Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Quentin Tarantino Movie Discussion

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

But the first 10-15 minutes with Christoph Waltz were mesmerizing!!!! Bears need to see a Doctor again and soon!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    But the first 10-15 minutes with Christoph Waltz were mesmerizing!!!!
    yes, they were
    Waltz was the main reason why I started watching this at all

Bears need to see a Doctor again and soon!!!!
    Gladly. Which Doctor? Dodge???

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Who else? My suggestion, bears?

Would you like a jelly baby?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I have my problems with Inglourious Basterds, but on a general level I enjoyed it. Definitely not my favorite Tarantino though.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I have my problems with Inglourious Basterds, but generally speaking I enjoyed it. Definitely not my favorite Tarantino though.
    Agreed. My biggest peev was mainly the ending, which almost ruined the film for me. I did enjoy the more serious, dramatic moments, though. Especially the first 10-15 minutes, as Merlin and bears said. I'll have to give it another watch, at some point.

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The pub scene with the inquisitive SS Officer is amazing. Everything about that scene is masterful. The pacing, the dialogue, the rising crescendo of tension ... just amazing. One of my favorite Fassbender performances, even if it's only a few minutes long.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh yes, another classic moment. You see, it seemed to take itself as a very serious war film, and then...

Well, considering the rather popular theory that's sprung up as a result of that ending, I suppose I can give it another shot. It just really threw me off the first time I saw it.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I have my problems with Inglourious Basterds, but on a general level I enjoyed it. Definitely not my favorite Tarantino though.
    Those are my feelings as well. But then there's not a QT film that I haven't enjoyed.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just got back from seeing "DJango Unchained" and man what a GREAT movie!!! Once again, Waltz is fabtastic!!! DiCaprio is also very good as the villain. Of course, Foxx is excellent as well!!! If "No country for Old Men" can win an Oscar then so should Django!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bill, did you find that you cared about the characters (and was the plot engaging enough)? That's my main concern that I take away from the trailer: that they feel one-dimensional. Of course I haven't seen the movie yet, and it's just a trailer, so that's all I have to base it on. I haven't seen too many reviews that go into depth about the dimensionality of the characters so was wondering how you felt.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Bill, did you find that you cared about the characters (and was the plot engaging enough)? That's my main concern that I take away from the trailer: that they feel one-dimensional. Of course I haven't seen the movie yet, and it's just a trailer, so that's all I have to base it on. I haven't seen too many reviews that go into depth about the dimensionality of the characters so was wondering how you felt.
    The trailers do not do it justice. The issues with slavery are as well demonstrated as the Jewish element in "Basterds" and really make you think. They are graphic and well fleshed out by the characters. It feels very real!! And the relationship of Django and Waltz I thought was very well done, but not drawn out and "beat ya to death" with, if ya know what I mean. Sam Jackson's character is great and DiCaprio almost steals the film.

What I found really great was I really cared and wanted to see where the film was going. I didn't just "watch"it I was engrossed in it like when reading a book.

Hope that helps. I think you will dig it!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks a lot, Bill! That has me excited.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Thanks a lot, Bill! That has me excited.
    Glad to be of assistance!!! LOL

Small spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Don Johnson has a classic QT cameo role!!! Probably the funniest scenes in the film!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quentin Tarantino Reveals Plans for Killer Crow
    A spin-off of Inglourious Basterds featuring African-American troops.

December 30, 2012

"While doing press for his new release Django Unchained, director Quentin Tarantino revealed plans for a future project titled Killer Crow, an Inglourious Basterds spin-off to be set in 1944 after Normandy."

Full story.

Boooo. This sounds really, really uninteresting to me. He said he only has a few more films left in him and I'd rather see him make fresh films than spin offs.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quentin Tarantino Reveals Plans for Killer Crow
    A spin-off of Inglourious Basterds featuring African-American troops.

December 30, 2012

"While doing press for his new release Django Unchained, director Quentin Tarantino revealed plans for a future project titled Killer Crow, an Inglourious Basterds spin-off to be set in 1944 after Normandy."

Full story.

Boooo. This sounds really, really uninteresting to me. He said he only has a few more films left in him and I'd rather see him make fresh films than spin offs.
    Oh IDK That sounds pretty cool and it does mean a second film to complete the trilogy!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Hmmm, doesn't appeal to me either. Hopefully he'll pass on it. And what happened to Kill Bill Volume 3? I kept hearing rumors that he'd be doing that soon. Or have those all stopped?

