• Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

34 54.84%
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

35 56.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Harry Potter Book Discussion

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Yeah, some people criticize books without reading them and say they're NEVER gonna' read them...not that I'm talking about anyone specific.
    My boyfriend? He won't read Harry Potter because he doesn't see any merit in children's literature. He is very stuck up about some things.

So, my sister and I definitely made Weasley gingerbread men. Get it? Gingerbread men... ginger kids... Weasleys....

I'm going to put up pictures as soon as I can. They're pretty neat.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hope your boyfriend has never read The Chronicles of Narnia then. Or The Hobbit, or Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn, or Flowers for Algernon, or so many others I could name that can be considered "children's literature."

I admit that I was pretty much an idiot about the Harry Potter phenomenon for a short time....thankfully I found the error of my ways.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I was just wondering about how everyone liked The Tales of Beedle the Bard? I know it's a kid's book, but I really enjoyed the notes by Dumbledore at the end of each story.

John
    It was a decent book. Dumbledore's notes were what really made it worth the read, imo. It was a nice half-hour relaxing read. If you own/read the Harry Potters, you should totally get it.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I admit that I was pretty much an idiot about the Harry Potter phenomenon for a short time....thankfully I found the error of my ways.
    Hallelujah!

(sp?)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Hallelujah!

(sp?)

I made fun of my sister about it for the first 3 books. I never criticized anyone for reading, I just gave my sis a hard time. She finally convinced me and I convinced her to read TDT. We both won!

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Matt never read Narnia either. I'm going to get my revenge when his/our kids ask him to read them out loud.

I didn't get into Harry Potter until my best friend forced them on me... it was either shortly before or after the fourth book came out. I didn't have any reason for not reading them, but I just didn't have a real reason for it either. I'm naturally skeptical of anything people go nuts over (Twilight, Miley Cyrus, etc.).

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Just curious, Ka-mai, does your boyfriend like Twain's Tom Sawyer? That can also be considered children's literature. But it, like the Harry Potter series, is much more than simple children's literature.

John

Country
    Country Flag

No idea. Matt loves Vonnegut, Dick and Gaiman. He also won't read HP because he doesn't like fantasy, even though I swear most of Gaiman's stuff goes under that category, but noooo, apparently Gaiman is "so much more" and the Sandman "is a graphic novel, it's a whole different genre."

I know, I know, I'm rolling my eyes too.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

is it just me or did the last harry potter book (deathly hallows) kinda suck?
    I really didnt like how severus snapes story played out, the ending of book six was amazing, Rowling crossed the line and I LOVED IT! and the in book seven it's like "no no he was in love with lilly and he killed albus because albus was dying and asked him 2" WTF?! that was like one of the sickest plot twists ever and book 7 totally retconned it!
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Country
    Country Flag

I loved it. I mean, I kind of figured that Dumbledore and Snape had something planned to keep Draco from becoming a murderer, and I also kind of thought there was no way she'd write 6 books about Snape seeming to be evil and then it turns out he actually is... that just seemed like it would go against all she wrote about things not being what they appear.

As for being in love with Lily... 8,232,496 fanfiction writers already called that one. So it lost points in my mind for being predictable/uncreative.... However, I did like how they knew each other way before Hogwarts and how they were friends (not just him gazing from afar) and how the whole "mudblood" scene played out so much differently when you knew the backstory.

When I read DH, I had the same reaction I did when I read DT7: at first I thought "ugh, it could have been so much better!" and then realizing that it actually fit pretty well. Only with DT i was literally mad for three days. DH was more indifference climbing upwards towards adoration (I've read it at least 4 times since it came out, no exaggeration).

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

see my complaint with it is that the end of book six it seemed like she HAD been toying with the readers for a decade and six books, thats an incredible plot twist, yet she decided to play it safe and make it so that it wasnt what it appeared to be, i was just dissapointed, maybe im just a sick bastard for having wanting snape to actually be evil

I felt it had a much more traditional ending for a fantasy series than DT7, HP7 was very influenced by the ending of lord of the rings where they go sailing to the grey havens, bittersweet
    DT7s finale on the other hand is just a total mindfuck

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I personally thought DH was the best of all seven books. Rowling managed to tie-up almost all the loose ends that had accumulated throughout the series and in a logical manner. Plus the action scenes toward the end of the book were very well done. The only hang-up I had was that the middle of the book,
    Spoiler:
    in which the ka-tet was looking for the Hallows,
    seemed to drag a bit.

John

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

PLEASE MARK YOUR SPOILERS!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, I didn't consider that a spoiler.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I personally thought DH was the best of all seven books. Rowling managed to tie-up almost all the loose ends that had accumulated throughout the series and in a logical manner. Plus the action scenes toward the end of the book were very well done. The only hang-up I had was that the middle of the book,
    Spoiler:
    in which the ka-tet was looking for the Hallows,
    seemed to drag a bit.

John
    I completely agree! During the middle section of the book that is when I really wished they had gone to school.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

ha u used the work ka tet, and it works

Country
    Country Flag

Did you guys see that piece of flair on Facebook? It says
    Spoiler:
    "Alternate title for HP7: Harry Potter and the Prolonged Camping Trip."

Yes, it was a little long. But I'd rather have it a little long than a little short, because a little short would have made it seem like it was no big deal.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

The funniest harry potter related item Ive ever seen was a t shirt that a friend of mine had when book 6 came out that said "Dumbledore dies on page 536 I just saved you 650 pages of reading, you're welcome"

Country
    Country Flag

My Weasley cookies. In order: Arthur, Molly, Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron, and Ginny. I even drew little icing glasses on Arthur and Percy.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

that so freaking rocks!

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. My sister and I were kind of manic about it... I think we could have done with one more icing color, but whatever. Also, and I know this is getting REALLY neurotic about details, but at least two Weasleys have brown eyes, but we didn't have brown icing, so it was blue and green for everyone.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I was thinking the Percy glasses were a nice touch.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Those are amazing! Absolutely brilliant.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys. I'm glad everyone appreciates them so much, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast