Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why Wolves of the "Calla"?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I had the impression that the "Wolves" from Thunderclap weren't the wolves King was referring to, but the wolves FROM the Calla. Wolves in sheep clothing, like Benjamin Slightman and Andy the Messenger Robot (many other functions)

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I had the impression that the "Wolves" from Thunderclap weren't the wolves King was referring to, but the wolves FROM the Calla. Wolves in sheep clothing, like Benjamin Slightman and Andy the Messenger Robot (many other functions)
    That makes a lot of sense actually.

I think it might be both.

And of course it was this book when they leart that those 'wolves' of a different kind were walking in on Calvin Tower and the rose. Sure, they weren't Calla wolves, but it was in the Callas that the ka-tet learnt of that particular threat.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    That makes a lot of sense actually.

I think it might be both.

And of course it was this book when they leart that those 'wolves' of a different kind were walking in on Calvin Tower and the rose. Sure, they weren't Calla wolves, but it was in the Callas that the ka-tet learnt of that particular threat.
    Both of your points are well taken. I agree, the title now makes sense to me.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

A lot of these takes on the book title are really good and I had similar views but I looked at it in a broader sense.....The ka-tet is on a long adventure and this is but one of their experiences, if say 10 or 20 years down the road they were to look back on the events of their quest they would probably say, "do you remember the Wolves of the Calla?"....the title is not so specific as to single one thing out, it groups a bunch of smaller events in a matter of a few words. Wolves of the Thunderclap, The Creeping Shadow, and The Shadow That Creeps are way to specific to generalize the whole book.

Another take on the title, Wolves of the Calla ..... OF used as a function word to indicate the cause, motive, or reason <died of flu> FROM used as a function word to indicate a starting point of a physical movement or a starting point in measuring or reckoning or in a statement of limits <came here from the city> ....maybe SK was not foolish for titling Wolves of the Thunderclap instead of Calla.

And one last idea- Thunderclap does not fit on the cover in that classic DT V font.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good question. Hadn't thought about it. Maybe we should. Other titles, as well, The Drawing of the Three, and all the intercourse that generated about who are the three.
    Just after sunrise wouldn't have worked.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

it is an odd title. i agree, i also think it has to do with various things that happen. the shit that happens in New York in (1977) Eddie said it best in the book on how out of ALL the hoods that are in New York "Balazarr" shows up with his goons?

or something along the lines of that. they are wolves i guess as well. or Big coffin hunters which is almost the same thing. i also think the title refers to Donald Calhan. sorry for spelling it's quite late here. it's also a take on his name as well. i pretty much think the three that Roland Drew were jake, eddie., & Suze" someone on maybe IMDB or this board made a mentioned of the number 19 just showing up all of a sudden that is i think odd.

sorry for going off topic a bit. i was just thinking about that, that's all. anyways. i think that is makes sense if also MAINLY anyways has to do with the threat that wants the calla's kids.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2