35 56.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Harry Potter Book Discussion

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Enter the Good Snape/Bad Snape argument.
    For what it's worth, I think Snape is good.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Gunslinger Apprentice Chassit is on a distinguished road Chassit's Avatar

Default Harry Potter...BIG SPOILER

"See the TURTLE of enormous girth,
    On his shell he holds the earth.
    If you want to run and play,
    Come along the BEAM today."

NFA JJG 42-95

Damn I didn't see this thread when I made the other

NFA JJG 42-95

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it's ok

::merging... merging...................::

say-hey abracadabra!

it was a piece of simple facilitating magic, quite appropriate to HP threads.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm also a big HP fan. I have been avoiding threads about HP, but I decided to poke my head in here anyway. hehe I've got my copy reserved, and I'll be waiting in line for the midnight release with you guys. I'll also most likely go to the midnight showing of the movie, I really enjoy these midnight showings, the crowd just always really gets into the movie, and the reactions to certain parts. Otherwise, I typically like to catch an early afternoon matinee with not many people in the theater.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've only done a midnight attendance for anything once and it was for Revenge of the Sith. I also have my copy reserved but will wait til the morning to buy it. I figure I'll be able to read it twice before going back to work on Monday so why get it at midnight?
    I totally understand the excitement factor of a midnight release/showing, it's just not that important to me.
    Man, I hope Hermoine dies!

JK....but she is annoying.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh man. Mad-Eye Moody turned Malfoy into a ferret! I absolutely loved that scene.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Chassit View Post
    but...that doesn't actually say anything, does it?

Perhaps not...

XIX

NFA JJG 42-95

my predictions for book 7 (not really spoilers, but i'm marking them as such so as not to give anything from previous books away for erin and marty):

Spoiler:
    * bill and fleur's wedding will be crashed by deatheaters.
    * hagrid will possibly die during said crashing, but if not, will surely die before the final battle between harry and ol' what's-his-face.
    * snape is revealed to be an enormous git.
    * slytherin's locket is currently in the possession of aberforth dumbledore.
    * harry dies.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the last item of sarajean's prophesy seems inevitable to me, too

i really don't see how it could be any other way.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    i really don't see how it could be any other way.
    Why, the vice is punished, the virtue prevails, the dark forces are defeated, the dead come back from behind that veil, everyone lives happily ever after... and Snape marries Dolores Umbridge... and Nevill marries Luna... and Ron marries Hermione... and Harry...

...oops. Looks like you're right.

On the question of Hagrid whom most people here seem to hate:

He is annoying sometimes, but his role is immensely important: to show how great a teacher Dumbledore was.

You see, Hagrid makes a poor teacher. Teaching is his life's ambition; moreover, he sees it as his life's justification. So Harry and Ron help him as they can, overlooking his inadequacy and covering up his blunders. Even Hermione does, although not as wholeheartedly. And Dumbledore, perfectly aware of all that, indulges this behavior, - hell, encourages it! - and does the same: overlooks and covers up.

Because he, - a really great teacher - knows that helping this live, big, stupid, gold-hearted Hagrid is more important for those particular kids than to master Care of Magical Creatures. He, who as the headmaster of the school could probably find a thousand of different solutions, neglects a subject for the sake of the kids' souls. That's why I like Hagrid - he makes me understand Dumbledoor better.

Country
    Country Flag

I think Harry should die but I don't think he will.
    Shall we place any bets?

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    On the question of Hagrid whom most people here seem to hate:

He is annoying sometimes, but his role is immensely important: to show how great a teacher Dumbledore was.

You see, Hagrid makes a poor teacher. Teaching is his life's ambition; moreover, he sees it as his life's justification. So Harry and Ron help him as they can, overlooking his inadequacy and covering up his blunders. Even Hermione does, although not as wholeheartedly. And Dumbledore, perfectly aware of all that, indulges this behavior, - hell, encourages it! - and does the same: overlooks and covers up.

Because he, - a really great teacher - knows that helping this live, big, stupid, gold-hearted Hagrid is more important for those particular kids than to master Care of Magical Creatures. He, who as the headmaster of the school could probably find a thousand of different solutions, neglects a subject for the sake of the kids' souls. That's why I like Hagrid - he makes me understand Dumbledore better.
    i'm not disagreeing with you. i see hagrid's character as quite important to the story as a whole...it just fits in with my other theory that darkthoughts mentioned earlier.

here's what i had to say there...i'm quoting myself so that i don't have to type it out again (also, spoilers for order and hbp):

Spoiler:
    it's basically a theory about who is going to be one of the first of the next to die in book seven:

in alchemy, there are several steps in the process of creating the philosopher's stone. the first of which is black (who died in ootp?) second is white (albus means white, and he was just killed). finally, we come to the next step, which is red.

now, red could be referring to one of the weasleys,or (less obviously) hagrid, whose first name (rubeus) means red. this would lend credence to the supposition that the majority of harry's support group will die before he is finally able to face up to voldemort in the final battle.

(plus, really, i guess i just want hagrid to die. sorry.)
    Last edited by sarajean; 05-27-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: to quote myself

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll say it again, that theory rocks!
    I'm going for Percy biting the dust, not Hagrid. I mean, I get the whole hero/journey tradition in storytelling of killing off the mentor to allow the hero to come of age and progress - but they don't normally kill off the big hairy comedy sidekick...Obi Wan - dead...Chewie? Hell no!!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I'm going for Percy biting the dust, not Hagrid. I mean, I get the whole hero/journey tradition in storytelling of killing off the mentor to allow the hero to come of age and progress - but they don't normally kill off the big hairy comedy sidekick...Obi Wan - dead...Chewie? Hell no!!
    Star Wars spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Well....depends on how many books you have read...
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely. Everything started with Philosopher's stone, and so it will end.

I would beg to notice, though, that there's a drop in explicitness between
    Spoiler:
    Black (an English word known by everyone, even most of those who don't speak English, and, being the last name of that character, used almost every time he is mentioned) and Albus (a Latin word; also the first name, by which Dumbledore is hardly ever called).

If this drop increses proportionally, I wouldn't rule out red pottery clay, also containing a not-very-subtle Biblical reference. I mean, both Percy and Hagrid may be safe after all...

Country
    Country Flag

the big hairy comedy sidekick...Obi Wan - dead...

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I really hope Hagrid doesn't die, but sarajeans theory sounds pretty convincing...
    Last edited by Jean; 05-28-2007 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Removed The Spoiler Tags. Guys, please, try to use spoilers only in cases specified by the Rules

NFA JJG 42-95

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys have no idea how much it's killing me not to read the spoilers. I'm usually the spoiler queen and love to find out anything I can, but I've decided I'm going to be surprised for these books.

I'm almost done with The Goblet of Fire and so far i'm really enjoying it. Not as good as PoA in my opinion, but still great. All the Triwizard Tournament stuff is interesting and I'm really liking the romantic feelings that are beginning to emerge between Ron and Hermione. I like how jealous he was during the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    You guys have no idea how much it's killing me not to read the spoilers. I'm usually the spoiler queen and love to find out anything I can, but I've decided I'm going to be surprised for these books.

I'm almost done with The Goblet of Fire and so far i'm really enjoying it. Not as good as PoA in my opinion, but still great. All the Triwizard Tournament stuff is interesting and I'm really liking the romantic feelings that are beginning to emerge between Ron and Hermione. I like how jealous he was during the ball.
    that's how i felt about it, too.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yea, I couldn't put the Prisoner of Azkaban down. Goblet of Fire is great, but I don't have that overwhelming urge to do nothing but read like I did for the other.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I think GoF is waaay better than PoA. *shrug* I think the books get progressivelyy better up through OotP, then she took a step back with HBP.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast