Ice and American Gods? I can do Sci Fi but no more fantasy fiction. I am full up already. A nice space scifi series could be good...
    I really liked Ender's Game, and the first Bean sequel, Ender's Shadow. You might give those a day in court.

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

to Doctor Dodge:

In the realm of Space SciFi, I have to throw in Old Man's War and it's sequels, The Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony and Zoe's Tale. I overlooked John Scalzi for a long time and am pretty sad that I did. This series is amazingly good and makes me want to go out and get all of his other stuff. The series starts with a man named John Perry who joins the Colonial Defense Force on his 75th birthday. When you join, you leave earth and they make you young again. No one who joins is ever allowed to return to Earth again, so no one is certain how they do it. I simply can't recommend this series enough.

In terms of a big fantasy series, you might look into The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. It won't replace A Song of Ice and Fire as you favorite or anything, but it is still an excellent series in my opinion. The first book is Wizard's First Rule. If I remember correctly, this held Erin's favorite fantasy series spot prior to her reading A Song of Ice and Fire.
    In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.
    In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.
    This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by harrison ryan View Post

I really liked Ender's Game, and the first Bean sequel, Ender's Shadow. You might give those a day in court.
    +1

to Doctor Dodge:

Have you read Anansi Boys? Also, if you like Jennings, have you read the Marco Polo one? I think it's alled The Journeyer. Also, try Stephen Lawhead's King Raven trilogy, it was reccomended to me by Chris, and although not quite as lively as Jennings, still a good read. Also, if you haven't already read Shogun, try that. It's easily as good as Jennings, if not better. I haven't tried any of the author's other books, but he has some other historical fiction asia books. Pearl S Buck's The Good Earth is a great read, albeit a bit dated.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice recs--I will get on them right after my ASOFAI reread. (could not resist). I gotta write these down.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Thanks. I loved Aztec, and I have all the Aztec books to date, although the newer ones leave something to be desired. Only the first 2 were done completely by him, and those are my faves. Raptor I thought was ok, but Spangle and The Journeyer were great.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8