Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Philip K. Dick thread

Gunslinger Apprentice MrQuint is on a distinguished road MrQuint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    this is sarajean's most favorite author. She'll be so excited when I tell her that a thread has been started in his honor.
    Where is Lady T anyway? She hipped me to The Man In The High Castle way back in the day.

And believe it or not Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was required reading in a College course I took.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that's awesome. i wish classes i took would assign great authors like PKD

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Gunslinger Apprentice MrQuint is on a distinguished road MrQuint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    that's awesome. i wish classes i took would assign great authors like PKD
    You need a teacher that's a pothead. We read A Clockwork Orange too.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

dammit. and i'm going to this conservative school.. it'll never happen... *sigh* maybe i'll get lucky and get one of those profs that aren't really part of the school.

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Ubik.....HELP ME?!?!?! (SPOILERS)

Im in college right now, i just finished Ubik....And i dont get it

Why did Runciter find a coin with joe chips head on it? Is it runciter thats actually in the half-life state?

Are they both in the half-life state in different places?

I just dont get it, it dosnt make sense to me. Maybe given time to think ill understand, or make up my own theories. I just wonder what the rest of you think.

So without futer ado...Discuss Ubik!
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Library of America is releasing their third Dick volume on July 30th:

http://totaldickhead.blogspot.com/20...volume-to.html

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The name of the site is total dick head?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite book by him is Valis, its the one he wrote after he had a nervous breakdown and it shows
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Valis was awesome. It's tied with Ubik for me.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Along the Path of the Beam wolverine0712 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I've read a little bit of his stuff. I love Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep. I've also read a lot of his short stories, including Total Recall, the Minority Report, and the one that was made into a horrible Nic Cage movie (I can't remember the name of it). They are good reads and normally pretty quick.

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

just finished androids about 20 min ago. i really enjoyed it, much more than i enjoyed scanner a year or so ago. since the existential movement is one of my favorite literary movements, and because i love both the styles of early scifi and hardboiled/noir, this book really jumped out at me. Dick did a great job on this one

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    this is sarajean's most favorite author. She'll be so excited when I tell her that a thread has been started in his honor.
    Where is Lady T anyway? She hipped me to The Man In The High Castle way back in the day.

And believe it or not Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was required reading in a College course I took.
    sarajean would be more excited if his name was spelled correctly in the title (only one "l" in philip). i don't have all of his stuff, but i do have quite a bit. ka mai, you said the ideas in the man in the high castle weren't exactly original, but you have to remember that when it was written, they were. most speculative fiction writers from the 60s on were influenced by pkd in some way. his best works were always his short fiction. the reason that his books don't necessarily translate well into movies is that they were so full of ideas that in order to make a film, most of the story had to be left out.

a good place to start is with his collected stories volume 1: the short happy life of the brown oxford.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    sarajean would be more excited if his name was spelled correctly in the title (only one "l" in philip).
    Thank you for bringing it to my attention! I had suspected I was seeing double.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Beautiful:

pablo, that's amazing. i love it.

in other news: radio free albemuth is being made into a movie. i'm not sure how well that will be translated into film.

Country
    Country Flag

Default Phillip K Dick's Ubik

First things first my friends, there will be SPOILERS!

Okay so i read this book some time ago, and really thourougly enjoyed it. But i just dont get it.....then ending left me puzzled and after some serious consideration i cant come up with anything. Can any of you guys shed some light on it for me?
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork

i'm going to go ahead and merge this with the pre-existing philip k dick thread.

what specifically about the ending was it that confused you?

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

I was deeply enjoying that book as well, hope this isn't a spoiler but the end pisses me off to this day.......

I have a nice anniversary copy for sale pretty much cover price including shipping to all of north america:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Philip-K-Dick-MAN...d=p3911.c0.m14

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I am deeply enjoying The Man In The High Castle.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    i'm going to go ahead and merge this with the pre-existing philip k dick thread.

what specifically about the ending was it that confused you?
    Thanks for the merge

and everything, i just dont understand what happend, specially with that coin ;p

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to pablo for directing me to this thread! I've only recently started to read his books, now Ubik is in my hands. I'll be back soon - ie. when I've read at least five of Dick's books so I can comment more. So far, so good.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to Pablo pointing out the Library of America editions on the other thread I just got the first two in the mail today (one was a first printing, the other a fifth). Very classy treatment for someone like PKD. Almost all the other figures they've published are way over my head. I'm pretty eager to read him again, he's always mesmerized me but it's been hard to find his stuff.

Country
    Country Flag

Those LOA editions are sexy. And they have very useful notes at the end. Too bad more of Dick wasn't published this way...

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? a short while ago, and I really liked it. Obviously, I read it because I'm a huge Blade Runner fan (although it took 3 viewings before I eventually decided that I liked it), but it was very different, storywise, at least. However, both are very similar in tone and spirit at least. Need to read more of his stuff, I think.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I just read We Can Remember It for You Wholesale in an anthology earlier this week. I just love dick.

Spoiler:
    That's what she said.

and that is so NOT what I meant.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Halfway through Three Stigmata which I just started a few hours ago and so far it's probably one of the best he ever wrote (and one of my favorite books of all time more than likely). It's crazy I somehow skipped it when I was reading so many of his books years ago.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast