Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Randall Flagg Discussion - *possible Spoilers*

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Didn't Tick Tock also say "My life for you" to Walter?
    Yes, he did I believe.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

carmody is the paranoid psycho old person fro the mist. she began drawing members to her through what she said, and wanted to sacrifice someone. Flagg kinda did that. she was fond of (at least in the film, where she used it three or four times) the phrase "my life for you". She, Like Flagg, would take something that was nobody's fault, and blame them.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I am almost positive that she never said it in the actual story. Darabont just added it as a nod to the DT folk, just like he did with the DT movie poster in the opening sequence.
    Heng Dai

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Yeah, I am almost positive that she never said it in the actual story. Darabont just added it as a nod to the DT folk, just like he did with the DT movie poster in the opening sequence.

Yes, and she only said it once in the movie when the giant buglike creature landed on her.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

don't you hate it when Hollywood picks on us DT fans. the nazis

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

And the thread has officially been Godwined! Discussion over!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Didn't Tick Tock also say "My life for you" to Walter?
    Yes, he did I believe.
    and Lloyd before him, if my memory serves me well

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I might be wrong, but I think I recall him saying that when Flagg released him from prison when he was dining on the rat. Is that where you mean?

If you rescue me

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

You are not wrong

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, yeah! It's been a long time since I read The Stand. It's on the reread list!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't remember the book clearly--but in the movie she was a Christian nutter, and in the book wasn't she some sort of pagan something or other??

I actually didn't mind them changing her to a Christian fundie, only because I felt like it made the story a little more frightening, because I think it would be easier for someone claiming some stake in a mainstream religion to get that many on her side that quickly....
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Randall Flagg Discussion *Possible Spoilers*

**Possible Spoilers**

After reading DT and The Stand I'm kinda torn about Flagg's abilities. In The Stand it seems to me he is a legit sorcerer of some kind. . .the visions. . .the illusions. . .the ball of fire and so forth. But in the VII book of DT it's revealed by Mordred that he's was pretty much a cheap imitation of a sorcerer and that all his abilities were pretty much scams, at least that's the way I perceived it. Did I just read this wrong or is it he has different abilities on different lvl's of the tower? Also where do his appearances fit in in a chronological sense?

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Chronologically, we don't really know when the Stand events took place in relation to the DT books, but I thought it might have happened during the time of The Waste Lands and Wizard and Glass. I'm only really basing this on the fact that he has the RF form and persona in these books, (that is the present day sections of Wizard.) I can't prove it, just a theory.

That being said I'm not convinced DTs Flagg is exactly the same as the Stand version mainly due to the disparity in time in which these event occur, (70s for original Stand novel, 90s for unabridged verson, 80s for WAG superflu world) and also the history of Flagg himself. (That's not to say DTs Flagg didn't end up in a superflu world and take part in similar, possibly identical events, I just think it might be a world next door to Stand world, where events occurred in a different decade. If that makes sense.)

As for his abilities on different levels of the Tower, I think it's quite possible he is more powerful in other worlds that do not have a keystone status, simply because it's not as real, and maybe with fantasy comes more power, much like if you are aware you're dreaming you can control the world around you (although not to that degree of power). That being said it could be argued, he'd be more powerful in his home world too... so it could work the other way.

Either way, during his confrontation with Mordred, it's important to note, Mordred a) took him by surprise and b) took control of his body. Even if he could blast fireballs, shift into other worlds, kill Mordred with his mind, he was incapable of doing so at that point.

I really disliked that it happened that way, or at least that it happened that way so soon. But there it is. Primarily, I don't think it was his lack of power compared to Mordred that allowed him to be taken. It was his arrogance and underestimation of what Mordred was capable of, in this case penetrating Walter's thinking cap.
    Spoiler:
    (And if it had the same effect as it did on another character from French Landing, it might have dulled his thinking too.)

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Nice

Very well put!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank-ya.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've read The Stand a bunch of times and each time I do, Flaggs power seems to be less and less. Illusionists can really make you convinced of something that did not happen. A whole bunch of glam. Something like a "fireball" can be done with the right kind of powder, things like that.

IMO, there is no way to relate time in the series to any of the other books so I'm not sure that factors in much. In the end, I believe Flagg is just what he said he was at the end of DTVII

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I do think Flagg is a sorcerer, despite his meeting with Mordred, and that he had the power to save himself. The problem, in my opinion, is that he got too full of himself, what with the Crimson King trapped in the Tower and the ka-tet heading toward what he thought would be their doom. As for his existence on other worlds, I think the Flaggs (if they are different Flaggs) are one in the same with the Flagg from Wizard and Glass. I seem to recall that at one point Walter referred to himself as Legion (or maybe it was under his Flagg guise?). Many. So I think that the Flagg who used the alias of Walter O'Dim is the "true" Flagg, while the others are different aspects of his being that are scattered throughout the different levels of the Tower. To support this idea, consider the vision Walter gave Roland at the end of The Gunslinger. Under the assumption Walter could have shown him this any time, it would point to him being pretty powerful just based on the sheer scope of the vision.

Based on what I have read involving Flagg, it seems much of his power comes from his quick thinking and that sharp tongue.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I always thought that his power could be derived by how many people believed in him. In The Stand, tons of people believed in him because of the dreams, but as they saw how he ran things, he began to lose his powers and so therefore his control over the people.

I don't know if anyone sees it this way, but I always did.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    I always thought that his power could be derived by how many people believed in him. In The Stand, tons of people believed in him because of the dreams, but as they saw how he ran things, he began to lose his powers and so therefore his control over the people.

I don't know if anyone sees it this way, but I always did.
    I am inclined to think the same. Moreover, he has control only over those souls that are ready to succumb to him even before they met. Whenever he meets anyone who can - to any extent - stand and be true, his glammer doesn't work.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Moreover, he has control only over those souls that are ready to succumb to him even before they met. Whenever he meets anyone who can - to any extent - stand and be true, his glammer doesn't work.
    Yes, a very good point! Infact, when choosing those who will be in his direct service, he specifically asks for their allegiance, almost as if it's part of some magical pact to ensure his power over others through their core belief.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I could go with that, its a great theory.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Moreover, he has control only over those souls that are ready to succumb to him even before they met. Whenever he meets anyone who can - to any extent - stand and be true, his glammer doesn't work.
    Yes, a very good point! Infact, when choosing those who will be in his direct service, he specifically asks for their allegiance, almost as if it's part of some magical pact to ensure his power over others through their core belief.
    Which is why he had no control over people like Dayna and Glen.

I'm currently re-reading The Stand and am about a hundred pages near the end. It's still a great read, but knowing what becomes of Flagg at the end of DT makes him look smaller than when I first read it.

Default Misled by Flagg?

I've noticed that in quite a few novels our old friend (or fiend) Randall flagg seems to cause more damage with the troubled, but not necessarily Bad type of people, than with some person who is evil to the core. In eyes of the dragon, he misleads Prince Thomas; in the Stand he misleads Harold. He tries to use Mordred while he was young (and assumed that meant innocent, despite the fact that he knows otherwise), which gets him killed. Since I am a long way from reading all King novels, or even the ones with Flagg in the (how many more are there, exactly? There is more than just DT, Stand, and EotD, isn't there?) I was wondering if anyone else saw such similarities, or had any comments on this.

Country
    Country Flag

Dear friends,

since quite a lot of novels are going to be quoted/discussed here, I have to remove the Spoiler Warning from the title, and warn you about being careful with your spoilers in the text. When you use spoiler tags, please warn which novel you are going to spoil (i.e.: "The Stand spoiler below")

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmm I notice that too I recently finshed The Eyes of the Dragon, which was a really great book and so far my second favorite of his [excluding The Dark Tower series] I recomend it to anyone who has yet to read it.

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast