Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 120 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but at times I was confused because I missed the first 10 minutes and I don't watch the show regularly. Some bits didn't need to be there at all IMO, like the
    Spoiler:
    chase across the junkyard, and the green people,
    they could've been replaced with so many different thinks, perhaps a member of torchwood? I really didn't see the point.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My guess is Mark that, with
    Spoiler:
    the Master becoming every human on the planet, RTD would've needed at least another extra character to help the Doc, and the only way that could reasonably work is by including at least one other alien character, and with Torchwood being completely human I could see how that would've been difficult to do to include any of those characters. However, one common problem with RTD's writing is that he likes to include silly one off aliens, with the "talking cactuses" as Wilf called them not being the worst of these by far, so yes, it would've been better if he had written in some less silly aliens to do this.

Still, at least Wilf got that golden line!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

So he couldn't use Jack Harkness? Isn't he an alien?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    So he couldn't use Jack Harkness? Isn't he an alien?
    True, but with all the shit that happened in Torchwood: Children of Earth, with RTD himself having Captain Jack go through some pretty dark stuff and making one of the most terrible decisions for a hero to make, having him back in Doctor Who as his old, usual joking light hearted self would have been really out of place. By the end of that story
    Spoiler:
    he wasn't even on Earth anyway
    . No, if it was a choice between annoying green aliens, and having Jack reset to "family entertainment" after the epic Children of Earth, i'd go with the annoying green aliens meself.

EDIT: and when I say Jack Harkness is an alien, I only mean he is not from planet Earth. I haven't seen anything in the new series, apart from his immortality, which was only caused by a freak accident, that makes him any different from any human on Earth, both externally and biologically.

Spoiler:
    Although an immortal Master would've been really fun to have! Or made things a lot more difficult for Russell than needed be. Hmmm, i can definitely see why Jack was sent as far away from Earth as possible!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Finished watching part two a half hour back, and i still don't know how to describe how i feel. Right now these are the only words i can think of:

whoa, bloody hell, and omg. Yep, that's pretty much it.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

THAT WAS SUCH A GOOD ENDING! My Mum was in tears! Just out of curiousity, what was it that The Doctor was talking about with
    Spoiler:
    What the Time Lords created?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

If you're talking about stuff like
    Spoiler:
    the Nightmare Child and a ton of other stuff from the Time War, all i can say is: no idea. The Time War's never really been shown in serious detail until now, so a lot of the stuff the Doctor and the Time Lords mentioned about it are the tiniest of details.

But yeah, it was an amazing episode. So much better than last week's! A fitting end for the tenth doctor, i think.

Spoiler:
    And an amazing beginning for the eleventh, too! Can't wait till spring now!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

At the end when
    Spoiler:
    the Ood appeared, do they worship The Doctor?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

In a way. He was there when
    Spoiler:
    the Ood were freed from slavery, and they told both the Doctor and Donna that they will always sing songs of them.
    Spoiler:
    Although I'm not really sure why because really they did fuck all! It was really down to the Ood themselves that they became free from human slavery!

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

just finished watching it. i shall have to watch both ones again, to really savour it.

just read through the spoilers, and you answered my questions about jack, so thats good. I have'nt seen children of earth yet but i can pretty much guess what happened (from the scene in the bar) which is a shame but hey ho.

one thing i wondered about the end
    Spoiler:
    when he goes to say good bye to everyone, do you think that we will never see them again? that this was RTD ? moffit way of drawing a line for the new series?it was also very sad to see the end of all these guys too, i presume there will be no more torch wood? and martha and mickey? but i did like the line he said to rose. ' i bet your gonna have a great year'

watching this series (or specials in this case) wind there way to the end it appeared that number 10 went incredibley selfish and quite dis-likable?
    Spoiler:
    i know he came through for wilf, but in partin of the ways he saved rose without a second thought, - but i am biased as parting of the ways was just brilliant

not sure how i feel about this new dr yet, from the few seconds that we had he seemed very much dr 10? which when you look at the switch of 9 and 10 he changed straight away. but we shall see

my mind just whirled last night and i have decided i am going to get all the box sets from the first dr. wish me luck in tracking them down

