Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dark Tower Cake.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Dark Tower Cake.

I'm a cook, and sort of an aspiring cake decorator, and today I came up wtih an idea for "Dark Tower Cake"...what I have so far:

Has to be a very rich, chocolate cake (for the DT itself)
    Has to be a layer cake (no 1-level towers!)
    Has to have a red filling between layers, to symbolize the Rose (thinking raspberry)
    Has to have 19 ingredients total.

The last one is where I think there may be a problem...anybody bake? Help out!

1)eggs
    2)flour
    3)chocolate
    4) water
    5)sugar
    6)crisco
    7)rasperries

That's only seven!...
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

chocolate jimmys or stuff like that? Or would that
    count as # 3 ?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gunslinger Apprentice LemurJones is on a distinguished road

Dude, if I made a Dark Tower cake, it would be a red velvet cake with straight-black frosting. That way it's red on the inside! RED LIKE BLOOD.

And I would mix up dark gray frosting for drawing little squiggly carved windows, and I would have a layer of cake that was the field, and it would be frosted red and topped with red sugar.

And, I would get a sugar ghost cake decoration and color it red, and make it lurk around the tower's bum.

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

THAT is an awesome idea, Lemur!!!!

Now to figure out how to make a red-velvet cake with 19 ingredients....hmm..(red velvet 'tis my favorite!)

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

different colored candies to make a plate glass window at the top.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

white chocolate frosting
    chocolate frosting
    fondant.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Do you watch Challenge! on Food Network when they have to make really fancy cakes? They do things like this sort of. And I know if I were to do it it would take a very long time but idk if you're that bored. Cuz you could make a field of roses around the bottom on the Tower cake. You could use fondant too.. although I'm not completely sure how they color it.. I know sometimes they use airbrush... lol ok I'm getting completely out of hand, but I think it's a really cool idea and I can just imagine. My younger sister is an aspiring baker.. maybe I should give her the challenge

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

you color fondant with coloring gel and knead it in.

for the record, i want chocolate cake now.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Ves'Ka Gan View Post
    I'm a cook, and sort of an aspiring cake decorator, and today I came up wtih an idea for "Dark Tower Cake"...what I have so far:

Has to be a very rich, chocolate cake (for the DT itself)
    Has to be a layer cake (no 1-level towers!)
    Has to have a red filling between layers, to symbolize the Rose (thinking raspberry)
    Has to have 19 ingredients total.

The last one is where I think there may be a problem...anybody bake? Help out!

1)eggs
    2)flour
    3)chocolate
    4) water
    5)sugar
    6)crisco
    7)rasperries

That's only seven!...
    Emphasis mine. DEAR GOD NO!!! Why would you want to ruin a chocolate cake with... that?!

Quote Originally Posted by LemurJones View Post
    Dude, if I made a Dark Tower cake, it would be a red velvet cake with straight-black frosting. That way it's red on the inside! RED LIKE BLOOD.

And I would mix up dark gray frosting for drawing little squiggly carved windows, and I would have a layer of cake that was the field, and it would be frosted red and topped with red sugar.

And, I would get a sugar ghost cake decoration and color it red, and make it lurk around the tower's bum.
    Now that's the cake I'd make.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

I think we should all get together now and have a DT cake party!! That way we can be like "ooooo" and also "CAAAAKE"

Someone should do a gingerbread tower too

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

That sounds awesome, Lemur!!!!

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I working on it--the red velvet has the added bonus of needeing more ingredients than a regular cake, it needs buttermilk, food coloring in addition to the other stuff...and the frosting uses more than the "usual" buttercreme, too.

As soon as I come up with a 19 ingredient recipe, I'm going to start on it.

And Beam--that's "The Ace of Cakes" it's here in Baltimore. They make good stuff but when they do samplings the cake is stale....kind of a turn off when the guy's minimum charge is $500!!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I would think if you made the frosting from scratch, all of those ingredients could be counted in the total.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I working on it--the red velvet has the added bonus of needeing more ingredients than a regular cake, it needs buttermilk, food coloring in addition to the other stuff...and the frosting uses more than the "usual" buttercreme, too.

As soon as I come up with a 19 ingredient recipe, I'm going to start on it.

And Beam--that's "The Ace of Cakes" it's here in Baltimore. They make good stuff but when they do samplings the cake is stale....kind of a turn off when the guy's minimum charge is $500!!
    What?? $500?? Never for stale cake no matter how good they are.

And I know about Ace of Cakes too. My dad is from Baltimore, but on Challenge! they often do challenges in which chefs compete for like $10,000. They have to design a cake for someone's special something be it a birthday or wedding, ect.

psssh..... $500.. the madness..

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

make sure you get a picture of it for the site

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a recipe for red velvet cake & frosting...there are only 17 ingredients though.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

So you add two kinds of frosting to the top...

My Mood
    Worried

Then it iwll be even better because it will represent the red and the white..

My Mood
    Angelic

red velvet cake is nasty/

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    red velvet cake is nasty/
    then I'm taking your slice and there's nothin you can do about it.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Exsqueeze me? I watched this show the other night because it sounded cool. Never seen it before. I was extremely underimpressed with his work. The truly impressive stuff was not edible; it was frosted wood and metal. WTF?! I mean srsly. It was a wooden structure, with a sheet cake inside, and the cake and wooden bits around the cake were frosted. Well, damn, ace, just about anybody can build a model of Wriggley field with WOOD. I thought you were going to make it with cake and frosting and hot ribbon candy and decorator candy bits and creativity. Hrumph.

Mr. Woofer, who has worked as a professional cake decorator at Piece o' Cake (It was in Birmingham. Bethany, did you ever eat there? ) and who builds miniatures for hobby and, to an extent, current work, had plenty to say about their "methods". I have to agree. When I think specialty cakes, I'm thinking that the special bits will be edible TOO.

Phew! Sorry about that.

As far as the cake goes, I second adding the two additional frostings for the red and the white. Voila! You have achieved the tower and 19, too!
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Angelic

No, can't say that I ever ate there.
    Damn, I really want some chocolate cake.-

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Oooohhhh yes....I wish it weren't so ridiculously hot here already or I might have started this project already....

As an aside--when I was learning garnish and cake decorating (with the USMC!) the #1 rule was it should all be edible. I can see a smalle bit or two being cardboard or something, but when the majority of the "cake" is made of non-edible stuff, it really isn't an awesome cake as much as it's a cool art project with icing on it.
    Last edited by Ves'Ka Gan; 06-07-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: eta

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    I watched this show the other night because it sounded cool. Never seen it before. I was extremely underimpressed with his work. The truly impressive stuff was not edible; it was frosted wood and metal. WTF?! I mean srsly. It was a wooden structure, with a sheet cake inside, and the cake and wooden bits around the cake were frosted. Well, damn, ace, just about anybody can build a model of Wriggley field with WOOD. I thought you were going to make it with cake and frosting and hot ribbon candy and decorator candy bits and creativity. Hrumph.
    i watched this show a couple of times and thought the exact same thing. it would be significantly more impressive if they made the "cakes" out of cake.

My Mood
    Angelic

fondant is nasty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast