Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Overlooked, Under-Appreciated or Un-Appreciated Performances

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Juliette Lewis had an amazing role in a movie called The Other Sister.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh Matt, I was going to use that as an example of how she's usually off !! Oh noooo !! I really disliked that movie, and just about everyone in it, so we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one.

I'd like to throw out there, kind of a cheesy film ( though I admit that I liked it alot ) but John Lone in Iceman. That is simply an incredible performance. He plays a caveman who is brought back to life after being frozen. Yes, I know, you have to "let the science go" as they say, and just let the art flow over you. Regardless, I believe his performance is a stand-out and MUCH overlooked.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Keanu Reeves in Thumbsucker. It's the most perfect casting ever.

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ewan mcgregor and ryan gosling in "stay"....great performances i thought
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IWasSentWest View Post
    ewan mcgregor and ryan gosling in "stay"....great performances i thought
    ditto... i love that movie

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I agree about Peter O'Toole in My Favorite Year. He owns that movie!!

I can't agree about Nicholson in Batman, though. Sorry. I feel he played it just a little too cheeky. I think Heath Ledger's performance, in the upcoming film, is going to re-define the Joker as the creepy, socio-path that he is.
    OMG, someone else who has seen that movie. I have never run across anyone who has seen it.

"Hey! This is for ladies only."
    "So is this" *ZIP* "But ever now and then I have to run a little water through it."
    "A man walks into a bar with a duck on his head."
    "No no no. It's a guy, never a man."
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Gay

I just watched The Contender for about the tenth time.

There is nothing in this movie that doesn't work. The performances all around are just outstanding !!!

I don't see how this movie didn't put Joan Allen in the upper echelon of actresses. She is outstanding.

It's also one of the best performances by Gary Oldman that I've ever seen.

I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen it.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Gay

Another Overlooked, Under-Appreciated or Un-Appreciated Performance - Have any of you all seen American Buffalo?

Wow! What a great movie.

Dustin Hoffman is just GREAT. Dennis Franz just disappears into his character and nails it.

Actually the whole movie is great.

And it's a David Mamet script, so you know it's a cool talker.

I was lucky enough to see Al Pacino perform in the play version of American Buffalo, and to be honest - this film version with Dustin Hoffman playing "Teach" is just as good.

Catch if it you can. It's on IFC and Sundance sometimes.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that Leonardo Dicaprio's performance in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape is often overlooked. I didn't know who he was at the time, and he fell into the role so completey, that I thought that he was genuinely retarded. It really was amazing

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

good call browning's childe. I totally agree.

you know I was posting earlier in R_of_G's thread and it got me thinking about Melanie in Jackie Brown. Did she ever get proper props? She rocked that role all around. You know in another life I could totally lay around and get high.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I don't think anyone's mentioned Joan Fontaine yet. I'm becoming a huge fan of hers. I thought she shined in both Rebecca and Suspicion. Too bad she didn't do more films with Hitchcock.
    I also recently watched Jane Eyre with her and Orson Welles. Granted this wasn't the best adaptation of that story, but I thought both were wonderfully cast, and worked very well together.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Gay

Joan Fontaine - Yes, very under-rated as an actress. I think she definitely got overshadowed by Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn, etc. The 40's were an era when actresses really excelled.

Rebecca is a classic!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Rebecca is a classic!
    One of my all time favorite films. It's sad that it doesn't get much recognition. It tends to get overshadowed by his other films.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ben Affleck was tha bomb in Phantoms yo!!

Actually I was going to say Ben Affleck's performance in Dogma is one that often gets overlooked. The film is a great one (even better than the holey bartender joke) but I thought I'd add that anyway.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Gay

Well, 1940 was an impressive year. She did get nominated for Rebecca, though. Tough category though - up against Kate Hepburn, Bette Davis, Ginger Rogers, etc.

Definitely one of the Golden Years of Film.

My Mood
    Gay

Sam - Ben Affleck in Hollywoodland is an amazing performance, as well. IMHO.

Hollywoodland is probably my favorite of his.

I also think I've mentioned this before in numerous threads, but I'll add it here as well
    Christian Bale in The Machinist

Country
    Country Flag

You are correct oh wise shell-ed one. I had blocked out Hollywoodland since I really didn't like it at all.

How about Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show. Boring film but a complex performance.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    How about Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show. Boring film but a complex performance.
    Fiennes was good, but not as good as John Turturro. Turturro was the perfect Herb Stempel. I also thought Rob Morrow was very good in it, but after Northern Exposure, he can do no wrong in my eyes.

And of course it was boring, it was a Redford film.

Incidentally, Quiz Show was the movie my wife and I saw on our first date, so it has sentimental value to me even if it's not the greatest movie.

Country
    Country Flag

AAAAAGGGHHHHH!!! I couldn't remember Turturro's fucking name!!! You are absolutely correct. He was GREAT as Stemple.

I know what you mean about the sentimental bit. My wife and I first went out to see Braveheart. Our first date was just as friends, but it began a series of goings out that led to us falling in love. I still love that film, and it sits in my personal top ten for just that reason.

My Mood
    Gay

OMG !!

I loved Quiz Show !! I've seen it about seven hundred times. I don't think it's boring at all. The only thing that bothers me is Rob Morrow's fake Boston accent ( which he does very poorly ).

Oh, I guess I'm in the minority here - Ordinary People, Quiz Show, A River Runs Through It, The Horse Whisperer. I really enjoyed all of these and thought he did a good job directing them.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't enjoy Redford's films. They are typically very well done, but they are still often quite long and tend to drag a bit. That's not to say in any way that they're bad, especially Ordinary People which is phenomenal, but they could use another pass in the editing suite.

My Mood
    Gay

I will agree that he does LOVE his cinematography.

Ordinary People is brilliant. Anyone who can make me hate Mary Tyler Moore, now that's directing!

Also, her performance is scary good.

I just rewatched the film James Dean the other night, and I have to give a shout out to James Franco for his portrayal of Dean. His is just amazing in this film. So good in fact that almost immediately I completely forgot it was Franco on the screen and not Dean himself. He even got Dean's unusual little mannerisms down, which is actually one of the things I love about Dean. You never quite know how he's going to react. Definitely a very different type of actor from most others. I think it might even get my vote for one of the best performances from an actor ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I just rewatched the film James Dean the other night, and I have to give a shout out to James Franco for his portrayal of Dean. His is just amazing in this film. So good in fact that almost immediately I completely forgot it was Franco on the screen and not Dean himself. He even got Dean's unusual little mannerisms down, which is actually one of the things I love about Dean. You never quite know how he's going to react. Definitely a very different type of actor from most others. I think it might even get my vote for one of the best performances from an actor ever.
    Agree completely on this particular performance and Franco in general. He was great in Freaks & Geeks. He was great in the Dean film. He stops being James Franco and starts being his character almost instantly which is something I look for in actors, and not easy to do playing someone as iconic as James Dean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast