Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinnies...and Similar Phenomena

Traveler thevioletcreep is on a distinguished road

Default The Mist/ Buick 8 question

In "The Mist" the mist is supposed to be a thinny. If this is so, what is the car in "From A Buick 8" is it a contained thinny? Something else?
    The similarities are there, the things that come from either exhibit the same characteristics, i.e. turn black and give off vapors, etc. Just wondering.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Spoiler for The Dark Tower Series and Low Men in Yellow Coats.

Spoiler:
    Its a can-toi or "Low Man" car
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Spoiler for The Dark Tower Series and Low Men in Yellow Coats.

Spoiler:
    Its a can-toi or "Low Man" car
    cool, that's what i thought of it too.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

And thats not just my theory, thats from Mr. King.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Traveler thevioletcreep is on a distinguished road

I figured that, but they act as thinnies? On this I wasn't so sure, thanks!

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

They act more like The Jaunt. It goes to another world, whereas the thinny in the mist and in Deadbolt Canyon led to todash space.

The Buick 8 was also similar to the teleport from The Tommyknockers.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Wait wait wait....

The Mist is my very fav SK short, and I don't remember there being a thinny.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think their referring the dimension rift opened due to the military's meddling with The Arrowhead Project.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

That makes more sense.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

Default Thinnies...and Similar Phenomena

There are obvious thinnies in Ms. Todd's Shortcut and in Crouch End...but is there a thinny in Pet Semetary? I'm currently re-reading it, and Louis' hike to the burial ground is very interesting. In a nutshell...
    • plants unlike Lou has ever seen
    • stars with no recognizable constellations
    • a mist, low at first, then once he's in, is completely dense
    • the mist is unaffected by the strong gales of wind that Lou can hear....he think of this place as being seperated from the world around it
    • time difference...what feels like half the night only took a few hours.
    • A sixty-foot-tall creature walks by. Because of the mist, He can only vaguely make out it's shape.

I thought that was all pretty interesting! What do you think?

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have not read or heard of Ms. Todds Shortcut or Crouch end, So I really have no input on this

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Crouch End is in Nightmares & Dreamscapes I think and Mrs. Todd's Shortcut is in Skeleton Crew... both very good.. the Crouch End that they did in the Nightmares & Dreamscapes tv series was really good for an adaptation.. to me at least.

I agree with Grillslinger... Both of those have to be thinnies, although I hadn't even thought of Crouch End... and idk about Pet Semetary.. I was just under the impression that it was different because of what it was.. but you might have something..

+ Reply to Thread