Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
Just got the chance to see Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood this afternoon. I absolutely loved it. Tarantino has just nailed the art of moviemaking. Every scene, every camera angle, the edits in all the right places, the pitch perfect dialog, using famous actors just for a pop-in scene, the music selections...it's all just perfection. I knew I was in for a treat from the very first scene with the guy interviewing Rick and Cliff. The way it was cut
(ham-fisted and completely unsophisticated...and completely on purpose) was a call-out to how things were done back then, when the viewer wouldn't care or even notice. Today an interviewer wouldn't be caught dead the way that was edited.

I had avoided most of the discussion on the movie, so I was completely surprised at how the last 30 minutes played out. Completely surprised. And I loved it! Wonderful film. Wonderful movie-making.

And for those that criticize the Bruce Lee scene? Have you ever heard him talk? Seen his interviews? Documentary footage? He talked exactly like that. "You must become one with the fist...and it's all groovy, man." The actor had his voice inflections, his physical mannerisms, his accent, down pat. It was very VERY good. I didn't see any part of the scene at all "making fun" of Lee, or offering him up as a laughingstock. If his daughter heard people in the theater laughing, it's probably because they were not familiar with Lee's very specific speaking and fighting style. Maybe it "sounds funny." But that's not Tarantino's fault. The only quibble I had was that Lee would have ended up on his ass by a has-been stunt double, but I know why Tarantino did it; to establish some things that come up much later in the film. So it didn't bother me.
She had no problem with the actor portraying Lee other than the fact that she felt he was told to play the part as a caricature.

"She said she didn’t take issue, however, with Moh, the serious Bruce Lee fan who plays him in the film. She said he did a good job with some of her father’s mannerisms, and his voice."