Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: Under the Dome

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to Jeremy I was able to watch it.

Hilarious!!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Colbert video was hysterical. I was laughing out loud. I rarely do that with online videos.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    I'll be shaking hands with Sarah Palin in a couple of weeks, and, if I get a good picture of it, you can be damn sure it's going on my wall, but I promise I'm not going to start murdering people when I get home.

Holy crap look what I just found under my bed.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Holy crap look what I just found under my bed.

A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Just call me Jimbo.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the story, the politics did turn me off, but not just because of the views expressed. I thought MANY characters who had great potential, and in fact, the whole story's potiential was cut way short because of the "give a hoot, don't pollute" message. So much could have happened with Junior, Barbie, Big Jim, and so many more.

I thought a grand huge climax was coming, but it didn't, because in my opinion, King was trying to prove a point, (as if a fictional story, be it a book, movie, TV show, whatever, can PROVE anything), and that point can't be "proven" unless you have people dropping like flies and/or struggling to breathe. I think King let his environmental beliefs get in the way of what could have been a great story, but is only a good one as written.

Add that to the fact that the climategate e-mails surfaced only days after this book was released, and you have a whole new can of worms.

Spenc. As many times in the past I must agree with you. I also felt the touchy/feely ending of "just talk it out amongst yourselves."
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Obama’s second term

Now THAT'S fiction!

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like the story, the politics did turn me off, but not just because of the views expressed. I thought MANY characters who had great potential, and in fact, the whole story's potential was cut way short because of the "give a hoot, don't pollute" message. So much could have happened with Junior, Barbie, Big Jim, and so many more.

I thought a grand huge climax was coming, but it didn't, because in my opinion, King was trying to prove a point, (as if a fictional story, be it a book, movie, TV show, whatever, can PROVE anything), and that point can't be "proven" unless you have people dropping like flies and/or struggling to breathe. I think King let his environmental beliefs get in the way of what could have been a great story, but is only a good one as written.

Add that to the fact that the climategate e-mails surfaced only days after this book was released, and you have a whole new can of worms.
    yes sir ......i read dead zone not too long ago and he mentioned something about global warming as a new way to look at shit .....that was a old book .....we got a lot more information since then

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Country
    Country Flag

He also mentioned in an interview that he regards Sarah as "The female Greg Stillson."

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

He also mentioned in an interview that he regards Sarah as "The female Greg Stillson."

LOL
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

John F. Kennedy Blaine Is A Pain is on a distinguished road

Yeah, sometimes I get put off by politics in entertainment. I have not read this book yet so I am not sure exactly what happened. I do get turned off when politics is blatantly put in something that is entertaining mainly because it just takes me out of the story, music, whatever. For instance I don't like hearing Mellencamp go on a political tanget during the middle of his concerts. I know he is going to do it but it just zaps the fun out of the moment of hearing the music. Plus, I don't like it because he will act like everyone in the world believes exactly what his opinion is. I am not really saying that I disagree with what he is saying but at the same time it's just not the time and place for it. I am just using him as an example others have done it to like The Dixie Chicks, Barbara Streisand, etc. I remember Rosie O'Donnel going off on the Magnum PI actor (momentarily forgot his name) about gun control of all things on her up until then lighthearted tv talk show where she actually pulled in a lot of tween viewers. It's like they get a big head and think they HAVE to talk about their political views for some reason.

Anyway, King has always peppered politics into his novels. For the most part they are just kind of sideshow to what is going on in the story. I usually don't mind them because it puts the characters in that moment of time. It's easy to believe that the character shares whatever view he is presenting. Even though it is fairly obvious King is putting in his own personal spin or view on things but it usually does not detract from the tale. However, if it gets to over the top I could see myself being annoyed a bit. Even if I agree with his views.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Well said!

John

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

he peobally can't much help it since he pours his heart into a book ....then some of his view get in there too .......idk what he believes just keep writing and get to writing another DT i don't give a fuck how many people say he shouldn't

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Is A Pain View Post
    I remember Rosie O'Donnel going off on the Magnum PI actor (momentarily forgot his name) about gun control of all things on her up until then lighthearted tv talk show where she actually pulled in a lot of tween viewers. It's like they get a big head and think they HAVE to talk about their political views for some reason.
    The actor is Tom Selleck, and she totally ambushed him with the gun control stuff AFTER she assured him that they would only talk about his new movie and not about politics. As an aside, the fact that her bodyguards carry guns doesn't seem hypocritical to her at all.

The ironic thing about this is that the movie Selleck was promoting was "In and Out", a very pro homosexual tolerance movie in which Selleck plays a sympathetic gay character. What with O'Donnell's advocacy of that issue, you would think she would want to spend time promoting that issue instead of going off on a tangent and taking time away from the gay rights angle, but, no, she'd much rather find a reason to be rude.

Here's the segment:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtkgoGY4Cm4&feature=PlayList&p=F56C3C054E9 095E2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18"]YouTube- Tom Selleck on the Rosie O'Donnell Show[/ame]

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Well said!

John
    I totally agree, except for the lone case of "Under the Dome", which I obviously have the opinion of being too over the top .

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I viewed the entire 8 minute video, and though I might not agree with everything Selleck said, I thought he was remarkably calm, cool and coherent in his live reaction to Rosie's ambush. Hard to believe he didn't walk off.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. My favorite part is when Rosie asked Tom did you read the ad...in response to him asking her if she'd read it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default New photo covers for the UK Under the Dome paperbacks

From Lilja

Hot on the heels of the news that the creative team at Hodder has won the Book Marketing Society’s Best Campaign Award for Stephen King’s latest hardcover, UNDER THE DOME (published in November, 2009), and nominated as finalist in the Revolution Awards 2010, Hodder is proud to announce plans to take the paperback to an even greater audience when it is published in July.

The strategy behind the summer publication is to generate the excitement usually expected from a major television or film launch, and the campaign is designed to reach a raft of new readers, challenging people’s perception of Stephen King and connecting with an audience usually outside the reading culture.

Hodder are unveiling a radical new package featuring four different covers, each reflecting in a filmic way characters from UNDER THE DOME. The marketing campaign supporting publication will seek to bring to life individuals featured on these covers. Media used will include national outdoor posters, on-line advertising and a dedicated website with stories and recordings from characters in the book. The plan is very much to reach a bigger audience than for any previous King paperback whilst involving the reader in a very personal and intimate way.

UNDER THE DOME is the most successful and biggest selling King hardcover this decade and Hodder expects that their innovative and energetic approach to the paperback will reap similar rewards.

Am I the only one baffled by these? I have no idea what characters these are supposed to represent. I mean, that old guy isn't Barbie is it? Looks nothing like him.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They're interesting photos but I'm not keen on the idea myself. I'd rather just have decent artwork cover of the town covered in the dome, like the hardback.* As for the advertisement campaign... I'm not against books being advertised, but this seems a bit much.

*Mind you we might still get that. I hope so. I haven't bought this book yet.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Under the dome : best novel ? british fantasy awards 2010

UNDER THE DOME, is nomited for the Best Novel, in the british fantasy awards 2010 !

As well as "Artists inspired by Stephen King", which is running for the best "non fiction" book!

http://www.britishfantasysociety.org.uk/index.php
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I see that Joe Hill's Locke and Key is nominated for best graphic novel too.

John

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I want King to get this award.

Because Duma Key is the best novel - no matter how good its contenders are.

Also because I want King to get all literature awards there are. All other awards too, for that matter.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, Under the Dome is in the running, not Duma Key. I agree that both are excellent reads!

John

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the same applies to Under the Dome... though Duma Key is a better novel, the principle remains the same!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I agree that Duma Key is the better novel, and I want King to win accolades too, BUT even having not read the other books on the list I have a hard time believing UTD is the best book nominated. Good books deserve to be recognized, but I don't believe any author (or other professional) should win an award just because of who they are. I saw that happen several times with the Hugo Awards. I didn't like it then, and I wouldn't like it now. UTD was good, but I don't think it was award worthy.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 LastLast