Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rose Madder - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

loyal follower of Tiamat kirin is on a distinguished road kirin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes i suppose all i meant was that generally the transition is far more subtle it starts with small things like belittling the woman or man in company, isolating them from family they normally build up to the violence do wife and husband beaters, not always but normally

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yeah... i just think we didn't get to see the progression.. they'd already been together for a while when the story started. like in IT Beverly's husband started that shit when they were dating. in an experience i know about in real life it didn't start with belittling, but sort of jumped right into the physical. but not all wife beaters are created equal.

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Saw the most awesome Rose Madder reference on tv the other day!

The Disney Channel has a cartoon called Phineas and Ferb, which is really funny. In an episode entitled, Greece Lightning; Leave The Busting To Us, they visit a museum exhibit on Ancient Greece and are inspired to hold a chariot race.
    Phineas and Ferb's (and Perry the Platypus's) arch nemesis, Doctor Dufenschmirtz tries to sabotage their race using a robot he's made, of a man called Norman. For most of the cartoon Norman wears a bull's headmask and chases the characters...

...aha! Found it!!
    [ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ru9ZHdD_e2Y&feature=related"]YouTube - PhineasAndFerb-Greece Lighting part 1[/ame]

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M3bNQSnwNlE&feature=related"]YouTube - Phineas and Ferb Greece Lightning Part 2[/ame]

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    . For most of the cartoon Norman wears a bull's headmask and chases the characters...

...aha! Found it!!
    YouTube - PhineasAndFerb-Greece Lighting part 1
    Wow, that's kind of a bizarre and random. Good catch Lisa.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's wild! Great find!

John

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks It's funny, because I was originally watching it on tv with my kids and when I started jumping up and down shouting "That's Norm!!" they were like, "Mum's finally flipped!"

Country
    Country Flag

guess they just decided to throw something in there the parents might recognize.

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It's good to know there are King fans lurking everywhere

Country
    Country Flag

i know! i found one in one of my education classes.. she like DT!!! Nigel's mom was a King fan until Pet Semetary i think she said... it got too... idk gory or crazy for her then.. i'm trying to get her back on it.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Thanks It's funny, because I was originally watching it on tv with my kids and when I started jumping up and down shouting "That's Norm!!" they were like, "Mum's finally flipped!"
    "Finally"??
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

*gives CK a wedgie*

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Just finished Rose Madder.

Wow.

I haven't enjoyed a work by Stephen King like that since Insomnia!

Country
    Country Flag

another fan!! i wish i had my copy. i'm craving a reread.

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Just finished Rose Madder.

Wow.

I haven't enjoyed a work by Stephen King like that since Insomnia!

I've got to listen to it again. I think I'll start tomorrow.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wish I could start re-reading it right now, but I am reading seven other books at the moment, at least three of which are overdue (Cell for voting, and two others promised to my mother by Sunday).

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed this book a lot. I need a re read too.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Norman was a great antagonist. There were a few things I found hard to read though...stuff like what he's do with that tennis racket, his biting, etc. On some level, I felt like Norm had some masculinity problems and it made him all the more interesting in a kind of morbid way. I found some of his dubbings to be pretty funny, like "Thumperstein", "Lesbo Babes in Toyland", etc. They were a nice offset to his fucked up antics.

I have to say this is probably #3 in my top 5 King books, outside of DT1-7.

Country
    Country Flag

the biting was especially scary to me.. idk why it would be scarier than that damn tennis racket, but there's something about it that made him seem.... idk... super like he was some sort of animal or something.. and a possessive vicious animal with police benefits and instincts is just too scary..

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I feel the same exact way, the biting was really scary to me.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I feel the same exact way, the biting was really scary to me.

Yeah, but admit it, it kind of turned you on too...

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Yay! Just finished reading Rosie Real!
    I really enjoyed the book! The biting was the scariest part for me, as well... really sadistic.

So, again with the spider... is the fact that SK uses these spiders disguised as people mean they are all the same spider? Is there a connection?

Or is it just that SK is afraid of spiders which is why they keep recurring?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

On the subject of spiders, does anyone think that the baby Rosie saves (DT spoilers)
    Spoiler:
    is baby Los?

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I always thought it was the baby she lost.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I always thought it was the baby she lost.
    I think it is in a way. I think it is her baby's twinner. I.e. Rose Madder's was born while we know what happened to Rosie's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast