Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Rose Madder - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

'til the end of the world rosie real is on a distinguished road rosie real's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really want to read this entire thread before making any comments as this is my favorite book by Stephen King.

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I can see the faults with this book (King himself referred to it as a "trying-too-hard book" I think and didn't like it much?) but I still like it a lot. It's not in my top 5 but I think it has a lot to offer. I have vivid nostalgic memories of reading the UK hardback as a teenager (the one with the Norman masks/bulls on the cover and the rose with the drop of blood on it inside the endpapers). I re-read it a year or two ago and still found it very intriguing. The mythology bits are a bit undercooked but the pursuit parts are great and I loved the ending (epilogue) where she's staring at the fox, it has some very haunting lines about mortality and motherhood if I remember right.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I really need to re-read this one. I remember enjoying it, but it's been years since I read it, so I can't remember everything clearly.

I do, however, remember my immense hatred for Norman. Can't forget that.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I always felt that the biggest flaw in Rose Madder was the introduction of the supernatural aspect. Continuing the story as a thriller/suspense novel would have been great. Just my opinion.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Totally agree with you there John. I was initially intrigued by the painting and the other world but the suspense/pursuit parts are the strongest in that book imo. I'm looking forward to reading "Mr Mercedes" as it's supposed to be straight suspense, no supernatural.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if I agree. The supernatural part sure isn't the book's forte, but it somehow sets off the thriller/suspense component, which by itself might have seem rather trivial. I wasn't crazy about the book, but it seemed to me that it's exactly the combining - however (maybe intentionally) clumsy - of the two parts either of which is nothing much by itself that makes this novel so strangely beautiful and distressing. I got to reread it, though.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Losers Club episode on the novel, one of my all-time favorites! Exciting!

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/con...t/e/78012847#/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5