Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Patrick Danville General Discussion *SPOILERS*

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21 View Post
    if i remember, he saves rollands life in book 7 by killing the crimson king...but who is the second? and he DOESNT die in book 7, he leaves rolland to his fate?

so is there a different King book in which danville 'saves' someone else? If so can I please be enlightened? But dont spoil it for me!
    The third part of the book (with the "Calvins") goes out of its way to explain that a lot of Insomnia is no longer canon because King's 'song' was muddled when he wrote it. This is more or less King's way of admitting that he couldn't fit the book into the DT mythology.

So Patrick didn't die saving two people no more than the Crimson King was imprisoned at the top of the Dark Tower. Really, I don't know why people are still trying to fit what Insomnia did into DT7 when King himself all but broke the fourth wall and told fans to ignore it. In retrospect, King made a big mistake making Insomnia so important initially to the series' mythos when he was pretty much making it up as he went along. I understand his views on outlines, but really, if you're writing something as expansive as the Dark Tower, you should have some sort of master plan for the ending.

Wish I could have a better answer (as Insomnia's one of my favorite SK books), but that's it. I guess we should be happy that Patrick showed up at all.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Seems to me like Insomnia was just a rough draft in which he sketched out some DT ideas, then threw away into (for some reason) his Publish! box... and then Patrick in DT7 ended up being a kind of rough draft for Duma Key.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    ... and then Patrick in DT7 ended up being a kind of rough draft for Duma Key.
    so perhaps duma key is just a rought draft for something...

duma key

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Seems to me like Insomnia was just a rough draft in which he sketched out some DT ideas, then threw away into (for some reason) his Publish! box... and then Patrick in DT7 ended up being a kind of rough draft for Duma Key.
    I just thought edgar and patrick had variations of the same breaker abilities...
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I didn't really want to start Duma Key spoilers here.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked that book, but I must admit that jayson's point is really funny. lol, I bet that M. Night Shyamalan loves it.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I personally thought Duma Key was easily one of King's best books in a long time.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    I personally thought Duma Key was easily one of King's best books in a long time.
    Absolutely; I would say the best. I never could understand Jayson's frustration with that final bit - it's very much like the key events and the main idea in It; we won't discuss it further in this thread, though, ok?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler Mars Eclipse is on a distinguished road Mars Eclipse's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Woo.... I know I'm kinda late but I do have an offering on how Patrick got into Dandelo's clutches. See, I was complaining about how I had no idea how he got there to a friend, and she said, 'Well, maybe the low men took him there.'
    How did I not see that? While it's never said, the idea of the Low Men taking Patrick to Dandelo makes a lot of sense to me.

Traveler BigBob is on a distinguished road

Question I have is, after erasing susannah's tumor and drawing into reality the door that wasn't there, why didn't Patrick draw her with full legs?
    this may have been discussed but a cursory search found nothing

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    Question I have is, after erasing susannah's tumor and drawing into reality the door that wasn't there, why didn't Patrick draw her with full legs?
    this may have been discussed but a cursory search found nothing
    It was discussed at least once, on a website which existed before the website which became this website. The theory I was persuaded to reluctantly accept at that time was that Patrick never actually creates anything -- he only teleports things into his setting (like the unfound door) or away into outer darkness (like Susannah's tumor.) This is speculation, but pretty consistent with all events in DT7. I'm also curious about his apparent clairvoyance, as evinced by his drawing of Roland in Insomnia. It would be cool to hear further ideas about the limits on his powers -- I'm still rather uncertain. We have some particular other members who are rather more well-versed in superpower-style rationale wrangling than I have been since I retired from Dungeon Mastering. Maybe like Sai King, Patrick is just constrained mainly by ka. That type of philosophy is more my specialty now. But it is at least safe to say, IMO, that he is for one or more of these reasons not as all-powerful as one might assume that an artist inside an artwork could be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5