Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: Quentin Tarantino Movie Discussion

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I get it. Whatever you folks may think, I know what I like. For the record I never said that GR was as good as QT. Just that he seems (to me anyway) to be a British version of QT in his choice of genre and general style. I LOVE QT films, pretty much anything he wishes to put on celluloid and I also LIKE GR films when he creates films in his element like, Rock n Rolla, Snatch, The Gentlemen, etc.

I did enjoy the Sherlock Holmes films also. Shoot me. FWIW I watch films to just enjoy them not critique them. Not that there is anything wrong with doing either. To each his own by all means. Also FWIW I think, SNATCH is his best work so far. PULP FICTION gets my vote as QT's best so far, but man that is a far more difficult choice to make. DJANGO and INGLORIOUS BASTERDS are right there at the top of my list as well.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Okay, I get it. Whatever you folks may think, I know what I like. For the record I never said that GR was as good as QT. Just that he seems (to me anyway) to be a British version of QT in his choice of genre and general style. I LOVE QT films, pretty much anything he wishes to put on celluloid and I also LIKE GR films when he creates films in his element like, Rock n Rolla, Snatch, The Gentlemen, etc.

I did enjoy the Sherlock Holmes films also. Shoot me. FWIW I watch films to just enjoy them not critique them. Not that there is anything wrong with doing either. To each his own by all means. Also FWIW I think, SNATCH is his best work so far. PULP FICTION gets my vote as QT's best so far, but man that is a far more difficult choice to make. DJANGO and INGLORIOUS BASTERDS are right there at the top of my list as well.
    I can totally see what you were saying in your initial post. Made some good points. Regarding Sherlock Holmes how completely badass are those slow-mo fights first fights!

You know what movie gets better and better the more you watch- Jackie Brown.

If you have not seen it in a while check it out.
    May be my favorite of his actually.

seeking: anything DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

I can totally see what you were saying in your initial post. Made some good points. Regarding Sherlock Holmes how completely badass are those slow-mo fights first fights!

I have actually seen it recently and yes, it is undefilm.r rated. A great
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Funny that you bring up Jackie Brown (yes, it's underrated). I come up to bed last night and my wife is watching an episode of Miami Vice and Pam Grier is in it, and
    Spoiler:
    she takes the law into her own hands and takes on the killer of her sister
    - can you hear the soundtrack? What a badass!

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post

Funny that you bring up Jackie Brown (yes, it's underrated). I come up to bed last night and my wife is watching an episode of Miami Vice and Pam Grier is in it, and
    Spoiler:
    Being married to a woman that watches Miami Vice. . . That is badass!

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

Once a week I go to bed with my sockless white linen shoes and my white linen suit on, pushed up to the elbows of course, and do my best Sonny impersonation.

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

Once a week I go to bed with my sockless white linen shoes and my white linen suit on, pushed up to the elbows of course, and do my best Sonny impersonation.
    Terqoise tee? The only way this could be MORE sexy is if you said she dressed as Tubbs.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Guy Richie (in a term Merlin1958 would understand) can't hold QT's jock.
    You can say that. We can't.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Guy Ritchie's films (well some of them), but yeah there's no comparison for me. Tarantino is just a much better storyteller all around.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I love Tarantino. He's easily one of my favorite directors. And I also really love Ritchie's earlier works. They definitely had a lot of style. When it comes to dialog and overall storyline I'd definitely rank Tarantino on top, but I don't think that takes away from Ritchie. However he did loose me when he went all Hollywood with Sherlock Holmes, and I haven't seen anything since. I do really want to see The Gentlemen though as I heard it's a throwback to his earlier films.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I love Tarantino. He's easily one of my favorite directors. And I also really love Ritchie's earlier works. They definitely had a lot of style. When it comes to dialog and overall storyline I'd definitely rank Tarantino on top, but I don't think that takes away from Ritchie. However he did loose me when he went all Hollywood with Sherlock Holmes, and I haven't seen anything since. I do really want to see The Gentlemen though as I heard it's a throwback to his earlier films.
    The Gentlemen is definitely a return to the "Snatch" days. I guess they have very different styles but very similar subject matter. I also think they are both very good storyteller at the heart of it all just very divergent film making techniques. They both like to sprinkle the "Flash back/forward" technique though maybe more so for QT. GR loves the "slo-mo" shots and, I think" uses them very well. Both are very good editors, but GR sometimes gets a little carried away with them while QT is a master. Both have very cool dialog and vernacular for the genre, but again, QT is the superior one. You can't deny the similarities, but one is a master and the other is still the padawan. lol

Better take for a neophyte? lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'm DYING to know your thoughts on Gentlemen. I had a blast.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Tell me one thing. Is THE GENTLEMEN full of quick cuts like KING ARTHUR? That's the only reason I did not go see it, I absolutely could not stand KA. I don't know why I did not walk out of the theater after 10 minutes.
    A couple that I recall, but nowhere near numerous. i didn't see KA.

Oh, and I just thought of another reason GR is like QT. Ritchie has also only done under 10 quality films!!! LOL

Spoiler:
    I'm well aware that all 9(?) QT films are arguably "Classic's". Just a little tongue in cheek humor there. Heh heh
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

What the hell, I'll put THE GENTLEMEN on my Netflix list.

As for Mister Tarantino, the only one of his films I did not really go bonkers for was JACKIE BROWN, but I've only seen it once, I have to watch it again one of these days. I thought I didn't like INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, but when I watched it the 2nd time I loved it. And I absolutely hate parts of DEATH PROOF (Kurt Russel eating and some of the female characters just completely repulse me) and I HAVE seen that one twice. But nobody's perfect...

Spoiler:
    Although Bill and I come darn close!

And will you people PLEASE stop saying things about IF IT BLEEDS without using spoiler tags! You know who you are!!!
    YEAH, what, Steve-o said!!!!!!

Spoiler:
    i ordered my reading copy the day it was announced last year and STILL it has not been shipped!!! I keep telling Amazon that it's definitely ESSENTIAL!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Tell me one thing. Is THE GENTLEMEN full of quick cuts like KING ARTHUR? That's the only reason I did not go see it, I absolutely could not stand KA. I don't know why I did not walk out of the theater after 10 minutes.
    Nah, the film really is in the mold of Ritchie's English gangster films. What sets it apart from those other films is the very interesting way the story unfolds.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Watched QT8: The First Eight last night. Really enjoyed it. Definitely recommend to all the Tarantino fans here.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have that in my Netflix queue. I was wondering if you'd seen it yet. Does it cover all his films so far?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The first eight, so everything except Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. They also talked a tiny bit about True Romance and Natural Born Killers. And they talked to quite a few of the actors from his films and gave insight into the making of them. Very interesting.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool. It sounds like it'll be worth a watch! Also, I just read this. Is sounds terrible.

Scrapped Pulp Fiction Prequel
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Cool. It sounds like it'll be worth a watch! Also, I just read this. Is sounds terrible.

Scrapped Pulp Fiction Prequel
    Is that in reference to the Vega brothers film? I heard about that years ago. I think it would have been really interesting though.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it is. I had never heard of the scrapped plans before.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't argue with that. It's a fucking great film IMO!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We'll find out during our next tournament.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

A few months ago, I got to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood for the 2nd time on the big screen, and I suddenly found myself comparing and contrasting it to one of my favorite films, Withnail & I. Not that they're remotey similar in terms of style or execution, but they both explore the end of a decade from the point of view of actors. If anyone fancies a read, here's the link:

The end of a decade: Comparing and contrasting Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Withnail & I
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 LastLast