Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do you need to write?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I write for all kinds of reasons.

I write to capture moments in time. Life moves so fast, and if I fail to at least write some of it down, I feel like the story of my life may be lost some day. So, I guess my non-fiction writing is for sentimental reasons.

I write to express emotion. This usually comes out as poetry. Sometimes the world can be so beautiful or ugly, sometimes my soul can feel so full or so empty, that I can only sum it up with jumbles of words that pour out too quickly to form anything other than a poem.

Lastly, I write because I feel like I have all these tiny stories/ideas that pop up out of nowhere and leave me with a feeling of needing to give breath to that idea. They usually grow quickly, start to breathe, really coming to life...then collect dust in the corner of my mind and laptop. This is my saddest form of writing. Because these people I've created will come to mind at times, and I feel such a sense of helplessness for not being able to do more with them. [Sounds psycho, but I know that fellow writers can understand that].

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Those who've read my writing will surely tell you I don't need to write.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I write because I am a paradox

I beat up nerds and jocks

I am small and a bully

Mama did not suckle me fully

I came out smaller then rest

Moving quickly from her breast.

My moves avoiding the cudgel of all.

I smiled as I swung the cord and used the placenta as a maul!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I write to create people. I write to both invert and subvert society. I write to shatter perspective. I write my own experiences and apply them to characters as both a method of memoir writing and a method of self-reflection. I write as a platform for what is probably my greatest of passions, understanding human beings. Most of all, I write in hopes of creating empathy where none existed before. This is unpolished by one of my personal favourite paragraphs I've written.

Lloyd ambles to his paltry corner of the unit consisting of only three wrinkled cardboard boxes squeezed between a simple brown couch and a worn and scratched coffee table: Lloyd was married for nine years and together with his wife for thirteen years and this is all he has to show for it. The tops of the boxes are still garnished with the dust from his old apartment and the apartment before that and touching the top of his trinity of memorabilia turns his fingertip black. He tosses the top box on the couch and plunks beside it. Dust combusts as he pries the folded top open and he waves it away from his face. Inside the box there is a baseball darkened with scuff marks with loose red stitching, the counterpart to his bloodied bat. Seeing that baseball was the single halcyon ingredient in Lloyd’s relationship with his father Lloyd forced the game on Zachary who, much like Lloyd himself, wasn’t a very athletic kid but he was unequipped to bond with his son otherwise; it was only when hitting Zachary ground balls or working to build up his swing that Lloyd could believe this was the only way he was like his father but he knows now, years removed from those lessons, that his footprints are superimposed on his father’s and that makes him terrified to turn around and find little footprints within his. He drops the baseball on the couch and it rolls off, bounces on the floor and is claimed by Andy’s possessions. He lights a cigarette and pulls out the next object, a glittery, purple-pink set of butterfly wings his wife had made for Nikki’s Halloween costume when she was four and he remembers her uncanny radiance in it as if that was the moment her beauty broke free of its chrysalis. He runs his fingers along the rough contours of the pattern embroidered in the wings and he chokes on the pain of losing his daughter, whose eyes alone now prevent him from filtering his fury and self-pity on women or subjecting them to his shameful advances: for some time he’s inflicted himself with celibacy in hopes to starve that part of him. Lloyd isn’t sure if he loved Zachary because he was too much like himself but Nikki he loved, Nikki he placed on a monolithic pedestal that buries mountains in its shadow, Nikki he saved from himself because he knew the purity and innocence she exuded was temporary because whether he wanted to or not he would rip those qualities right out of her, so, like every other woman he’s powerless not to subjugate, he leaves his beloved daughter alone. The remaining trinkets in the box elicit such little strife he opens the next one to drink suffering if he can’t drink whiskey.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Along the Path of the Beam Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am a recreational writer.
    I have a career as a man of science.

I write 'cuz it's fun.
    When I write about the past I use historical facts.
    When I write about the present, it is usually romance, suspense & spirituality.
    When I write about the future, well... I'm freer than a bird. My imagination sky rockets to realms, realities, time travel, consciousness projecting and super luminal journeys.

I have a few short stories that hopefully will be published in my university paper.

Cheers
    Greg M.
    Last edited by Eternal Unity; 05-04-2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Grammar

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Writing poetry is my favorite writing. I'm ok with short stories but I am absolutely clueless as to how one can write a novel.

Along the Path of the Beam Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Writing poetry is my favorite writing. I'm ok with short stories but I am absolutely clueless as to how one can write a novel.
    You tie up a bunch of short ones and make like 50 pages... from there it just comes.
    Don't write in advance, as to some future event, the happening of which is uncertain. Make up as you go along... see what works for you and your process.

Good Luck, Greg

Along the Path of the Beam Jerrika has a spectacular aura about Jerrika has a spectacular aura about Jerrika's Avatar

Writing is my therapy. It helps me to organize my thoughts and to deal with things I'm going through.
    "Sometimes dead is better." ~ Jud Crandall

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Unity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You tie up a bunch of short ones and make like 50 pages... from there it just comes.
    Don't write in advance, as to some future event, the happening of which is uncertain. Make up as you go along... see what works for you and your process.

Good Luck, Greg
    Yeah but it's SOOOOOO hard to make 100,000 words rhyme!!

Traveler JohnEmy is on a distinguished road

The primary reason for writing anything is to communicate with others, to stimulate interest or action from the reader. As a person who writes regularly on Quora, I should be writing something original to this question. Students talk about their writing lives · I like to write because it is a way to express my ideas. · I love to write, just for myself, as a way to release stress http://cuddlebite.com.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2