Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 120 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 2985

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    http://www.cokeandpopcorn.com/

I use this site not just for Doctor Who, but to catch up a lot of stuff. I find it really helpful. Sorted by show, and once you are on a show's page the links are near the bottom. it's not the greatest quality, but it's free, so I'm inclined not to care
    thanks for the link. Me and my son will be watching till we catch up with everything...lol...when I told him about it he almost forgot that he had a dance to go to tonight...lol...that is how big a fan he is.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Nono, not the Brigadier's daughter. Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, her father, a major, major character from the classic series, ever since he met the 2nd Doctor. On tv, he encountered nearly all the classic doctors except for 6 and 8. One of the Doctor's closest friends.

Remember this moment in The Wedding of River Song?

Spoiler:

This was done out of tribute to the original actor Nicholas Courtney dying the same year. One of my favourite moments from Matt Smith, as you really believe he had lost an old friend.

Anyway, Kate Stewart is in fact his daughter. That's why the Doctor was so glad to meet her.
    Ah, ok. It's clear now. I think I have missed the moment in The Wedding of River Song. Now I know trying to finish one season in two days is not good.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, I wouldn't quite say that. Watching a season of 24 in one day is totally worth it, imo!

But yeah, I think that's one of the rare moments in the new series that you can only really get if you were a fan of the classic series. They should've brought him back, imo, just for one ep at least. He did appear in the Sarah Jane Adventures in a story I still really need to watch, but that's all, sadly. Still, it was definitely a fitting tribute to him in TWoRS, at least.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

we were able to get netflix again and I did a whole lot of watching this weekend...lol...I like Mickey as the plucky comic relief. Well off to watch more.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, I do like Mickey. Wasn't a fan of him at first, but he definitely grew on me as the show went on. What ep are you up to now, then?

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Finished classic season 6 last night, btw. Got surprisingly emotional over it - I had grown rather attached to Troughton's Doctor by the end. Still, he gave one hell of a final performance: defiant, hilarious, and even at times, heartbreaking. The look on his face when he knows he has to finally face up to the Time Lords was the worst. Why couldn't RTD have given Ten such a beautifully written and simple send-off?

So, goodbye to Troughton, goodbye to Jamie and Zoe, hell, even goodbye to black and white, as the colour era is about to begin. And knowing that, come next season, I'll be saying "Hello!" to Pertwee's Doctor definitely makes things easier. That's the best thing about the show: when change comes and you have to say goodbye to something that's awesome, something else brilliant comes along to say hello to! Even better: with regeneration, it's never even really goodbye, just a brand new start.

- Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Gale View Post
    Yeah, I do like Mickey. Wasn't a fan of him at first, but he definitely grew on me as the show went on. What ep are you up to now, then?
    Have gotten to Matt Smith. (yes I do have too much time on my hands...lol) Last one was Vampires in Venice.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Gale View Post
    Have gotten to Matt Smith. (yes I do have too much time on my hands...lol) Last one was Vampires in Venice.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, nice! What do you think of Smith's eps so far, then?

- Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Still trying to get used to him...lol...will see in a few more episodes what I think.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Cool.

Oh, and for as for my aim to watch every ep of Who in order: finished season 6, and therefore not just the Troughton years but the whole of the black and white era and the 60s altogether. So, that's one decade down, onto the next. It's Jon Pertwee's first story as the Doctor, Spearhead from Space. This is one of the best "new Doctor" stories, imo. Seen it before, plenty of times, but only as a story on its own. It's weird though, finally appreciating it fully in context. Particularly, the return of UNIT and the Brigadier, only his 3rd appearance in the show who's now been promoted to regular, and also just how clever they are at keeping the 3rd Doctor's face hidden until halfway through the first ep. It's a moment that beautifully pays off, too.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Been listening to a great deal of Big Finish audios the past couple of days, due to a number of special releases I had pre-ordered ages ago finally being released. The first was UNIT: Dominion, which seems to be setting up both a continuation of their UNIT spinoff series as well as plenty of brand new story threads that I'll need to keep an eye out for. A 4 hour long epic featuring the 7th Doctor near the end of his life, this will certainly benefit from relistens, as it had a lot going on. Definitely an epic listen, to say the least. Also, one humdinger of a twist is given that has made me very, very excited for future releases, for any future releases to see what Big Finish has planned next...

Also listened to Love & War, an adaptation of one of the New Adventures novels from the 90s. There's a love story in it that I'm not sure I was entirely convinced by, but I'll say this much: it has made me very keen to check out more of the original NAs, as it's one of the darkest depictions of not just the 7th Doctor, but the Doctor altogether. He makes a decision, a decision that may have saved millions but at an incredibly high cost so easily that to say he broke his companion Ace's heart is putting it incredibly mildly.

Lately, the Doctor's 7th incarnation has been growing to be one of my favourite parts of his very long life, as it's easily the darkest he's ever been. Oh yes, we've had the angry 9th Doctor, we've had the 10th Doctor at his lowest/one of his best (depending on your point of view) points in The Waters of Mars, not to mention the stuff the 8th Doctor has been through in books and audio...but the 7th is the Doctor when he's not simply a hero. He's a chess player, usually playing against the worst the universe has to offer on a grand scale, never afraid to use anyone as pawns - including his companions. Later incarnations will have anger, hate, even fear giving them reason to do things they might regret. The 7th has no such excuse. He does these things because he feels he has to, no matter what the consequences to his friends or his very soul.

"I fight monsters. I win."

But what's also interesting about the audio is why it was done in the first place: it's the 20th anniversary of Benny Summerfield, introduced in the original novel and becoming a companion of the Doctor before getting first her own novel series and then her own audio series (which I've yet to listen to bar one story, but I'm aiming to correct that). She's a pretty likeable character, I've gotta admit, and a far cry from Ace, as much as I love her. Again, really keen to check out more of her stuff, now.

Now, onto a story I've also been looking forward to: Voyage to Venus, featuring the 6th Doctor and two of my favourite characters ever, Jago & Litefoot. Absolutely love this pair, so to hear them again with the Doctor is a joy to listen to. Hell, anything with Trevor Baxtor and Christopher Benjamin in is a joy to listen to!

- Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

have finished watching and I must say that the guys acting as The Doctor are amazing. They make the character their own but he is essentially the same person. Hate that I have to wait two months till the next episode. I would hate to see how he is going to explain if he ever does to Rory's dad what happened to them. grrrrrr.

on a different note just started Torchwood.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Actually, regarding Rory's dad Brian, there was an unfilmed but narrated scene posted on the web that so should've been filmed, as its absolutely beautiful. Be warned - it's at least as heartbreaking as Angels in Manhattan, if not moreso. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWU6XL9xI4k

And agreed on how brilliant all the Doctors are. They do help make it convincing that while the Doctor has different quirks with different bodies, perhaps getting attached to some more than others, he's definitely the same guy that William Hartnell played nearly 50 years ago.

As for how to deal with the wait? Do what I'm doing right now: go to dailymotion.com and look up every classic ep. Currently on season 8, then just 18 more of the classic seasons to go after that. Shouldn't be too difficult.

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I'm about half way through the third season. I'm loving it so far.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

First half is great, but the second half of series 3 is amazing! Some of my favourite eps ever - and I mean ever - take up a lot of that second half.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

we're half way through the one where the 76 year old guy goes in his machine and comes out younger. The Dalek episodes are getting seriously annoying. One they keep showing up and just won't die and two their voice is annoying as hell.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

You'd hate the series I'm listening to, then: Dalek Empire, a spin-off focusing on humans fighting Daleks without the Doctor to help them. I'll be honest, I do love the Daleks when they're done right, but I definitely know what you mean - it's ridiculous the amount of times they come back, which wouldn't be so bad in the new series if (a) the stories justified their appearances, which they didn't always do, particularly in series 3, and (b) as you pointed out, they keep being "killed off for good" and then be brought back anyway. The 60s stories and their stories in series 1 are my favourites, really, and they're seen to be a huge, iconic part of the show by us Brits, hence their numerous appearances, but again, I can definitely see how they'd be annoying for some people.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

The biggest thing I hate about them is having to hear that god awful LOUD voice of theirs. But the episode with the pig slaves controlled by them with just dumb and made no sense.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Agreed, Evolution of the Daleks is one of the all-time weakest stories with them. Not a patch on Genesis of the Daleks. (That, you may like, even if it is a classic series story. It kinda sows a few seeds for the new series, and they don't talk so much. )

Also: OMG!!!!!!

That just looks amazing! Seriously can't wait for this!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Nice wish I knew where to find the magazine. It looks interesting.

Also it sucks that I can't find all the old classic series' and episodes. Even though I was able to figure out what is going on with the newer series it would be nice to start from the very beginning.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, it'd take forever to watch it in order...ok, maybe not in my case (I recently calculated I watched about 120 eps in the past month), but yeah, there are a lot of eps in the series altogether. I think dailymotion.com has most of the classic episodes, though. That's a good place to start if Netflix fails ya.

I'm looking forward to getting the next issue of Doctor Who Magazine. It's pretty popular, so that new cover should give some great exposure to Big Finish, makers of past Doctor adventures. It's the 8th Doctor stuff that's my favourite, as it seems to be building more and more into the Time War, or at least, just before it. They're releasing the latest story this month, Dark Eyes, a story I've been waiting 18 months for. I'm hoping it'll be worth the wait.

- Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

been watching the classic series lately...although i have made an observation about all the doctors that have been out there....is it on purpose or is it because it just happened that way that the next doctor after the previous one keeps getting younger?... and Neil Gaiman to write an episode of Doctor Who.

and son just finished with the Rose Tyler story and is about to start the Christmas episode with Donna Noble....He will get a kick out of that one...lol.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just happened. After all, it's a very general trend: the 5th, 6th and 7th Doctors briefly seemed to look older, after all. In fact, Steven Moffat did originally plan to have a much older Doctor, it's just that Smith really impressed him and everyone else as being the best man for the job.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

OMG Donna was so annoying but at the same time I loved her. So far Rose was my favorite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 120 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 ... LastLast