Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: François Villon Contest

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default François Villon Contest

Legend says that around 1458, Charles d'Orleans (duke, and prominent poet of his time) held a poetic contest, where everyone was to compose a ballade starting with the line

Je meurs de soif auprès de la fontaine
    I die of thirst at the fountain side

Many beautiful things were created, but it was François Villon who, having composed the brilliant, deep, eternal Ballad of Contradictions, came out winner. Thus, our contest is named after him.

A new opening line will be given every Thursday, or, if the things go slower than expected, on the 17th of every month. It is offered by the one who was the first to post in the previous round; thus, s/he plays Charles d'Orleans in this very round. If s/he has already been Charles d'Orleans, the next one to post plays this part in this round, and so on, till everybody has been the duke once, - and then we restart.

If the round is over, but your inspiration prompts you to start with a line already used in one of the previous rounds, feel free to do so! The list of all lines will be at the bottom of this post.

And Nikolett must post a poem in every round.

Current opening line:

Where do I go from here? (Odetta)

Previous opening lines:

His king is dead. His army is defeated. (Jean)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

His king is dead. His enemy is defeated.
    There is nothing left.
    The throws of revenge have conquered his soul
    The fires of hell await him.

The sweat falls from his brow.
    Impending death is drawing nigh
    A whisper in the wind.

The assassin draws his sword.
    No prayers, no pleas, no cries for peace
    His final breath is drawn.

(my first poem I've ever written)
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That was great Odetta. I don't know poetry but I really enjoyed reading it and that's probably all that matters.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

yeah, I don't know much about it either... I think poetry can be pretty free form, if one wants it to be.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

The Rise of Phoenix

His king is dead. His army is defeated.
    and yet, there is no retreat.
    Surrender is a word not in his lexicon
    and he shall remain cold to this heat
    he orders his men to bring his horse
    and gallantly takes his seat.
    "Men, today some of you become heroes;
    making our legend complete;
    for knowing you that today you die,
    you wont leave this war incomplete.
    So I challenge you, today, this hour,
    to help me destiny cheat,
    and we shall overcome our foes,
    and tread them with our feet"
    So saying he rose, and heard a cheer
    that gods in hell did greet.
    And while he thrust his sword into the air
    prayed goodbye, to golden Marguerite.

Ok, there you go. Not much, but I tried to take it in a different direction.

nice job with your own, Odetta.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

thanks, John... I enjoyed yours as well.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

The king is dead, his army defeated
    He hangs his head in woe.
    His turrets crumble
    His home destroyed
    He has nowhere to go.

The king leads the last
    remaining men
    to the strong-hold
    by the river

There he finds
    in the nick of time
    His conqueror fast asleep

And with his blade
    The king ends his days
    Of woe no longer defeated.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

nice, Nerak!
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the three poems are great - I will comment in details later when my server comes to its senses, but already now I can say it's amazing to see what different turns poetic mind takes

thank you friends! A new opening line will be offered every Thursday (that's our day), by the one who was the first to post a poem in the previous round (this time it should be Odetta, but no earlier than Thursday). I'll elaborate on the rules later.

Country
    Country Flag

Ronin

My king is dead. My army is defeated.
    My men are where the rivers flow with milk.
    The drum is mute with nobody to beat it.
    The banner is a piece of colored silk.

Now I am free. - All foundations shaken -
    My honor gone, my pledge no more my doom -
    Free like a seed the soil refused to take in,
    Free like a bride deserted by the groom.

The cause was just, deals fair and dealers honest,
    Until the righteous choked on their own right.
    The summer scorned all that the spring had promised.
    The die was cast. It rolled way out of sight.

My Mood
    Breezy

nice poem, Jean, I like it.

Country
    Country Flag

thank you John... yes, it surely shows that the author read Kipling - and is, generally speaking, very well read. That's all. It is not real poetry, unlike some other stuff posted around here, including yours.

My Mood
    Breezy

shut up, you know you're talented, stop fishing for compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    the three poems are great - I will comment in details later when my server comes to its senses, but already now I can say it's amazing to see what different turns poetic mind takes

thank you friends! A new opening line will be offered every Thursday (that's our day), by the one who was the first to post a poem in the previous round (this time it should be Odetta, but no earlier than Thursday). I'll elaborate on the rules later.

OK... I'll post a new line on Thursday.

My Mood
    Breezy

there you go peoples, you have until thursday to still do one for this....

please don't be shy, we won't laugh. Unless it's funny.

Country
    Country Flag

I have updated the rules, they are in the first post

My Mood
    Breezy

I have an addition to make to the rules.

Letti must post also.

Gunslinger Apprentice The_Nameless is on a distinguished road The_Nameless's Avatar

His King is dead. His army is defeated.
    Now is not the time for heroes.
    The myths that come, the tales ever repeated,
    will be a reminder of this blackest of eves.

The majesty mounted his steed,
    calling out for all to hear.
    His invocations of bravery,
    his declamations of freedom,
    all lost as the crowd did cheer.

The arrows did soar, the swords did clash.
    The sky roared, the field alight with lighting flash.
    Clandestine archers strike from passing cart.
    Their arrows piercing finding beating heart.

My king is dead. His armies are defeated.
    My enemies will, his foes decree,
    followed out for all to see.
    Watch me now, he cried.
    Your kingdom decimated, my actions completed.

Without home, I will now wander.
    Without country, I will wallow.
    To ramble along, my course to ponder.
    And in my path, death will follow.
    "Help me out here
    All my words are falling short
    And there's so much I want to say"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    I have an addition to make to the rules.

Letti must post also.
    I agree she should.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

totally. I've edited the rules accordingly.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ha, now it is a rule Letti.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Breezy

nice addition nameless.

Gunslinger Apprentice The_Nameless is on a distinguished road The_Nameless's Avatar

There you go, Letti. You have no choice now.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze
    nice addition nameless.
    Thank you, sir. I didn't really have anything until I was inspired by yours.
    "Help me out here
    All my words are falling short
    And there's so much I want to say"

My Mood
    Breezy

yeah, i noticed you stole my saddle line!

j/k!

no seriously, it's good.

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The King is dead, His army defeated,
    No sooner won than lost again.
    The land is gone, the King forgotten,
    No sweeter life was destroyed, then.

The song is sung, the time flies by,
    And though He's gone, His love is still sent.
    The Summer is here, the Sovereign bested,
    His men decimated, and His weapons bent.

The kingdom is gone, but not forgotten,
    The riches of the land were quickly spent.
    The time has come, the land lies in ruins,
    Though mayhap His Spring will return again.

You can blame Daniel for that poem. If he hadn't said anything, I'd never have even thought of it.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Discord Tag: Can*/Tommy (They/Them pronouns)#5588

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast