Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King being bashed re: Army comment

Gunslinger Apprentice MrsSmeej is on a distinguished road MrsSmeej's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Alinda... Have I mentioned that I'm an idiot sometimes?

Quoting Thomas Jefferson, I see? Very appropriate.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

This place grows on you pretty quickly
    MrsSmeej. It can be downright addicting.
    15 posts already.

Sorry...back on topic!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I LOVE the idea that Matt is some great internet conspiracy leader. It gave me a good laugh to read that bit about the 'plant' in the messageboard.

I actually sent him a message, we'll see if he posts it on his blog. Really wish I would have copied it.

They are giving me hell on that misspelling, I said I was a bit dyslexic (which I may be with how bad my spelling is)

My wife: "You're a lover, not a speller"
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    They are giving me hell on that misspelling, I said I was a bit dyslexic (which I may be with how bad my spelling is)
    You know what kinds of people do that, don't you?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure I'll like the answer

My Mood
    Angelic

People who can't win, and know it--so they try to make you look like an idiot instead.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I did like that. Thanks JandY.

I think you are totally correct, there is no way to attack the idea that we should have (and protect) free speech in this country so they had to go right to that.

My Mood
    Angelic

Exactly. Once they realize they can't win, then it's "Shut up."

I still remember the episode of All in the Family where Archie told Maude (trying to bait her) that this country was ruined by Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Her witty retort: "You're fat."

So it works both ways.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

You guys may have hit the preverbial head with a hammer there!
    Anyway Matt, I'm glad that you stand your ground, and speak your
    mind when an issuse is important. That again is exactly the point of
    free speach being used responsibly.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That Noel Sheppard is so narcissistic. He's already got two other blog entries about the King comment:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...s-shut-i-agree

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...message-boards

The comments are as hateful as ever. Even from people that say they've enjoyed his books in the past but will no longer read him.

My Mood
    Angelic

That's stupid. I've read books/watched movies made by people I didn't like, even though I didn't like the people themselves. I still liked the works they made.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think he's just awed by the fact that such a famous person responded to his little blog. He can't believe that and trying to goad Stephen into writing more, I suppose. Very sad.

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I think he's just awed by the fact that such a famous person responded to his little blog. He can't believe that and trying to goad Stephen into writing more, I suppose. Very sad.
    You may be right. Poor man....

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I know what he said, here is what I believe he meant;
    Soldiers are generally stupid. You would have to be stupid to march into machine gun fire or napalm a village. You'd have to be both stupid and evil to dream up a bio-weapon, and surely such thinking can only come from the military, which is made up of stupid people.

I absolutely support his right to be demeaning and insulting to millions of family members who ( maybe having been suckered or not, different topic ) joined the military after 9-11 to defend what we were told was a imminent threat to our way of life.

King has always been a liberal, and he wears it on his sleeves in his prose. Normally celebrity pontification annoys me, but I cut him slack because...well...he is the greatest writer in the history of writ.ing.

But what he did was to make a point about the war at the expense of American servicemen everywhere at a time when the subject was books and reading. Not saying he doesn't have a point, just saying it was rather clueless and classless to make it there and then.

That's why celebrities should stick to what they do best and leave the politics to workaday joes who are not worth a billion dollars or so.
    I mean, he should speak at rallies, donate money, whatever floats his parties boat, but not resort to...attention whoring.

Sorry folks, it's how I feel.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

My Mood
    Angelic

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, and I almost agree with you. That's hardly the place for stating your feelings about something else.

However, I don't think he got detailed enough to justify your reaction--that's just my opinion. Had he seized the opportunity and made a sermon there, I'd agree with you. But he just made an off-the-cuff remark (probably for a laugh), hardly worth such a reaction.

Honestly, I'm reminded of John Lennon's "We're more popular than Jesus now." Put in context, there was no reason to hone in on that and vilify either him personally or the Beatles in general as a result.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion, of course, and I almost agree with you. That's hardly the place for stating your feelings about something else.

However, I don't think he got detailed enough to justify your reaction--that's just my opinion. Had he seized the opportunity and made a sermon there, I'd agree with you. But he just made an off-the-cuff remark (probably for a laugh), hardly worth such a reaction.

Honestly, I'm reminded of John Lennon's "We're more popular than Jesus now." Put in context, there was no reason to hone in on that and vilify either him personally or the Beatles in general as a result.
    You may a good point.

I am a fan. My position is of a deep and profound love for the mans collective work.
    I certainly would not be so foolish to deprive myself of his next book because of a comment I don't agree with.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I too despise celebrities using their fame to further their political agenda, but I think JandY is right - I think King just made the comment at the spur of the moment, and didn't think much of it at the time. Like we all do. Every day.

The people that crack me up are the ones that now have their panties all in a wad about it and will never read a King book again.

It's called perspective, people. Get some.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I know what he said, here is what I believe he meant;
    Soldiers are generally stupid. You would have to be stupid to march into machine gun fire or napalm a village. You'd have to be both stupid and evil to dream up a bio-weapon, and surely such thinking can only come from the military, which is made up of stupid people.

I absolutely support his right to be demeaning and insulting to millions of family members who ( maybe having been suckered or not, different topic ) joined the military after 9-11 to defend what we were told was a imminent threat to our way of life.
    I do not agree with this at all ATG. I believe military service is a very noble calling and the people who decide to do it understand that their are sometimes things that are bigger than themselves.

I don't consider my self stupid for joining, it was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I'm also very proud of my son-in-law who is active duty now. It takes a hero, not an idiot, to do the things you mentioned above.

With that being said, I totally support your right to an opinion on the subject so I am glad you put it in here.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll weigh in on this more later. I served between 1985 and 1995. When I was recruited, I was graduating High School (by some miracle! lol), getting into drugs, not working, living in a small rural town and had no idea of my future. I thank the military for giving me the one thing I didn't have. Motivation.

There were some interesting men and women I served and their intelligence was never questioned. King spoke his mind, and that's his right. The soldiers are the ones we see every day on our TV and in our newspapers. They can be an easy target.

As for reading, I first read The Stand, Uncut and a lot of other books while serving in the Gulf War. Touche'.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Noel Sheppard and his gang are a bunch of fucktards!

I cannot believe how they are attacking King.

I am sorry that they don't approve of what he said, but some of the things they are saying about him have NOTHING to do with the issue at hand.

Can't wait til Ms Mod comes back and we get to see what happens!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Gunslinger Apprentice MrsSmeej is on a distinguished road MrsSmeej's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hesitate to jump in here again, but I just didn't see the comment as a slam on the military. Stephen King is an horror author... His first instinct is to scare people - something at which he excels. And lets face it, what could be more frightening than what our military personnel and their families are going through right now? It seemed to me that Sai King was employing a scare tactic - read or else the boogeyman will get you. Not an attack on the troops, whom he clearly supports. He, like I, just think they need a better Commander in Chief.

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

If every idiot with an ignorant opinion and a blog actually went overseas to fight instead of sitting on their asses typing, the 4000 dead wouldn't matter to me as much as it does.

Ah, two birds with one stone...

Country
    Country Flag

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    King spoke his mind, and that's his right.
    indubitably.

Just like it's, indubitably, my right to be confirmed, once again, in my opinion that authors of fiction are much more intelligent when they write fiction than when they speak their mind.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This is in response to a post further up

I totally agree on that score. And I believe this is a conversation we can have with civil tones so I am glad everyone is comfortable chiming in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast