Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 120 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 2985

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Regarding Neil Gaiman's 2nd ep: considering how amazing his first ep was in series 6, I'm really keen to see what he'll do with his second.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

a bit late to the party, but I've never been a huge fan of the Daleks, really. In theory they are good villains. But so often the execution of their characters is misdone, I feel.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    a bit late to the party, but I've never been a huge fan of the Daleks, really. In theory they are good villains. But so often the execution of their characters is misdone, I feel.
    I can agree with that. I think I've only really started becoming a fan of them due to their 60s stuff, as well as how brilliantly they work in their own spin-off. But there's been more than a couple of appearances where they haven't quite worked, Victory of the Daleks in particular.

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of, I still need to watch The Dalek Invasion of Earth. Hope the voices aren't annoying in that one...that's another complaint I have with Daleks, and some aliens in general, really. Do they all have to be insectoid and hard to understand? The aliens in the audio A Thousand Tiny Wings, for example, were almost impossible to understand...and I think I it really did lessen my enjoyment of the story, to an extent.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Dalek voices have grown on me, I must say, to the point where my biggest problem with Third Doctor story, Day of the Daleks, was that they weren't Dalek-y enough. Yes, they spoke in a monotone, and it was quite Dalek-y, but still, it was just a bit...wrong. They weren't quite distorted enough for me. Which is why I always go for the special edition of that story now: yes, it has some nice effects added, but a lot more important to me are that they replace the voices with more authentic ones. It's funny, but you don't notice how truly distinctive that voice is until they get it wrong (for another such example of "great story, poor voices", see 6th Doctor story Revelation of the Daleks).

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

so...it doesn't give you a headache? It does for me sometimes.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

When you're talking to a guy who's not only been watching a show full of Daleks for over a decade and a half, but has even listened to a series full of nazi-inspired shouting pepperpots, you kind of grow used to it. Like a finger can grow a callus after too much sewing, the human ear can develop an adjustment for particularly loud noises. That's why not that many metal fans go deaf despite the number of ridiculously loud concerts they go to. That's my total BS theory of the day, anyway.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I was gonna say...it's just like how, even after 13 years of school, fluorescent lights still give me a headache over an extended period of time.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, I'm aware that there's only so many times I can say "HOLY SHIT!!!" this week... but HOLY SHIT!!!!

Dark Eyes is finally being released tomorrow morning!

Considering how late in the month Dominion was released by comparison, this is much sooner than I expected. What a wonderful surprise! Relistening to one of my favourite stories ever as preparation: Lucie Miller/To The Death. By far, the darkest and most grim Doctor Who story I've ever known, as well as having the Daleks at their most ruthless. Absolutely love this. Even more so on subsequent listens than on the 1st, since the "reset button" I initially expected in the first ep never happened in the 2nd, that's how bad things get for the Doctor. 18 months ago, I first listened to To The Death and listened to its shocking conclusion. Still can't believe the story's finally gonna continue tomorrow. Can't wait.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

kewl. Should be good

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Listening right now! Kinda odd that they're using the 8th Doctor theme tune that was used up to the start of the first series of the Lucie Miller adventures. Almost feels like a step backwards, in a way. Still, it's a tune I preferred a lot more to the tune used throughout the rest of the 8/Lucie audios, and it kinda fits how the Doctor is at this point, so I can't complain too much. As for the Doctor himself, he still hasn't been given his new look yet in this ep, but I'm expecting it'll happen soon.

- Melike

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just a heads up: the prequel for the next Christmas special will be on tonight, sometime after 7.30pm, as part of Children in Need on BBC One.

In the meantime, I'm already listening to Dark Eyes again, only this time taking it one episode at a time, rather than all 4 eps at once as I did on Saturday. It's nice listening to how each ep has a slightly different focus, with the first one being set in WWI but the rest of the series having a mix of alien and Earth environments. Also, I just love McGann's performance throughout. It's stories like this that push his Doctor to the limit and reminds me why he's my personal favourite.

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

The wife and i just watched Blink last night. OMG I love the weeping angles. And yes I all ready know what happened with the angles take Manhattan.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Blink's definitely one of the all-time classics. In 2009, in a poll of 200 stories (yep, that includes the serials of the old series), that got up to #2. I think the only problem I had with it at the time was just when it was placed - considering the previous 2 weeks didn't really have the Doctor in them much, just John Smith in Human Nature/Family of Blood, a "Doctor-lite" ep straight after was just a little frustrating at the time. But yes, a tiny niggle - the story itself is brilliant.

- Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Amber and I are up to date on the new series, yay! I've stayed away from this thread as I hate (and fear, lol) spoilers. But I'll stick around for a while until I get scared.

I want to start from the beginning now, I know a lot of episodes are missing (which I find incredibly odd and infuriating) but I have my Episode Guides ready to go with me. There's lots of old serials on Netflix but it doesn't look like the first ones are there, bummer. Downloadland, here I go.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Awesome, Shannon! Hope you enjoy what you can of the old series, anyway.

- Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

found this browsing around

Christmas Trailer

Country
    Country Flag

Watching the eleventh hour now

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Legendary! What do you think of Smith so far?

(Now watching the first story of Pertwee's final season. Considering how he still remains so amazing kick-arse here, it's made me realise how much I'm gonna miss his Doctor. Still, and this is the weird thing: Tom Baker is next, and his early seasons have so many stories that are so, so fucking good, so naturally, I'm torn. For the moment, I'll just carry on enjoying Pertwee's kick-arseness.)

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

It's gonna take some getting use to him as the doctor. David Tenannt was great. Oh and WTF was up with Rose's mouth when she first came back talking with Donna. She sounded like her either her teeth were too big for her mouth or she had braces on. We're watching the Venice episode now. OH one other thing the end of time specials were sad.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Understandable that Smith will take some getting used to. As for the End of Time...there's bits I love, and bits I hate.

Stuff I loved:
    Spoiler:
    • Return of the Master
    • Return of the Time Lords and revealing how corrupt they had become
    • Most of all, I really loved that Wilf had knocked 4 times.

Stuff I hated:
    Spoiler:
    • The Master's plan was pretty...meh in this ep.
    • Not enough time given to the Time Lords, imo.
    • Most of all: the Doctor treating regeneration as a 'death'. I really hated that - the idea that 11 was merely 'replacing' 10 rather than the same man in a new body just rubbed me the wrong way. ESPECIALLY when he yelled at Wilf and called him "not remotely important", when all the Doctor would do would change bodies, whereas Wilf would actually die if the Doctor didn't sacrifice his tenth body. Personally, I prefer to think of it as a low point in the Doctor's life and that he genuinely needed to change and let go of his tenth self, which I believe he only really held onto because of Rose, Donna, Martha etc. He had to change to let go and move on with his life. But the writing doesn't convince me that was RTD's intention really. A shame, as RTD had handled regeneration a lot better with the transition from 9 to 10. Tennant was a great Doctor, but he deserved a better ending, I think.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

For whatever reason, I didn't really like most of the Tennant specials. Matt Smith is far and away my Doctor, followed closely by Paul McGann and Patrick Troughton.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 120 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 ... LastLast