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I thought it was a great finale for the Doctor. He got a better send off than most of his "predecessors." I thought it was brilliant how they turned around the 4-knocks thing at the end. I can't think of a better way for it to work out. I was thinking that with what happened inside the TARDIS at the end that they now have an excuse to revamp it, too, if they want.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

the same thought went through my mind too bev!

they really did want a new start and to draw a line didn't they

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    just finished watching it. i shall have to watch both ones again, to really savour it.

just read through the spoilers, and you answered my questions about jack, so thats good. I have'nt seen children of earth yet but i can pretty much guess what happened (from the scene in the bar) which is a shame but hey ho.

one thing i wondered about the end
    Spoiler:
    when he goes to say good bye to everyone, do you think that we will never see them again? that this was RTD ? moffit way of drawing a line for the new series?it was also very sad to see the end of all these guys too, i presume there will be no more torch wood? and martha and mickey? but i did like the line he said to rose. ' i bet your gonna have a great year'

watching this series (or specials in this case) wind there way to the end it appeared that number 10 went incredibley selfish and quite dis-likable?
    Spoiler:
    i know he came through for wilf, but in partin of the ways he saved rose without a second thought, - but i am biased as parting of the ways was just brilliant

not sure how i feel about this new dr yet, from the few seconds that we had he seemed very much dr 10? which when you look at the switch of 9 and 10 he changed straight away. but we shall see

my mind just whirled last night and i have decided i am going to get all the box sets from the first dr. wish me luck in tracking them down
    Apparently there just might be another series of Torchwood, there's still a lot of planning for it, but nothing really confirmed from RTD or the crew. However, they have said that although they've finished with Doctor Who, they're still happy to continue working with the spinoffs.
    Spoiler:
    However, it will be the last time the Doctor will see Jack and all his former companions, at least for a long while. And i'm glad about that. Sure, it's sad that we'll never see any of the important guys from the past five years, but it's good there has been a form of resolution to that. More importantly, it's good that the Doctor has realised he does change all his companions lives for the better after all. It just might be one of the biggest reasons why he's going to start travelling with someone again.

Spoiler:
    There's a big difference between saving Wilf and saving Rose, though. When he saved Rose, he did it without a second thought because he truly loved her, or at least loved her in a way that only the Doctor could. He gave his life for her because she really did help ease his pain over the Time War, so giving his life for her then was easy.

However, with Wilf, here's the thing that makes the Doctor so brilliant this time: he barely knows Wilf. Think about it, despite all that stuff about both of them being proud if Wilf was the Doctor's dad, he's still only met Wilf a few times, and that was mostly because of Donna. Even more imporantly, Wilf wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. And even the Doctor can see the terrible irony of surviving the greatest battle of his life, and then dieing for an old man who got himself stuck in a glass booth, a man who wasn't even supposed to be there in the first place and should've just stayed at home. Yes, the Doctor was selfish in not wanting to give up his life, but understandably so. It's not just the specials, either: ever since Journey's End we've clearly seen that the Doctor has become too attached to his tenth incarnation. Making the choice of letting go of that for one old man must have been the most difficult decision of his life.

I've gotta say I like the new Doctor, from what i've seen of him. Yes, there's bit of ten in there, clearly, but seeing as he's only just regenerated, that's understandable. However, there's certainly something different in his performance. I really can't wait for the new series.

Good choice, btw. There's not that many box sets, but I can give you a list of all the 1st Doctor stories in order available on dvd so far. Here they are:
    Season One
    • The Beginning: A set containing An Unearthly Child, The Daleks, and The Edge of Destruction. 13 eps, must buy, imo!
    • The Keys of Marinus
    • The Aztecs
    Season Two
    • The Dalek Invasion of Earth (good one with optional CGI effects replacing terrible tin foil spaceships with Dalek saucers. Even better was that this dvd was released in 2003, so you can imagine my shock when i saw the updated ones in Bad Wolf!)
    • The Rescue/The Romans (2 story set introducing new companion Vicki)
    • The Web Planet
    • The Time Meddler

Season Three
    • The War Machines

Well, that's all they've released on dvd so far. No release of the final 1st Doctor story the Tenth Planet unfortunatly, as the last episode is missing. Speaking of missing stories, there's also the set Lost in Time, which features a selection of incomplete stories from both the William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton years. Well, hope this helped, and if it didn't, well, you're way too fussy even by my standards, and considering how long this post is, that's saying something!

- Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

cheers doc; i'm looking forward to hunting the dvd's down. i couldn't sleep last night thinking of the old series, and how good they were. i really wanted to start at the beginning and work my way through, which is a bit of a bummer!

you're right about the MS performance being because of the new regeneration, hadn't thought of it like - i was a little apprehensive but went on line and looked at a preview of the new series and it looks damn good.

i will be sad about saying goodbye to everyone, its a little strange as in one way its ALL finished (DT / RTD / tardi etc) but i am also excited as i think moffit has written some of the best eps so far and i have persuaded a lot of people who weren't watching the series to now jump in as it will be like a whole new series.

Although i have seen a sneak of the new tardis and i was a little ?
    roll on spring 2010

in regards to end of time pt 2 i a going to watch this again, as i found watching pt1 again cleared up a few things.
    however:-
    Spoiler:
    i suppose you right about wilf (said grudgingly) but this is why i wanted him with a companion throughout the specials - but if they had done this his whole story arc would have ended differently. i didn't like the doc that he became but it had to be done for the story to go in that directions - also i understand they wanted to start the new series off with no connections and that would have been difficult to do with a constant companion

oh and
    major spoiler
    Spoiler:
    and micky and martha aw bless - i liked micky

I am also hoping BB3 shows the series from the start (9th dr) as they just keep showing the same eps. i can then tie it all together

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've just realised something else about how BIG all the changes are: namely, it's rare that Doctor Who should have this much change all in one go, even in the old series. Normally, when the Doctor regenerated, there was at least one companion from the previous Doctor ready to help out the new, to help ease out the transition. There are only two instances where a brand new series has begun with a new Doctor without a companion from before: there's Rose, obviously, but that's not surprising considering the series was starting from scratch, but much, much earlier than that was Spearhead from Space in 1970, which began with:
    • a new Doctor
    • no companions from before
    • and, for the first time, Doctor Who could be seen in FULL COLOUR

Bigger than that though was the fact that, after six years of travelling, the Doctor had found himself exiled to Earth, which would remain so for a few years.

God, could you imagine what the internet message boards would've been like if they were around back then? It would've been chaos!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

My Mum said she felt sorry for The Doctor because of The Wilf situation, and she loved Wilf (I think it reminded her of her Grandad, who played a big part in her life), I for one loved Wilf and I knew that The Doctor would have to do what he did. Also, the Doctor had to transform all on his own, which upset my Mum, because she thought he deserved better.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I thought it was inspired writing that a very human character should be the one that brought about the Doctor's regeneration. He wasn't killed by a vile monster or diabolical nemesis, he chose to sacrifice himself for one of the people that he had grown to love.

Question: Do you think we were meant to believe that was the Doctor's mother, the one with her hands over her face for most of it?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hey All - Wizard Magazine, issue 221 ( current issue ) has a feature on Doctor Who - a "review" of all the Doctors. It's about 3 pages long.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My Mum said she felt sorry for The Doctor because of The Wilf situation, and she loved Wilf (I think it reminded her of her Grandad, who played a big part in her life), I for one loved Wilf and I knew that The Doctor would have to do what he did. Also, the Doctor had to transform all on his own, which upset my Mum, because she thought he deserved better.
    i too felt sorry for him re-generating on his own, thats why i keep going on (and on) about how i wanted him to have a companion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I thought it was inspired writing that a very human character should be the one that brought about the Doctor's regeneration. He wasn't killed by a vile monster or diabolical nemesis, he chose to sacrifice himself for one of the people that he had grown to love.

Question: Do you think we were meant to believe that was the Doctor's mother, the one with her hands over her face for most of it?
    very inspired and very very sad, especially when the dr realised who was knocking.

i do agree that we were supposed to think it was mum.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

I did hear in the commentary Bev that the woman was intended to be the Doctor's mother, according to Julie Gardner, anyway. Why she was only credited as "the Woman", I don't know, but that's as near a confirmation as we're going to get.

Looking forward to the new series, Bev? With the impressive entrance by Matt Smith - which was actually written by Steven Moffat, which explains the switch from tragedy to awesome cliffhanger - and the trailer i've seen for the new series, i've gotta say, i'm looking forward to it a lot!

- Melike

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

RE: Him becoming more selfish--I think it was obvious why and was a very natural place for him to go--he had believed that he ruined people's lives, after what happened to Rose, and what happened to Donna--and so he chose to travel alone, for fear of hurting anyone else--or himself.

Further, when he saved Rose without a second thought--think about it--He's the Doctor, the beautiful thing about The Doctor is you always know he WILL pull through, just not how--and DT's Doctor thrived on that bit of egotism--he always 'knew" he would be fine, and so it was easy to throw himself under the bus. In this case--he knew he would die. He had a moment's reprieve when he thought he had "made it" but when the realization hit that he would, in fact, really die--he reacted in a fit--not because he was honestly thinking of NOT saving him--but because the truth had hit him--he would die there.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

& Bev--I do agree, I think it was supposed to be his mother.

The one thing I wish they had touched on, even just a little, before Tennant's departure, was the relationship with the woman from Silence In The Library. We know from that episode they were very close--perhaps closer than the Doctor even was with Rose--and one can only assume that this part of his life took place when he was 'traveling" alone, procrastinating on going to the Ood...I would have liked to have had even the smallest bit of explanation on who she was/what became of them...

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh & let me spam the thread one more time.

The cactus people were PERFECT for the episode for many reasons--one of which being that they did not know, nor did they have any reason to help the Doctor--it showcased the effect he tends to have on others.

Secondly, that's what Doctor Who is all about--the crazy aliens and sometimes campy effects.

Lastly, as was mentioned, they could not be human or it wouldn't have worked. I suppose they could have brought in an alien from some other story arc back to fill that spot--but it would have seemed rather forced, IMO--and again--it would have taken away from that one last chance to see #10's charisma at work, getting complete strangers to place ultimate faith in him and help save the day, even knowing their lives are at stake and that they could be "safe" if they just walked away.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ves'Ka Gan View Post
    The one thing I wish they had touched on, even just a little, before Tennant's departure, was the relationship with the woman from Silence In The Library. We know from that episode they were very close--perhaps closer than the Doctor even was with Rose--and one can only assume that this part of his life took place when he was 'traveling" alone, procrastinating on going to the Ood...I would have liked to have had even the smallest bit of explanation on who she was/what became of them...
    Remember how she described the Doctor, Ves'Ka? That it wasn't her Doctor? Maybe she didn't know the Doctor from his Tenth incarnation's future, but rather from a future incarnation. Let's face it, since she knew about regeneration, she could spot the Doctor with a different face from a mile away: just look for the weirdo in the strange clothes!

And on a completely unrelated note, here's a trailer for the next series. I think you'll like what you see in this trailer in particular, Ves'Ka: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iN1Ent7uzQ"]YouTube- Doctor Who - Series 5 Trailer - Matt Smith[/ame]

- Melike

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thankee for that trailer!!! If Crispin Glover and Matthew Modine had a kid together that's what he'd look like. Me like!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 120 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast