Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 120 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 2985

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Some general thoughts from me on both Amy and Rory and Who in general in my most recent vlog:
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wait! James is a Doctor Who fan?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, I just got into the show recently Brice, but I've really liked what I've seen so far.

Spoiler:

- Melike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, but i figured after all this time here that you've spent talking badly about british shows in general and specifically Doctor Who that there was no hope of converting you.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, how do you think i feel? I just found out as well, and you think as a girlfriend he'd have trusted me with this info...I know it's embarrassing, but it just hurts not to be trusted...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Additionally, while I don't think I'm ready to review it quite yet, I did make a running list of thoughts/topics as I watched for the first time. Just for fun, here is it. It'll really illustrate my true feelings, I think

Spoiler:
    yay, decent-ish American accents!
    Very film noir-y...kinda like it. Wish they'd go further wit this theme, but I know they won't...
    The Fuck? Really, noir guy? Get in a creepy-ass elevator after telling us how scary this place is. you're the worst
    Oh FUCK, I'm never going to back to NYC
    "Only you could fancy someone in a book!" Rory, honey, you have never met me, clearly! Or been on the internet...
    5 min in, already crying. fuck this
    OH NO! Not that tombstone. Already crying again. This is going to be be Eddie Dean all over again
    I HATE babies
    okay, if they are gonna kill themselves, I'm done...HOLY FUCK, NO
    FUCK YOU MOFFAT. FUCK YOU TO HELL
    Oh, really? Waking up in the graveyard? Cop-out! Nevermind.
    I need more tea. And to stop crying...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Brilliant! I'd try that out myself, but I'd rather keep my eyes glued to the screen the whole time. Think my favourite comment is,

Spoiler:
    "I HATE babies"

What a perfect way to some up Angels take Manhattan!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Doctor or Doctors?

My latest random philosophical discussion on the greatest tv show ever is, like the last one, a simple question: is the Doctor one man with many faces, or is he merely different men with the same memories? Put simply, how much does he change with each regeneration: merely on the outside, or does his very soul change, too?

Initially, it’s easy to believe it’s the case of the latter. After all, let’s think of just how distinct and different each incarnation of the Doctor is. The grumpy old man of Hartnell, the cosmic hobo of Troughton, the arse-kicking dandy of Pertwee, the bohemian wanderer of Baker and so on, each one seeming completely different to the one before. Take any old story from each of them and compare, and it’s clear as day: the Doctor directly changes in every possible way as a direct result of regeneration, not just in body, but also in mind and soul, right?

Well, actually, possibly not.

Let’s take a closer examination at each incarnation’s life. Compare their first and last stories. Some incarnations have changed a little over time. Most, however, seem to change greatly.

For a prime example, look at one of the most legendary incarnations of them all, Tom Baker. Compare two truly classic stories, Genesis of the Daleks and City of Death. One from his first season, the other from his sixth. Never mind the content of the stories themselves, but look at how his Doctor is in each of them. In the former, he’s a very dark, serious alien, a man on a mission, sometimes having a glimpse of humour or wit, but overall, a man that knows the seriousness of the situation and treats it as such.

Now, let’s skip ahead five years later to City of Death, where the Doctor seems to treat everything as a joke, playing the fool and acting like an idiot even when a gun’s pointed at him, revealing only how truly wise and intelligent he is when things are at their most desperate towards the end. In other words, the exact opposite of the man we saw in Genesis of the Daleks, despite being the exact same incarnation. Now true, this is partially down to the very tone of the stories, and indeed of the seasons in general, that have an effect on how the Doctor may react to the situation. But it can’t be denied that as the fourth incarnation’s era goes on, he gradually becomes less and less outwardly serious along the way. Not a criticism, I think both interpretations are fantastic, but it completely destroys the idea of each incarnation being quite so distinctive from each other as people believe.

This can in fact be said for practically all the Doctor’s incarnations – the first Doctor starts out as a mysterious, almost antagonistic man, reluctant to help anyone in need, who by the end plays an active role in saving the Earth in his final story; the seventh Doctor started out as a very silly man who grew more secretive towards his companions and more dangerous to his enemies, almost as if he was playing a very dangerous game of chess on a universal scale; the tenth Doctor who starts out as a happy-go-lucky figure who by the end is a man wrecked with guilt and pain.

Ah, the Tenth Doctor. Now, here comes an important point. In my opinion, this is really where a lot of belief that the Doctor is really just different men with the same memories comes from. Specifically, it’s to do with The End of Time, for which spoilers are to follow.

Now, I’ve got a confession to make – I hate the End of Time. Not so much for the story itself – it’s complete nonsense, but I’ve gotta admit, the majority of the story is fairly entertaining, both for John Simm being batshit crazy on a worldwide scale and for Timothy Dalton being fucking awesome, and it has to be said, Tennant's performance is absolutely amazing for what he's given. So why do I hate it? Because of a few key scenes of how the Doctor feels about his next regeneration, which he describes to his close friend Wilf.

“It feels like death…everything I am dies. Some new man goes walking away…and I’m dead.”

Words cannot begin to describe how much I loathe this description, as it seems to piss all over the very idea of what regeneration is about in the first place: a very clever way to continue the story of the Doctor. Maybe he changes somewhat to a degree on the outside – perhaps due to having the brain cells more than a little shaken up, or for other, deeper reasons, which I’ll get to later – but clearly the same man. This quote from Tennant’s Doctor actually pretty much ignores the key central idea of what makes the concept of regeneration so great in the first place, which in my opinion, is just bad writing. Yes, we do get attached to particular incarnations, either due to the performance or the style, and it’s more than likely that the Doctor himself gets attached to each and every one of his different bodies at the time, since regeneration is pure change in a very huge sense, and it’s natural to fear it. After getting used to seeing through a particular pair of eyes, speak with a particular voice, even identifying what sort of clothes work best with his particular body best (or so he thinks), all vital parts of his identity, gone in an instant. When that happens, he knows he’d have to start from scratch all over again, learn to get used to seeing through a new pair of eyes, speak with a new voice, essentially find out who he has to be. It’s perfectly natural to be afraid of something as scary as that. And I think that that fear is potentially a great thing to explore.

But the use of the D word was, in my opinion, the worst way to do it.

And it only got worse, with one scene having the Doctor rage at his situation and how he could do “so much more”, with his final words being the worst: “I don’t want to go.” The whole implication being that, whoever the next incarnation is, he will, in no way shape or form, have anything left of Ten within him. That the “soul” of the Doctor’s tenth incarnation would be replaced with another. This pure selfishness written into the character really made me hate the Doctor at this point in his life. I’d like to believe that it was intentional, that it was a clear sign that the Doctor had become too attached this particular body, as it was the only thing left that reminded him of all his particular incarnation’s companions, and that change by this point was completely necessary for the Doctor to move on so we actually wanted him to finally change. I’d love to believe that. But again, there’s nothing really in the story that even hints of it like that, and in the end, it just comes across as bad writing.

I criticise this because, to me, this is the only time I can think of where the idea of regeneration makes a man completely different to how he once was. OK, so like I said, the Doctor’s differences when awakening in a brand new body are especially noticeable, and there might be considered a huge change in personality…but is it a direct effect of regeneration alone, or is it more natural than that?

Let’s think of what actually happens in regeneration: the Doctor is mortally wounded, so to survive, his body changes every single cell. Sometimes, he dies first for a moment, then slowly the process starts, sometimes it happens in the same instant in the same instant as dying. In either case, can you imagine how pretty fucking traumatic that would be? Put simply, the guy dies and is born again, and unsurprisingly, the process of having every single cell change in his body and bringing him back from the dead is a rather painful one. Can you imagine the level of trauma that could bring to a man? No wonder almost every single incarnation begins as either completely nuts or deeply psychologically scarred.

Again, let’s look at it from another angle: the reasons he died in the first place. However it happens, it will more than likely affect how he looks at life in some fundamental way in his next incarnation. It might inspire him to seize life (such as the fourth wanting to leave Earth straight away after spending so much time on it in his third incarnation), or learn to be more cautious (such as the fifth gaining a new fear of heights after his previous incarnation died from such a fall). Look at how each incarnation is different to the last one, and suddenly it all makes sense: it’s not a result of regeneration that causes him to be so different, it’s the result of dying and coming back from that that causes him to push himself forward. Not in the way Ten’s Doctor described death, not as something permanent, but, ironically, in a way that’s a life-changing experience for the Doctor.

In short, I absolutely believe that the Doctor, no matter what body he’s in, is simply The Doctor. He changes, but, in the non-physical sense, only as much as we do – from time, from experience, from life itself. Regeneration doesn’t make a new man altogether, it just arguably forces the same man underneath to get used to a different body. Of course, this is purely my opinion – I’m sure someone out there can give a few reasons on why he’s really many different men. My problems with the End of Time made it clear that, I regret to say, this blog entry is far from unbiased. But it’s a view I’ve held for a long time, and it’s only recently dawned on me why that is: if I didn't believe that all the incarnations were the same man underneath, I wouldn't be nearly as interested in this epic fairy tale as I am. I hope I've provided some interesting reading for the average Who fan, at least, and I hope it provides food for thought on this much loved show for ya.

- Melike

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I've just read this on your blog. I have to say that I share your point of view on this subject. First of all, If I didn't I wouldn't love Doctor Who.

I first met with 11, then 9, then 10. Now, I have gone back a little more, and met the 1st Doctor. And seeing the huge difference between 11 and him, I felt they were the very same man. 1st Doctor looked older, but he was like a teenager time lord version of the Doctor I knew, behaving so arrogant, wanting no one around, trying to look/be serious. Eleven is an old man in a young man look, and so crazy and like a child, like how old people behaves more like children in real life. He changes with the adventures, friends, bad events and yes of course with the regenerations.

Also, even I become so different from myself year to year, act different and give unexpected decisions, without regeneration (though that would be nice if that was something I could do ) or big changes adventures in my life.

I think 10's last words and "D" word metaphor was a goodbye saying 'I love you, I don't want to go, but I must' for crazy Tennant fangirls. So that would create tragic, romantic effect on them.

Or I want to believe these.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    I've just read this on your blog. I have to say that I share your point of view on this subject. First of all, If I didn't I wouldn't love Doctor Who.
    Glad it's not just me!

I first met with 11, then 9, then 10. Now, I have gone back a little more, and met the 1st Doctor. And seeing the huge difference between 11 and him, I felt they were the very same man. 1st Doctor looked older, but he was like a teenager time lord version of the Doctor I knew, behaving so arrogant, wanting no one around, trying to look/be serious. Eleven is an old man in a young man look, and so crazy and like a child, like how old people behaves more like children in real life. He changes with the adventures, friends, bad events and yes of course with the regenerations.
    Especialy agreed on how 1 is essentially the "teenager", the stubborn sod who complains if he doesn't get his own way. I still love how he really changes over time as a direct result of being practically forced to live with Ian and Barbara really taught him some humanity. It's one of the reasons why the early TARDIS teams is one of my favourites, really.

Also, even I become so different from myself year to year, act different and give unexpected decisions, without regeneration (though that would be nice if that was something I could do ) or big changes adventures in my life.
    Exactly. Change is a pretty much constant part of life, and when you live for a millennia, a man can go through a lot of change.

I think 10's last words and "D" word metaphor was a goodbye saying 'I love you, I don't want to go, but I must' for crazy Tennant fangirls. So that would create tragic, romantic effect on them.

Or I want to believe these.
    That's the way I look at it. It might be another reason why I hated it so much - it didn't seem to want to make the transition any easier, instead encouraging that the idea that since your Doctor is going to be "gone" forever you might as well forget about the show altogether.

Still, at least 11's first words (written by Steven Moffat, I might add) more than made up for all that!

- Melike

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

That's the way I look at it. It might be another reason why I hated it so much - it didn't seem to want to make the transition any easier, instead encouraging that the idea that since your Doctor is going to be "gone" forever you might as well forget about the show altogether.

Still, at least 11's first words (written by Steven Moffat, I might add) more than made up for all that!
    Haha, definitely: " Hair! I'm a girl! No! No, I'm not a girl…"

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Still love that! After hearing that, and after so much time at that point spent on the Doctor's agony and depression, the first thing I thought was, perhaps rather ironically: "He's BACK!" What a way to introduce Mr Smith!

- Melike

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's food for thought...what if, and that is a strong if, they did change the sex of The Doctor. How would that change how The Doctor is. It would make for interesting TV and be totally different.

and on a totally different note:
    My son has discovered The Doctor recently and has always wondered along with me...If he is a time traveler, why can't he go back in time to before his race was totally wiped out and prevent that from happening?

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

In regards to the Time War, that was actually an issue when you have 2 races fighting that can time travel (recall that the Daleks also have that technology). Back and forth, it was kinda futile on the whole as the armies would go back in time and use their knowledge of the future to change the outcome of a battle. So the Time Lords time-locked the entire space and time presence of the Time War and let the battles proceed as normal. They determined that the loss of the advantage was outweighed by the detriment to the Daleks.

Also, from a timeline perspective, that would cause a crossing of his own timeline, and that's a bad thing, as illustrated in many eps (most recently, Father's Day with Rose and 9)

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

he will be happy to know that. thanks

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    Here's food for thought...what if, and that is a strong if, they did change the sex of The Doctor. How would that change how The Doctor is. It would make for interesting TV and be totally different.
    Personally, that might - I say might - be a step too far. It could be interesting, but it might be a little bit harder to accept that it is the same man that we've always known. Still, you never know, they might do it one day - they've hinted at it a few times that a Time Lord can change gender after regenerating.

So how much has your son watched of the show so far, anyway? Sounds like he's been enjoying it, at least.

- Melike

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    Personally, that might - I say might - be a step too far. It could be interesting, but it might be a little bit harder to accept that it is the same man that we've always known. Still, you never know, they might do it one day - they've hinted at it a few times that a Time Lord can change gender after regenerating.

So how much has your son watched of the show so far, anyway? Sounds like he's been enjoying it, at least.
    Doctor changing into female is one idea that I really do not like.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Having said that, there's a series of audio dramas by professional company Big Finish, who mainly make audio stories featuring classic Doctors. However, there was one series that I'd really like to listen to: Unbound, which dealt with huge "what if?" questions, like what if the Doctor never left Gallifrey, what if he wasn't exiled to Earth in the 70s (or was it the 80s?), stuff like that.

There's one "what if?" I've heard of where the Doctor is living on Earth in a female incarnation and actually having a quiet and ordinary life ie working in a supermarket and spending evenings down a pub. Certainly sounds like an interesting idea, although it also sounds like a bit of a humourous take on the whole thing. Still, I'll have to give it a listen sometime, just to hear what a female Doctor would be like.

- Melike

This is just perfect.
    Silence by RemmyLee on deviantART:

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Wow, that is just amaz...

Hold on, what was I posting about again?

- Melike

Wow, that is just amaz...

Hold on, what was I posting about again?
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Oh, what are those lines on my hand?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a bit late to the party, but I don't like the idea of having The Doctor change sexes. I just don't..can't really back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    I'm a bit late to the party, but I don't like the idea of having The Doctor change sexes. I just don't..can't really back it up.
    Definitely! It may be a possibility and I prefer it to stay as a possibility forever.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

And for some random discussion: is anyone else looking forward to the second half of series 7 a lot more than the first half? I was still kinda anticipating the first half before, but the news of a focus on BIGGER!, movie-esque ideas like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and having a story in the Wild West, as well as knowing that Amy and Rory weren't technically companions in those eps didn't leave me as pumped as the anticipation for series 5 or 6. And sad to say, while I enjoyed the eps, none bar Angels really LEAPT out as memorable or classic. Even Asylum I'd only rate as "good" and not "great" (although much better than Victory, certainly).

However, the 2nd half has been something that I've actually been anticipating a lot more, even before series 7 started airing: a new companion, with a new journey to start, rather than have an adventure, head back home, have an adventure, head back home etc like the last few eps, really has me looking forward the rest of the series. Also: NEW COSTUME!!!! It's a small thing, but at the same time it also suggests a big thing, as hopefully it'll mean pushing the 11th Doctor into new territory to match. So while I'm not looking for any major arcs like last series, I am glad to see the show moving back to its roots a little while still moving forward. Anyone else feel that way, or was it just me who felt like that?

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 120 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 ... LastLast