But I'm with you Feev. I'd definitely prefer he do original films.
    And where did you hear he was only doing a few more films. I really hope that's not the case

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    ...what happened to Kill Bill Volume 3? I kept hearing rumors that he'd be doing that soon. Or have those all stopped?
    He pretty much squashed KB3 a few weeks ago.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/12/13...-for-tarantino

But I'm with you Feev. I'd definitely prefer he do original films.
    And where did you hear he was only doing a few more films. I really hope that's not the case
    Yeah, he said he's thinking about retiring .. he doesn't want to be an "old-man film maker."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...for-retirement

Well can't say I'm disappointed. I'd choose that over another Inglorious Bastards, but would prefer a new film altogether.
    And hopefully he's like Mr. King. I can't have him retiring anytime soon.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

... he said he's thinking about retiring .. he doesn't want to be an "old-man film maker."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...for-retirement
    I think that's mostly misconception about the nature of film. Some directors did get better as they got older. But Tarantino makes movies for a younger audience, so there is a point. I would agree, assuredly, if we were talking about comics. There comes an age at which creators in a medium like that one should indeed step back and stop trying to act like they're still "with it." I guess maybe with this latest, QT is approaching the upper ceiling of his personal potential for really mature movies. If so, I'd like to give him credit for at least recognizing the limitation... but not quite finding the exact words (and putting down a whole swath of other filmmakers, to boot) doesn't help.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Some directors did get better as they got older. But Tarantino makes movies for a younger audience, so there is a point.
    True. In this instance I too would like to give Tarantino credit for recognizing his own strengths and limitations. If he knows that his later work will all be scrambling efforts in an attempt to be 'hip' then I'd rather him quit while he was ahead. His filmography as it stands is nothing to scoff at.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

His filmography as it stands is nothing to scoff at.
    If it were any less highly and widely praised, I'd have to agree. As is, a little scoffing is not out of order... granted, though: the work demands some degree of respect, as well.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My full Django Unchained review for those who haven't seen it elsewhere:

Django Unchained - 9/10

If you're a fan of Tarantino's work, then you will enjoy Django. If you are not a Tarantino fan, then why are you even watching this movie? It's a Tarantino film, so you pretty much know what you're going to get.

You're going to get a highly stylized film with great cinematography, an awesome soundtrack, some graphic violence and a lot of well written scenes with tons of great dialogue and top notch acting. In short, if QT isn't your thing, then you should look elsewhere because there isn't a director working today whose films are as easily identified just by watching a scene or two than Tarantino.

Luckily, Tarantino happens to be my favorite director and I thoroughly enjoyed Django. After seeing Inglorious Basterds, I started scouring the internet to see what his next project was. I heard he was doing a Western and I was instantly excited because Westerns happen to be one of my favorite genres.

For those unfamiliar, Django is about a slave, played with brooding anger by Jamie Foxx, that is freed and then hired by a German-born bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz. The bounty hunter is played with infectious energy by Christoph Waltz, who won an Oscar for Inglorious Basterds. There should be a law that Tarantino must put Waltz in every film he makes from here on out. They are a match made in heaven. You can tell QT loves writing for Waltz and I'm not sure another actor could bring QT's words to life like Waltz does.

The unlikely duo soon head out to find a trio of murderous brothers. Once that is done, Schultz promises to help Django find his wife, who was separated from him and sold to another slave owner.

The subject matter in Django is very serious and is certainly a hot button issue. In fact, Tarantino has been under fire for directing a film portraying African Americans being brutally assaulted and murdered. As a white man, most feel that Tarantino can't properly handle such subject matter. Many people are also upset because the "N" word is used over 150 times. Like some of the violence, it sometimes feels gratuitous.

With that being said, I felt that Django is the kind of film that might be seen as empowering for African Americans, much in the same way Basterds was empowering for Jews. You can't help but cheer as the slave owners get what's coming to them.

Tarantino isn't trying to make a historical documentary. He proved that with Basterds. He's only concerned about making an entertaining film. I'm not sure there's a director today that continues to be a box office draw, but at the same time, continues to turn out critically acclaimed work.

About half way through the film, we are introduced to Calvin Candie, played by Leonardo DiCaprio with a sort of Southnern sleaze that makes you want to strangle him every time he opens his mouth. This is the first villainous role that DiCaprio has played and I was interested to see if he could pull it off. Saying it was a success is an understatement. Every time Candie is on the screen, you can't take your eyes off of him. As the film moves on, it's apparent that Candie's Southern charm or smarm is about to wear off and when it does, all hell breaks loose.

Samuel L. Jackson also turns in a good performance as Stephen, Candie's house slave, that adores his owner. Stephen is easily the most hated person in the film. He's a trader to his people. A sin that's worse than anything a white man can commit upon a black man. Jackson's character borderlines on cartoonish, but he's still highly entertaining.

My favorite thing about Tarantino's work is how passionate he is about film. His passion can really be felt while watching his movies. Django is no different. It's easy to see how Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns have influenced him. The expansive wide shots of the terrain, to the extreme close-ups of a face or a gun.

Django is a perfect companion piece to some of QT's other works like Basterds and even Kill Bill. It's about revenge and setting the record straight. The violence is sometimes over the top, but you can't help but crack a smile as justice is being served. Like the opening slate says in Kill Bill, "Revenge is a dish best served cold." In Django, revenge is also a dish best served bloody and screaming.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

UNCUT & IN FULL COLOR

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast