Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlestar Galactica

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh baby!

Love that Bear McCreary theme music!
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hubby & I cozied up to some Battlestar folks yesterday!

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome.

Where?

Anyone watch Blood and Chrome last night?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

SyFy has had Blood & Chrome available on Youtube in HD for a while, so I watched it over the holidays.

I love BSG, it might be my current all time favorite show. I even liked Caprica once things picked up in the second half of the season, but I'd only give Blood & Chrome 3 out of 5 stars.
    It was good enough, but I thought it was very standard blow stuff up scifi. I like that as much as anyone else, but it's not why I watch BSG.
    BSG and Caprica were different and tried something new, this was really just more of the same with a lot of filler. (I think that still places it far above The Plan.)

Could it be turned into an interesting series? Possibly, but I'd still like to see a pair of movies like this bridging Caprica with Blood & Chrome. (One to cover the colonial civil war when the humans first use Cylons in combat and one to cover the outbreak of the Cylon revolt.)

I'll watch it again once I get the blu-ray and see if my opinion changes at all.
    Mark Twain

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Damn, I still need to watch the final eps of BSG. I think, after I'm done with the current season of Who I'm on, I'll finally get round to watching those final eps.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Awesome.

Where?
    At the Sci Fi Expo in Dallas!

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Damn, I still need to watch the final eps of BSG. I think, after I'm done with the current season of Who I'm on, I'll finally get round to watching those final eps.
    All due respect to Dr. Who....but compared to BSG, it is a flaming turd.

I like Dr. Who...don't get me wrong, but BSG was a 9 out of 10 where DW is a 7 out of 10.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Shouldn't even be compared. As a scifi show, Doctor Who pretty much sucks, as it's hardly ever been remotely believable in its science. At best, it's science fantasy that's closer to Star Wars (the original trilogy that was actually fun to watch, I mean) than the new BSG, which is a very focused, epic story that not only explores the idea of how humanity would survive after an apocalypse (albeit one with spaceships) but carefully examines the political and philosophical sides of it while including some very character driven stories.

With Who, it has a monster of the week formula to it pretty much every week these days. However, what makes it one of my favourite shows ever isn't just the fact that, long term, it takes a look at one man who evolves and changes over the centuries, both mentally and physically, and seeing how he affects the people he travels with (even in the classic series, while there's been a fair few annoying companions who don't change at all, there are plenty who clearly grow when travelling with the Doctor), not only has it, at its best, explored themes of depression, war, love etc in so many of its stories, but the key thing that makes it different to BSG: it's fun. Yes, BSG has some seriously kickass battles, but that's not what I'm referring to. Doctor Who is one of the few truly great tv and even film experiences that a whole family can sit down and enjoy. I've been watching it for over a decade and a half now, and it's lost none of the magic it had for me when watching it the first time.

In short, BSG is a modern-day scifi masterpiece, and I'm very keen on finishing the series soon. Doctor Who belongs in the category of family-friendly awesomeness along with Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Harry Potter.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just watched a few more eps of BSG. Now I only have 7 more eps to watch. This is why I don't try to watch it often, with months in between seasons at least, if I can help it - it's one of the few shows I don't want to end. Ah well. Anyway, watched A Disquiet Follows My Soul, The Oath and Blood on the Scales. Bloody hell, that was some intense viewing. Loved that even with a pretty major plot point of the entire series resolved, the show still continues to give us more of the same incredibly intense viewing that was so great about the best episodes of the series. Actually perfect that I watched all 3 in one go - it was a nice combination of build-up, escalating conflict and then finally an epic climax worthy of a season finale. Cracking stuff.

- Melike

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished the first season.
    Spoiler:

My only gripe is I HATE babies and/or pregnancy as plot (I believe SK has said the same thing). It's just so contrived and boring and you always have the dramatic labor scene and I hate all of it. I would like them delivered by stork.

Adama better be alive.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Isn't that finale amazing, Sarah? Truly cracking stuff. Oh, and thank you for reminding me how awesome this show is - now I only have 7 eps left to watch! Oh well. I spose I was gonna reach the ending sooner or later. Still trying to delay watching that ending though for as long as I can.

- Melike

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

2.16 Sacrifice:
    Spoiler:
    I'm sad Billy's dead, and also that he got his heart broken before he died. Poor Billy. However, I am still not entirely convinced he wasn't a Cylon. I have to restrain myself from checking IMDB to see if he comes back later.

I'm also getting really pissed about how all the young people are in love with three people at a time. Get a grip and pick one, or don't pick one and get some cats. Especially Starbuck, she was way cooler before she started moping and drinking and acting like a freak. I hate how they had a strong female character and made her get all messed up over a boy. She should be all, "I'm stealing a ship and rescuing them and you can't stop me!" Not "He's totally dead even though I have no way of knowing if that's true or not! Waaah! Wait, now I love Lee! Wait, now I'm not over pyramid boy! Now Lee again!"

Where is Baltar? I miss him. I also want to know why he's not testing blood samples, or making someone do it. Everyone just pretends it doesn't exist and then throws in some line about "aren't you done yet?" I feel like they shouldn't have introduced it as a plot point if they were going to ignore it to draw out suspense.

I just realized in this universe there may be no more cats. That's upsetting.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    I just realized in this universe there may be no more cats. That's upsetting.
    I will give you this...there are cats.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks!

Just finished season 2... holy crap! I really do think they hit me with too much stuff at once and I got overwhelmed.
    Spoiler:
    Why hasn't anyone assassinated Baltar yet? Pretty much my favorite part was watching Laura go around with her "I told you so" face on the entire time. She didn't even seem fazed when the Cylons came, just "yep, knew that would happen." I'm kind of disappointed she and Adama haven't had sex yet. We all know it's coming.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

How I envy you. Watching the first of the 3 part finale right now.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished it. A very, very satisfying conclusion, imo. Got almost as emotional over it as the endings to Life on Mars and Broken Saints, and that is saying something. A little long in some places, but I think it had earned it. Had the right mix of impact for both story and emotion, something that is very tricky to get right with some shows. Even better, it's a show I won't mind at all rewatching at some point. Awesome stuff.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    HOLY CRAP. THEY KILLED ELLEN.

I had to watch it twice to make sure. I didn't like her at all, but I'm kind of sad to see her go anyway.

I knew Casey wasn't Kara's.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

some of the things I liked about this show was how they threw stereotypes out the window. The best pilot was a woman. A lot of the original fans weren't to happy with that, plus did yall notice that Six was taller that Baltar

Country
    Country Flag

YES. I kind of love Six being taller. And she still wears heels and looks fabulous. I believe Boomer also used to be a man on the original series. And there's Ellen, who's older than 35 yet still has men falling all over her, instead of having her play a grandma like they probably would have done 20 years ago.

Yet another example of sci-fi being more progressive on women's roles.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Absolutely, in fact the show seemed to be great at fucking with your expectations in general. It's why I loved the episode Downloaded:

Spoiler:
    Revealing that Head Six and Caprica Six were completely different was a stroke of genius - even better than that was Caprica Six seeing Head Baltar. It was just such a shock to find out that, contrary to what we'd been lead to expect, the cylon that Baltar dated shagged on a regular basis with wasn't some high-up, highly confident, borderline dominatrix of a woman - she was just a cylon who had done her duty.

Not only that, but I thought it was an excellent use of allegory that much of the best scifi do so well, here on a more intimate level: that often, the woman or man you're completely in love with can be completely different to the idealised version you choose to see them as. That was a great bit of storytelling that I really appreciated.

Fuck, I've barely finished this show and I'm already itching to watch it again. Well, I think I should watch The Plan first, anyway, possibly Blood & Chrome before commencing on a rewatch just yet.

- Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

one part of the final episodes that i liked was
    Spoiler:
    them rescuing Hera and both Baltar and Six seeing the *avatars* and saying at the same time "You can see them?"

The plan was awesome....did you also watch Razor? I liked the ideas behind both.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    one part of the final episodes that i liked was
    Spoiler:
    them rescuing Hera and both Baltar and Six seeing the *avatars* and saying at the same time "You can see them?"
    YES. Absolutely adored that moment.

Spoiler:
    Really loved the journey of not just the relationship between the two since the mini-series but also of Baltar himself, especially when he finally did a selfless act in the final episode. Amazing stuff.

The plan was awesome....did you also watch Razor? I liked the ideas behind both.
    I've seen Razor, that was good stuff. Really liked how it went into even further backstory and foreshadowing for season 4.

- Melike

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved the series, but hated The Plan.
    It really felt contrived, added nothing to the show, and IMO actually cheapened parts of the series.

If I could do it all over again, I would skip it.
    Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast