Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rose Madder - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Why do you feel it wasn't needed?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

i never much thought of it as uneeded, but i found it rather pointless and overall useless. i just cant figure out why she had the rage or what it even had to do with a fucking tree.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

If something is pointless and useless doesn't that amount to the same as un-needed? Seems to me it does. Lets see, she was beaten to the point where she was this man's slave for fifteen years thereabouts...and you can't figure out why she would have any rage? The tree was a place where she was able to go to deal with that rage.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

It just didn't go with her personality.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Her personality as we knew her throughout the book, but she was able to let go of her fear and she had a lot of rage towards Norman. Seems to go with her personality at the end.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, reading this thread I think I need to re-read it...I don't remember a lot from the book, other than I had a very disturbing dream where in I was in Norm's place, in the scene were he is chewing the (police officer's??) face off. *heebie jeebie!*

I did like it a lot...but it seems like second time's a charm with this one so I'll have to dig it out...

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i just got this audiobook (even though it's on cassettes). i'll just have to dub them onto cd, then put them on my computer to transfer onto my ipod.

the opening scene is horrifying. and the description of her going back to sleep - and sleeping for 14 more years - is so apt. sometimes that really is what it feels like - sleeping through it all. and i love the "pooh's chair" scene. that she calls it that and doesn't even realize that she probably calls it that because it calls to mind safety and warmth.

i have sometimes wondered if norman wasn't tom rogan's twinner. did anyone else feel that when they were reading the book?

Traveler mdcphoto is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a guy and I loved this book. I enjoyed it and though the super natural brought a cool added element to the book.

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

eh, i find Tom Rogan to be much lighter than Norman, theres a difference between a wife beater and a totally insane wife beater.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is one of my absolute favorite King stories. Norm is the greatest monster ever created because he's a real monster, one that many women have actually lived with. And as someone who's seen this kind of thing first and a half handed (long story lol) I can attest to the fact that the rage thing and the tree made perfect sense. Like the Crimson King said, after 15 years of that kind of abuse, rage builds up... no matter what kind of personality you have.. I am an extremely calm person (almost to the point of fault... I got my purse snatched from me and once and barely batted an eyelash. the cop asked me what i'd been drinking lol), but I often have feelings (mostly through dreams) which lead me to believe that I may have some serious rage issues.. sometimes its funny... other times scary. And I've never been in a fight in my life (lucky for anyone who'd want to fight me). So I guess reading this novel I saw a lot of myself in Rosie, but it's so powerful I think anyone can like it... except maybe a Norm lol...

Oh look at me rambling.... ummm anyone that hasn't read it... give it another (or a first) chance. I fell in love on my first read.

had to send my tapes back to the ebay seller. one of them was twisted and wouldn't play. very sad since i didn't even know that rm was available as an audiobook and then i found it and now i don't have it anymore.

i had just gotten to the part where norman was sitting in the park squeezing the tennis ball (should i be more specific?? )

now i'm searching again. oh, on the bright side the ebay seller refunded my purchase price, shipping, and the money i spent to send the defective tapes back to him. totally didn't expect my shipping costs back. what a great guy!

Country
    Country Flag

that's good. did they get damaged on the way to you you think?

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    that's good. did they get damaged on the way to you you think?
    i don't think so. maybe during the rewind. he said he only listened to them once and that's probably true. they looked and sounded pristine. but sometimes if the tape head catches a tape just right. . . .

very sad. so i'm on the prowl if anyone hears of anything.

Traveler PixelJuice is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Connections...

I would love to know the mythology behind the "people in the picture". Yes, the Minotaur, but it doesn't follow the story of the Minotaur. Who is the veiled woman and her companion? Who is the baby? Do we know them from other stories - King quotes RM as being a DT tale. Any ideas?

Traveler PixelJuice is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Incidentally, yes it is a great novel. I enjoy the ones that make me sit back and think as well as the plain terrifying ones.

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved it the first time and every time after.

Regarding the rage thing...I thought that because she kept the seeds when she was told not to was why she began to lose it a bit. Wasn't she warned by Rose Madder not to keep them?
    That was how I interpreted her rage, anyway.

Dorcas and Rose Madder did spend some time in Lud, didn't they?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Traveler TheFisherman is on a distinguished road TheFisherman's Avatar

It wasn't may favorite book, but it was still a good read.
    Norm is one of Kings best antagonists and has one of the creepiest catch phrases King has ever wrote.
    "I want to talk to you up close"

Country
    Country Flag

That line always made me squirm. This story always made me physically uncomfortable, which is why I love it so much lol

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Tiffany - yes, they had been in/travelled through Lud.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    I loved it the first time and every time after.

Regarding the rage thing...I thought that because she kept the seeds when she was told not to was why she began to lose it a bit. Wasn't she warned by Rose Madder not to keep them?
    That was how I interpreted her rage, anyway.

Dorcas and Rose Madder did spend some time in Lud, didn't they?
    dorcas didn't say anything about the seeds to the best of my recall. i believe that rose madder told her to remember the tree - which to me meant she was supposed to keep the seeds and plant them. but she didn't, which was why the rage overcame her; she hadn't followed through as she was supposed to. once she planted the seeds and the tree began to blossom she was able to remember it (i.e. visit it) and her rage began to dissipate.

also, dorcas gave her the tiny bottle with the drops of the river in it for bill's memory. and when it was empty and rosie got rid of it (toilet) she almost flushed the seeds and that's when she heard rose madder tell her again to remember the tree but she didn't do anything about it until she found the seeds in her purse later.

i may be misremembering who told her about remembering the tree, it's been awhile since i read that book. it's next on my list.

"i want to talk to you. right up close."

Country
    Country Flag

I just got to the part in IT with Tom Rogan and Norm makes him look sane... even childish...
    "I'm gonna give you a whuppin." vs. "I want to talk to you. Right up close."

Norm always wins.

Gunslinger Apprentice LemurJones is on a distinguished road

Oh... kay. I read Rose Madder a little over 6 years ago, so I didn't really remember all of it too well...

But.... you guys coulda warned miss 4-months-pregnant lemur about the prologue, maybe? ;_; I read the first page and I had to shut the book and walk somewhere else for a while.
    "I just know that something good is going to happen."
    ~Utah Saints

Quote Originally Posted by LemurJones View Post
    Oh... kay. I read Rose Madder a little over 6 years ago, so I didn't really remember all of it too well...

But.... you guys coulda warned miss 4-months-pregnant lemur about the prologue, maybe? ;_; I read the first page and I had to shut the book and walk somewhere else for a while.
    awwww. fuck lemur. i totally missed the part where you said you were going to read it. i'm really sorry.

are you okay?

Gunslinger Apprentice LemurJones is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm not the one that it happened to, so I am alright, but... it was way too easy for lemurs with hyperactive imaginations to be all... and... blarg.

Anyway I did go back and read the rest of it except for the bit at the very end, so I was cheered up because of Gert's peepee skills.
    "I just know that something good is going to happen."
    ~Utah Saints

Gunslinger Apprentice ZGDK is on a distinguished road ZGDK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I want to talk to you. Right up close.

That line makes me shudder. I just finished Rose Madder and loved it. My only complaint is that it just seems kind of random when she enters the painting for the first time. Needed more supernatural IMO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast