Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

oh you might be interested in This Thread as well

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Traveler Phoebeusfenix is on a distinguished road

Ok now your just being a smart ass just kidding I do appreciate it.

Along the Path of the Beam GirlGoneNineteen is on a distinguished road GirlGoneNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was totally bummed when I finished the series...I didn't WANT to read about anything else!

Though since I finished, I'm getting around to reading a lot of SK's other books, and finally making the connections to DT that I didn't understand before:
    Insomnia
    The Stand
    Low Men in Yellow Coats
    Dreamcatcher (reading now)
    and some others that didn't relate to DT. But it really is a trip to come across some of those characters again unexpectedly!
    So much you did and so much more you would have done, aye, and all without a check or qualm, and so will the world end, I think, a victim of love rather than hate. For love's ever been the more destructive weapon, sure.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Salem's Lot should be at the top of your list.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, it should

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

third to that

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GirlGoneNineteen View Post
    I was totally bummed when I finished the series...I didn't WANT to read about anything else!

Though since I finished, I'm getting around to reading a lot of SK's other books, and finally making the connections to DT that I didn't understand before:
    Insomnia
    The Stand
    Low Men in Yellow Coats
    Dreamcatcher (reading now)
    and some others that didn't relate to DT. But it really is a trip to come across some of those characters again unexpectedly!
    Talisman and then most importantly Black House.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Traveler diovivente is on a distinguished road

Default Depressed

So I just finished the books for the first time, and I have to say... I'm depressed.

No, it wasn't the ending. I actually loved the ending for what it was. I felt it fit and since I didn't really want the tale to end I'm happy it kind of didn't.

That being said, the tale really IS over for me, and I'm sad. Roland and his tet were the greatest group of adventurers I have ever read about. In all honesty, these books were the best books I've ever read, and after reading something like this I just don't know what to do with myself. There are other books to begin reading now, but I kinda feel like "What's the point", they won't be the Dark Tower.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

*wolfhug* And the Dark Tower will never be new again, but you can read it again. We all do.

Welcome, gunslinger. Long days and pleasant nights.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Traveler Shinra is on a distinguished road

I actually got to admit I didn't feel that way, which is otherwise usually the thing that knocks me in my head when I'm done with a serie of books.

In this case it, I (as you said yourself) think the end is fitting, and it's just so damn right I can't feel sad about it.

I actually felt pride when I finished, Roland is Roland and he is what Ka makes of him and... well, ya.

Maybe I'm just happy about having actually read this xD

EDIT: Nowadays, I also tend to find similarities between DT and games/books nowadays... Hell, Fallout 3 became a whole lot more fun when I started to imagine it was a place that had moved on (and recently too, not a gazillion years ago) ^^

Gunslinger Apprentice disel24 is on a distinguished road disel24's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well met gunslinger, we all say the same and say thank ya. Stay a while, if nothing else you'll have the companionship of other likeminded individuals that enjoyed Roland and his tet's adventure.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Good call.
    By "we all do", I was refering to re-reading.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Glad that you enjoyed the series. I know how you're feeling though. After I finished VII, I thought Now what do I read? because I had spent such a long time reading DT and only DT.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oh I WILL re-read it, just not now. I wanted to process it for a bit. Any suggestions for other books to read? I was thinking about trying out The Stand, as I've never read it (watched the Mini Series on DVD, though)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Defintely read The Stand.

...and welcome!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice disel24 is on a distinguished road disel24's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well let's see:

The Stand
    The Tailsman/Black House (Both tie into the Dark Tower)
    Salem's Lot, if you haven't read it
    Little Sisters of Eluria (Short story about Roland)
    Duma Key (not dark tower related but AWESOME)

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

I feel your pain, friendo.

I was very depressed when it was over, too. It hits you somewhere around book 7. And the end, you realize, is inevitable. And it's going to be tragic, and sad, and complete. I had to slow down the reading towards the end. A chapter here and there. Went somewhere nice, outside, smoked a little, and finished the ending. Sat there and thought about it. Very somberishly. i know that's not a word, but i think i like it anyway.

It'll get easier. You get to now yuck it up with the chuckleheads on this site, and talk about it, theorize and speculate on what means what, what you think happens next, etc. It's fun.

Now, i'm gonna throw a couple of books at ya that I really like, even though i'm sure there's a thread for that. but there's no time to go looking for it now, so here you go:

Frank Herbert's Dune - Awesome. Epic. Well-written. 7 books. Don't read the other hogwash that Frank's son puts out. It's garble darble, it sucks. just the original 7.

Harry Potter Series - J.K. Rowling - If you haven't read this, you're nutty. One of the greatest series of books ever. This is coming from a guy who wouldn't give it a chance for years because he thought it was lame and kiddish, a stupid story about jerky little jerk wizards that go to school and get emotional with each other, and play soccer on broomsticks.

Not the case. The books evolve as the main characters do, and J.K. Rowling knows her way around great storytelling. Read it. Do it.

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho - Just a good book. About life, and spiritual journey's, finding the soul of the world

1984 - George Orwell - Actually ashamed to say that i just read this recently. I can't believe i hadn't read it earlier. It's really terrific. and sad. and dismal. Listen to the album The Resistance by Muse while you read it.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Welcome!

I felt the same way when I finished. In fact, because of how it ended, the first thing I did when I finished was go back and re-read the first sub-chapter of The Gunslinger, which had SO much more meaning for me now. While I have yet to re-read it, I intend to do so, probably this year. In fact, it impacted me so much that I had to type up my thoughts on the matter (went on for several pages, too).

If you want suggestions for what to read now, have you read IT yet? That was the first thing I read after The Dark Tower, and it made me feel the same way when I finished it. No other Stephen King works have given me "post-novel depression" in that way, no matter how much I enjoyed them. If you haven't read it yet, I recommend it highly.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I found out my father actually had a copy of The Stand from its original printing, so I decided I'm gonna give that a read. Only about 80 pages in thus far, but liking some of the characters. No Roland, though... lol

Traveler slacoss328 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Ah yes, the Post DT depression has set in and I only just finished 30 minutes ago, or so. It actually took me a while to get through the last few chapters. I got the sense that I was already dreading the fact that I would be finished, and was finding excuses not to read. I am sure at some point I will pick the books back up, or try and listen to the audio version. I just picked up Salem's Lot, so at least Father Callahan (Calla Callahan) can once again enter my mind!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8