Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Was this book too short or too long for you?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too short.

29 23.20%
  • Too long.

24 19.20%
  • It was good as it was. No more no less.

72 57.60%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Was this book too long or too short for you?

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I like it as-is. I enjoy character backstory a lot, so there's no way it was too long for me. Had King gone much farther than he did, it would have seemed forced, though.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

I liked it the way it was.

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm always reluctant to second-guess the length of a book.

The perfect length for any book is exactly as long as it takes to tell the story, no more, no less. I trust King's judgment on that point.

Gunslinger Apprentice Baradin is on a distinguished road Baradin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool

I thought it actually was of a perfect length for the story it had to tell. Not too much detail, yet more than enough to fully allow the mind's eye to picture and encompass the scene that King was trying to portray.

Not my favorite of the books, but pretty damned close.
    "And within it, a stairway, perhaps rising to the Godhead itself. Would you dare climb to the top, gunslinger? Could it be that somewhere above all of endless reality, there exists a room?...

You dare not."

Mi him en tow
    Mi tow can de lach.

Along the Path of the Beam MaraJShakespeare is on a distinguished road MaraJShakespeare's Avatar

I would've been happier with an even longer book, but I wanted all of them to be longer.
    Last edited by MaraJShakespeare; 05-19-2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: I was originally mistaken as to the topic
    We place no reliance
    Upon virgin or pigeon;
    Our method is science,
    Our aim is religion!

-Motto of Aleister Crowley

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted "too long". I found it boring, but then again, I was in a hurry to get to the part where Tick Tock Man returned (Which proved to be disappointing as well).

Then again, it obviously wasn't too long, or else I just wouldn't have read it. But it was much longer than I would have prefered.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Book 4 wasn't one of my favourites either, but then I didn't dislike it.

Obviously, by the polarised reactions of fans to the 4th book, its probably a matter of what specific readers tend to get out of epic stories, and although the backstory was a wonderful tale and completely essential for the entire series to work, it broke the forward momentum that was built up during DT2 & DT3, and this annoyed me a little but I'm probably just impatient
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

For me, WaG was "meh". I just don't see the whole, undying, faithful love to shake the foundations of the world out of a few weeks of hot groping between two teens.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    For me, WaG was "meh".
    Meh??? :blink:

Roland would have understood.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Don't get me wrong, as a whole I enjoyed the book. However, I am mystified about the hoopla surrounding Roland and Susan's relationship.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Gunslinger Apprentice Glam Princess is on a distinguished road Glam Princess's Avatar

This book could NEVER be too long!!
    It could have gone on forever and I would have been happy!!
    (I love Sheemie!!)

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    For me, WaG was "meh". I just don't see the whole, undying, faithful love to shake the foundations of the world out of a few weeks of hot groping between two teens.
    this is why i say it's too short (that and because i don't ever want any of sk's books to end). i feel like roland and susan needed more interaction, they barely got to know each other.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think that WaG was the perfect length. It got everything it needed to in a book that was neither too short nor too long.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

This is also my least favorite. It's not because of the writing or anything like that, because I think it is excellent in that regard. I just get very emotionally attached to all the characters in SK's books, but most especially TDT. I hate how King took all this time to show you these kids in love that ultimately lose each other. Young love wasn't so long ago for me and I can remember all those extreme emotions. I get very attached to the story and I just have to put it down because I know what's going to happen and I hate it. Waaay too sad for me I'm a sissy.

I also disliked how Roland, supposedly the only gunslinger of their trio (in experience), was the one who broke their ka-tet or at least damaged it. While it showed him as a totally different person than the Roland we have come to know at this point, I didn't like how it detracted from his character.
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I think the idea there was that he was indeed a lot different that the "modern" roland because his journey has changed him so much.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I loved every page dear. I voted it was just right.
    of course if it had been shorter or longer I'd still
    be saying the same dont ya know...

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently listening to this one again in my re-read. I am bored already with the Susan-Roland crap...those parts are too long.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I can never get enough Roland back story, to short

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I'm currently listening to this one again in my re-read. I am bored already with the Susan-Roland crap...those parts are too long.
    I hardly understand how you can stand it at all. I could barely make it through when reading, and I read real fast; if I had to listen, I would be bored to death.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Well Jean, Frank Muller does make it entertaining with his different voices.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

*shrug* And I did enjoy those parts.
    We are different.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

I miss my ka-tet. I really, really wish there was more storyline about them instead of the flashbacks. On audio format, this book is really long.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't tell me that, Monte. I haven't listened to it yet.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    I personally loved it because it was outside the loop, that is the same reason I feel that the first katet was noteworthy.

What we get in Wizard and Glass is a true story of Roland before the damnation. Which I really like
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Spoiler:
    I personally loved it because it was outside the loop, that is the same reason I feel that the first katet was noteworthy.

What we get in Wizard and Glass is a true story of Roland before the damnation. Which I really like
    I never thought of it that way before. Interesting.
    Last edited by Matt; 10-17-2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: To put spoiler tags on my quoted post
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast