Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 120 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ditto! I also hope that Moffat is still around as Head Writer then! I'd love to see a celebratory story written by him! Time Crash was awesome, and that was only 8 minutes with 2 Doctors!

And Supernatural is still a show I need to check out. Ordinarily, your recommendation would convince me to get a season 1 set straight away - they're cheap enough by now - but too much Dr Who merchandise to get and save up for over the next couple of months! Even if i could get one on this list as a xmas present, it wouldn't be enough!

Doctor Who: Series 5 (Must have!)
    Doctor Who: Return to Earth on the Wii (will probably be shit, but it has to be played with)
    Sonic Screwdriver Wii Remote (don't tell me that doesn't sound awesome!)

And then, just to finish off, Big Finish, makers of the audio series with the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th doctors, have announced a subscriber only bonus in December:

The Four Doctors.

Cost £70 to subscribe for 6 cds, but this I have to get! A story with the 5th to 8th doctors? With daleks? Fuck, yeah!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

yeah, I don't even have a Wii and I am really tempted to get that remote. I am asking for the 'toy' sonic screwdriver for my birthday...we'll see. *shrugs* I also want a TARDIS keychain, to replace my little otter keychain I keep my room key on that is getting rather tattered. But, the shipping for me to get it from over there is a bit much...especially if I want the DVDs!

And again....specifically set aside $60 every year for the Supernatural DVDs. What's left is other cool things. This year, it might be (with any luck) Series 5.
    Though, SPN is ending in a year or two. I was contemplating the other day - Doctor Who will for sure be my "New Supernatural" While the show is going on I feel a little guilty thinking that, but the fact that it even crossed my mind proves it will be an excellent replacement

The anticipation has grown quite bad, though, I'll admit. I bought The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang on iTunes today...i couldn't help myself! I need to watch it again, with better quality than my online sources could provide.

Also, what are your thoughts on the "two plot line" thing Moffat is trying next series? Isn't that what they do multiple times a series, but more contained? And what is the timeframe of the two halves, as far as release schedule goes?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think every series so far has really just had a singular overall plotline going through it, so far as i could see: Bad Wolf for series 1, Torchwood for 2, Saxon for 3 etc. All the eps are mostly stand alone, but they've always had an arc running through them before being resolved in the series finale. The funny thing is though that the plotline for series 5 wasn't resolved, not really: we still don't know
    Spoiler:
    what caused the TARDIS to explode in the first place or what the Silence is.
    I'm hoping that begins to get answered in the first half of series 6.

And from everything i've heard, the next series will be as follows: first the xmas special, then the new series a few months later, same as always, usually starting around April, but only broadcast the first 6/7 eps, before coming back to resolve whatever the MAJOR cliffhanger is he's got planned in the autumn. Don't know when that will be specifically, but it's a great idea: the 7th episode of a series is usually when the audience figures dips in a series due to extremely good weather starting to appear, and The Big Bang kinda suffered as a result of summer. Broadcasting Dr Who in the autumn would really help the scary stories, too: when watching something like Blink at 7pm in the middle of bright summer, for example, it slightly lowers the scariness of it. Not much, but just a little bit! So i'm all on board with the split series Moffat's got planned. I'm also interested in what this huge cliffhanger could be!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

What I was referencing to with the plot arcs is that there tends to be a few multi-episode plots within each series. The "to be continued" arcs, I guess. I know they aren't quite as self-contained as would be these two series halves.
    Either way, I'm sure it would be exciting! I'll certainly be watching. It will be good to see how they solve that problem you mentioned, indeed.

I do think I will like the break, as antagonizing at it will be. That always bothers me with Supernatural, with their epic finales that occur in May and well in the daylight. The winter episodes are always creepier as a rule because of that fact.

BTW - I finally decided on a theme! that was my favorite part of the season, that little speech of his

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    And, I just read Matt Smith signed on as the Doctor through 2013, for the 50th anniversary. Here's to hoping that is accurate and nothing happens to mess that up.
    thats cool news indeedy!!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    And Supernatural is still a show I need to check out. Ordinarily, your recommendation would convince me to get a season 1 set straight away - they're cheap enough by now - but too much Dr Who merchandise to get and save up for over the next couple of months! Even if i could get one on this list as a xmas present, it wouldn't be enough!
    have you not got sky plus? i just watched series one and series 2 has just started. (I am also watching Bones from the begining too now)

Not sure how i feel about the split story line, but at least it gives me Dr Who fixes through out the year

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    What I was referencing to with the plot arcs is that there tends to be a few multi-episode plots within each series. The "to be continued" arcs, I guess. I know they aren't quite as self-contained as would be these two series halves.
    Either way, I'm sure it would be exciting! I'll certainly be watching. It will be good to see how they solve that problem you mentioned, indeed.

I do think I will like the break, as antagonizing at it will be. That always bothers me with Supernatural, with their epic finales that occur in May and well in the daylight. The winter episodes are always creepier as a rule because of that fact.

BTW - I finally decided on a theme! that was my favorite part of the season, that little speech of his
    Oh, Doctor Who's always had multi part stories. Those are stories are, despite going over more than one week, what I like to think of as being self contained storywise, but the cliffhangers always been an important part of the show: 99.9% of the stories of the original series were all serials. The two/three parters of the new series are usually stand-alone, with the exception of the finales, with a tiny trace of the on-going arc contained within. Of course, that all changed with series 5, but I expect there'll still be cliffhangers and 2 parters in both of the series splits.

Oh, and awesome theme, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    have you not got sky plus? i just watched series one and series 2 has just started. (I am also watching Bones from the begining too now)
    Got sky, but no sky plus i'm afraid, candy. Another reason for me to get a job is to pay the extra to get it: dad always complains about how much sky costs every month, but that's mainly because he gets in so late at night from work when there's nothing on! Even he thinks it's a good idea to get it if he can actually watch good stuff on sky! If i find a job that lasts longer than a month, i'll pay for however extra it costs a month to get it for all of us!

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

sky plus is just a one off charge, save your pennies. i can honestly say its the best investment - then subscribe to sky anytime (free of charge) and it tells you when new series are about to start. That way you can have a full series recorded for you and itsaves on buying box set (which mean you can save money for your collectables)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, i didn't know sky+ on its own without the HD was just a one-off payment! Fantastic!

Probably still won't get it anytime soon though - since season 2 has just started repeating, it'll be a while anyway before they finally get back to season 1 again - but definitely something for me to keep in mind. When I find a job that lasts longer than a fortnight, anyway! (Since the folks aren't really interested in sky+, it has to be me to raise the dosh to get it, which is fair enough, but with college fees and current who merchandise, even with me living with my parents and finally getting a job, it'll be a while before I can afford to get sky+!)

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

US Filming Confirmed

BBC America has reported that Doctor Who is to film part of the 2011 series in the United States.

The company has tweeted that the first two episodes of the next series will be set in the US. The news confirms reports taken from the online CV of Producer David Mason posted earlier this week.

The series has filmed in the country before, with parts of Daleks in Manhattan being filmed in New York City. However no scenes involving the Doctor have been shot in the country before.
    Source.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

that news brings both excitement and disappointment....
    He's going to be in the same country as me
    But the likelihood of them coming to a place even near the Midwest? Not great.

BUT - if I hear that they are anywhere within reasonable driving distance, you know I will be there...taking lots of pictures, most assuredly

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Awesome! Good to know I've got the midwest covered, at least!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Do you know when they generally begin filming? I couldn't find that information in the post and following sites you posted...it isn't listed anywhere yet? I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled.

What will be interesting is to see how much of a buzz them being over here creates. DW is pretty popular here, as more of an underground following. Well, at least compared to it's popularity out by you. I almost hope it doesn't create a huge buzz, as I hate crowds. Or, at the very least, I hope not too many people decide to flock to the filming site. Makes it easier to get closer and possibly talk to Eleven. (a girl can dream, right? )

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Haven't found any info yet, but will let you know if I do!

And whilst the US doesn't have as massive a following over there as here in the UK (it's usually described as "event television" over here, usually watched by millions every saturday night, that's how big it is), it's clear that a lot of the US fanbase are completely devoted to it.

Just look at the long line of people who waited to see the New York premiere of The Eleventh Hour!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rMdppMXqYM&feature=related"]YouTube - BBC America Doctor Who Series 5 - Doctor Who Hits the Big Apple![/ame]

So I will expect a ton of people will be interested if the US filming will be out in the open. Here's the thing with people in the US regarding Doctor Who, they can be divided into 2 categories: the people who love it, who catch every ep they can, who are practically obsessed with it...and the people who've never watched it, possibly have never even heard of it. Unlike over here, i don't think there's any US viewers who just happen to like the show. Clearly, there's an appeal to a US audience of a fun loving alien battling monsters, it's just a shame it's on a channel that hardly gets watched by many people!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's what I assumed was the case. I tend to be a little sheltered from most fanbases given that my friends are rarely interested in the same things, specifically television shows.

I think the turnout for filming, in this case, really depends on where it takes place, and when. Also, it matters how the announce it (if at all) much beforehand, among other things. I really hope this works out in my favor, though.
    Supernatural films in Vancouver, which is out of the question for me to visit, and whenever I went to New York (I've been there a few times, but not recently) all the film sets were either closed or completely private. I'd love to see something, even if it would just be a passing glance.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, it's official: filming's gonna take place in mid November in Utah. Link to the full details on the season opener here (btw, there's a couple of minor spoilers listed, including cast details, just to warn ya):

http://popculturezoo.com/archives/7091

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ummm......Utah.

I'm not sure I will be able to make it. Not with that timing. Mid-November, it says. That would put it....right before Thanksgiving, which is a week-long vacation at our university. And it's about a 19 hour drive to Utah...and without knowing where exactly in the state it is going to be. I dunno...I want to say I can make something work, but I am really unsure about it. Dammit...

I could always whip out my stalker skills and find out where they are flying into, but my guess would be from London to either Chicago LAX, Des Moines, or Omaha before hitting Utah/ Only Des Moines and Omaha would be feasible. Des Moines is about a 40 minute drive from campus, and Omaha is about 3 hours...
    I suppose I could make Chicago if I really wanted (about 4-5 hours away...) but to drive all that way for a small likelihood of a glimpse? I suppose I will just have to try and catch him if I ever make it out to London, then?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Or Cardiff. That's where they do most of their location filming, even if it's set in London. Still, there'll always be the occasional London shoot to fit big ben in somewhere! (Although now that I think about it, that might not be true anymore: all the episodes on Earth last season were set in villages or remote locations. Drat!)

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, well that might work if I decide to study there - Wales, anyhow. I'm looking at a school up there. We shall see...

Anyways, I just watched The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang again yesterday, inspired by my new theme....
    What are your thoughts on the convoluted time loop they have in the beginning of The Big Bang? I have't watched too many yet (in order, anyways) but I cannot recall any time where we see the Doctor's results of time travel before he physically does it...it was kinda like Harry Potter, where everything happened before they went back, so they technically should have been stuck in a time loop.
    Was that because he emplyed River's device as opposed to the TARDIS, or do you think it was simply a plot device
    Spoiler:
    To rescue himself/Amy from the Pandorica without confusion for the audience?

If that didn't make any sense, tell me. But do you get what I'm saying?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I must admit, I do think it was a bit of a plot device to resolve the mega cliffhanger of The Pandorica Opens, but I thought it was so brilliant and cleverly done
    Spoiler:
    (not to mention hilarious considering what the Doctor was wearing when he first appears in front of Rory)
    in such a brilliantly bonkers and wonderful finale that I easily forgive it. I do think that there's a couple of explanations for it: one, as you mentioned, might be the use of River Song's device, as he said it was a "messy" way of doing time travel, but I think an explanation that's just as likely is the fact that since Time itself was collapsing, it somehow found a way of saving itself using a last ditch resort by constructing the ultimate paradox, (that is, if we think of Time as something that can think for itself, in some way or other), using the Doctor as the focus of it.

The idea of Time being conscious and using the Doctor's timeline to save itself isn't quite so far fetched, since the novels in the 90s did actually reveal the Doctor to literally be Time's Champion. I don't know much about it, just that in the novels there were physical representations of not just Time but also Death, Fate, Hope and others. I know the books aren't officially canon, but it fits in so well with how the Doctor got out of the Pandorica that I think it fits in perfectly: it doesn't always guide his life and make things better for him, necessarily, not even if the whole of the universe is in danger, but if past, present and future was threatened as well? Yeah, I can buy that. I think it would at that point change the rules for the Doctor in order to save itself.

I do hope that next year's finale - or massive mid-way cliffhanger - is resolved better, though. There have been instances of the Doctor's future affecting his present in the show before - there's quite a few of these instances in series 3, actually - but never as obvious as a
    Spoiler:
    "Get out of unescapable prison free" card!
    Still, if there's one thing we can be thankful for about how convuluted the time loop was in The Big Bang, it's this - coming up with a ton of theories about why the hell it's never happened before!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Exactly! And yes - the outfit is fantastic. Though...he should never wear a fez. It pushed his hair down and makes his ears stick out. Stick with the bowtie, sir

That theory makes sense...your's, involving the time paradox created by Time itself. Or, maybe, even
    Spoiler:
    the TARDIS didn't want to explode forever, and created a situation that could bring itself back. It's pretty sentient, so I don't think that's out of the question either.
    I still think I like your theory better, but hey,
    Spoiler:
    if the most feared being in all creation can be brought back into existence by the memories of Amy Pond, I'll go with it.
    Speaking of...that was also very cleverly done! The "something borrow, something Blue" bit was fantastic! Plus...taking the time to "text" Geronimo at the end? I love this Time Lord so much. Just...everything about that finale was gold, excluding the time loop. And even that wasn't bad. It was certainly better than the time loop in Harry Potter. As a 10-year-old I was able to read that and go "huh? That doesn't work like it should...."

I was just watching it again yesterday, and that was bothering me. It didn't the first time around, but I was probably too amazed by everything to think properly. Normally, one of the things I love about Doctor Who so much is that they actually do time travel correctly, not the usual 'time-loopy' way that seems to be more commonplace. And I was just thinking about it....but as long as they go back to the normal route, I'm okay with it Hell...just give me more of Eleven and I'll probably be okay.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I don't actually mind time loops, of effect leading to cause leading to effect, if they're done right. And if they're not used as easy escapes, of course. If it's clever enough, and can lead to great developments in the story, then normally i'll love it. Have you seen Blink yet, btw? That's a classic head spin episode and a bit time loopy, but definitely a classic example of how to do it right.

There was actually one arc in the Eighth Doctor novels regarding a group called Faction Paradox, who mixed time travel with voodoo and did crazy time travel shit that just lead to headaches. Like infecting the Doctor with a time virus that basically made him one of them, but the only way he got the virus was that when, long ago, his past had been changed, but only because his Third incarnation had come into contact with his Eighth incarnation, but that only happened because he had been infected with the virus, the virus he got when his past had been changed.

Don't ask me to explain it, that's about as much sense as it was in the book, but in those circumstances it was acceptable because you had a group who messed about with time as part of the plot.

And I agree with you about everything about the finale being gold, minus the time loop. Actually, that was full of little loops, and those i never had a problem with, just the main one at the beginning was a bit too..."Deus Ex Machina", shall we say. A bit too cheeky. Like in the last couple of Dark Tower novels when the characters find hand written notes by
    Spoiler:
    Stephen King.
    But everything else in the finale was brilliant. I think my favourite moment was the story he told. Made me all nostalgic, that did. It didn't just make that episode, or even series 5 magical: it made the whole series, from 1963 to now and forever after, seem like a wonderful fairy tale in just a few words. Brilliant!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That story was actually when I knew this was my favorite show - that is has replaced Supernatural. Now...if you had known me for these past 5 years, you would understand what an amazing complement that is to the show and everyone involved.

But yes...it made it something special. And, as I'm sure you can tell I LOVE his little speech from Stonehenge in regards to the Pandorica. It gave me chills. To just have that much power, and command the hundreds upon thousands of ships away just like that...I love him. He's a big egotistical at times - and I think that was one of them - but with all he's done, I say give him a pass on that count. Because he almost always follows up with a moment like his with Little Amy...which makes me fall even harder - regardless of his regenerated form.

My problem is that I forget he's not human - though I think that's the point. Either way, I'm still waiting for my Doctor

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I love how alien the Doctor is sometimes. Especially in Matt's incarnation - you really get a sense of a really old man in a young man's body quite a lot. And I don't just mean in a dramatic way, either - who the hell thinks bow ties are cool?!? (Even if the bow tie does suit him incredibly well, it's just the way he says, "Bow ties are cool!")

It's also weird to think that the character Matt Smith is playing not only used to be a father but also a grandfather. Now that's really weird to think about!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

yeah...a bit weird. Well, even that he is 907 years old, even if he didn't have and children or offspring to speak of. Not that the fact will dissuade me at all...

I recently read a quote from Moffat: "Matt Smith is like a young man built by old men from memory." What you said matches that perfectly!
    What's wrong with bow ties, though? I think they are fabulous I actually have a friend I graduated with who LOVED bow ties. We had a uniform so we rarely got to wear anything fun...but on Wednesdays all the senior girls wore ties. Ryan took it upon himself to wear a bow tie every Wednesday also. Simply because "Bow ties are awesome!"

Me..I've always been fascinated with them only due to the fact that I still have no idea how one is tied! And I've always love the "old professor" look, anyways. Especially tweed. His jacket and suspenders are awesome

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, when I saw pics of Matt Smith in costume last year July last year (when waiting for a new series by Moffat having no idea what to expect when everything was going to be new was sheer agony), at first I was, "Hmmm..." over the bow tie and tweed look, then "Liking it..." before finally deciding that yes, it was a perfect Who outfit! Also love that Smith was the one who made it up on the spot, right down to the bow tie! Even Moffat was reluctant to have a bow tie before Matt tried it on and Moffat went, "OK, we're definitely keeping the bow tie!"

And saying that Dr Who has replaced Supernatural as your favourite show is really brilliant! As someone who knows what it's like to have a particular favourite show for years, but doesn't know what it's like to find a new one, that's a bold thing to say! Just shows how unique Dr Who is, I guess. Only Dr Who would have something as wonderful as the Doctor telling his story of "an old man who stole a magic box..." It's lines like that that have made me the fan i am, really.

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 120 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 ... LastLast