Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Books so bad they make you Anemic.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-tet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-tet View Post
    Did somone mention To Kill A Mockingbird? No?
    Anyone who would (I know, for example, that Steve is of very low opinion about that book) is very welcome to expand on it in our Book Club.
    i originally didn't liek it. I still don't lve it, but it was enjoyable.
    Enjoyable in a way that makes you....WANT TO DIE?!
    nope, in a way that makes me consider reading it again in a few years. can't believe i just said that.
    o.O nor can i.....that book just makes me want to....
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dune is a monumental book in both width and scope. It deals with some HUGE ideas and can be a bit of a chore to get through at first. I found it to be one of the best tales I have ever read. Forget the movie made in the 80's. The book and the movie have only passing similarites. The general plot is the same in that it takes place on the same planet, has the same main characters, and most of the same supporting characters.

LotR wasn't too bad either. Seriously, as much fun as the films were, the story was even better.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Lot of Hate on this thread.

Liked alot of these books.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I don't think of this as a hate thread. I think of it as an "I humbly suggest that you do not read this book, for if you do, you will lose a significant number of IQ points" thread.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for clarifying, razzman.

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beeen View Post
    I'm impressed with some of you guys. When I can't get into a book, I generally stop reading it, then block it out of my memory. It's a struggle for me to read more than a chapter or two of a book I don't like.

There are a few exceptions though. The Great Gatsby, for one. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone defending this. (Did I miss it?) Someone, somewhere has to like it, or else it wouldn't be required reading in school... right?

There was an autobiography I had to read for a class once that was supposed to be about this woman's struggle to become a firefighter. Half the book was devoted to showing how rich she was and how much leisure time she had. It made it look like she was only pursuing the firefighter job as a sort of dare. The fact that she only stayed with the job for a number of months reinforced that. The whole thing really irritated me. I never understood what we were supposed to get out of reading it.

I have struggled to read The Lord of the Rings and Dune several times, but never managed to get more than a few pages in. I did like The Hobbit and I liked the movies of LotR and Dune, so I'm not sure I can call them entirely bad. They just bore me half to death.

I've never read any Jane Austen books, nor To Kill a Mockingbird, so I can't comment on those.

Also, I really hated Cujo.

i enjoyed gatsby for the tragedy that was jay gatsby and the very poetic prose of fitzgerald. LOTR i had trouble with the first time, even taking a year off from it, but i recently reread it and enjoyed it a lot. i geuss i just needed a few more years under my belt to appreciate that book. as far as mokingbird goes, easily one of the top ten novels of all time, imho.

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I
    am
    a
    hero.
    I have finished the Lord of the Flies.
    LotF

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bears are very glad to see this title in this thread. Bears hate this book.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

It wasn't that bad... moreover. I might give it a try later. There are lots of valuable things in it and I got to love the characters. But I don't think it will become one of my favourites ever.

Roland would have understood.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I was depressed by it. And the movie. Of course, I read it in middle school so the effect it had on me then may not be the same if I read it now.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I really like that book.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice The Cosmic Geek is on a distinguished road

Vampire$. This was the book that the movie John Carpener made was based off of. Book had typos in it and lead to this massive final battle that was so anti-climatic I thought I didn't even read it.

But, I love vampires, so I read it anyway.

Traveler necromanticize is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Most of the books mentioned here that I was required to read for school (such as TKaM, Great Gatsby...) were books that I did not enjoy while reading them but appreciated having read them afterward. That includes Huck Finn as well as a few others. Speaking of school reads though... I LOVED Wuthering Heights...

The one thing I could not stomach though was Grapes of Wrath. That book couldn't hold my attention for more than a paragraph.

Jareth's Goblin Queen soylentjillian is on a distinguished road soylentjillian's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    If everything Jane Austin wrote were erased from this planet I wouldn't be upset at all. Quite possibly the most boring writer to EVER have lived.
    I agree, which is why you'll like this:
    http://www.chroniclebooks.com/index/...e-and-Zombies/
    Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Then, I call you Goblin Queen.

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

soylent?! holy shit i havent seen u since the old tdt.net days
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by soylentjillian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    If everything Jane Austin wrote were erased from this planet I wouldn't be upset at all. Quite possibly the most boring writer to EVER have lived.
    I agree, which is why you'll like this:
    http://www.chroniclebooks.com/index/...e-and-Zombies/
    that is so going on my reading list.

Gunslinger Apprentice Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I have a big problem with anything that calls itself "romance" and has absolutely no Romans in it.
    Any series based on an old book RPG makes me hurl.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14