Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sweet! i just found a Dark Tower reference in Doctor who

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Default -

-
    Last edited by razz; 07-18-2020 at 12:34 PM.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I used to love watching this show when
    I lived in England MANY years ago.
    Not sure you have a Tower reference
    or not there, but it sounds cool, who knows?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Who is/was your favorite Who?

I always liked Tom Baker myself.

How can you not love a show with special
    effects like this?

The answer is within

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post

I always liked Tom Baker myself.

[/IMG]
    Hell Yeah!

I believe we have every available episode at my house. I'd never seen the show before moving in with my current roommates, but they are a bit fanatical about it and have gotten me watching too.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    In Love

Isnt it a hoot? I'm not exactly sure who
    is pictured there under the doctors, some
    arch nemises I suppose. The clothes give
    the impresson of "evil"madman, why he
    even has a moustach & goatee' and
    that means badguy right? Hahaha!
    Brice..any thoughts on that?

The answer is within

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Isnt it a hoot? I'm not exactly sure who
    is pictured there under the doctors, some
    arch nemises I suppose. The clothes give
    the impresson of "evil"madman, why he
    even has a moustach & goatee' and
    that means badguy right? Hahaha!
    He is Definitely The Master.
    You Do ken The Master, right?

My Mood
    In Love

Let me guess, The Dark Overlord of the Multiverse?
    Honestly I do not remember all the charactures of
    the program, its been some decades, I loved his doggie
    and cant remember its name*goes to google*
    Care to fill me in?

The answer is within

My Mood
    In Love

This is his dog

And this is a daleck dahling!

The answer is within

My Mood
    In Love

What were these guys called?

The answer is within

My Mood
    In Love

K-9 :duh:

The answer is within

Gunslinger Apprentice boq is on a distinguished road boq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read somewhere recently that some elements of "The Five Doctors" were influenced by Browning's "Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came".

I was never big on Doctor Who but watched the occasional Eccleston episode. This changed when Tennant took on the role... he's got his interpretation of the character down to a t! I'm not sure how far "behind" you are in the States, but the newest series started across here just a couple of weeks ago. The previous series, with Martha Jones as the Doctor's assistant, had an absolutely brilliant story running through the episodes which built up to a very emotional climax in the last part. The writing was fabulous, with lots of action, humour and suspense... just what you're looking for in such a quirky program. Some nice little time-travel gimmicks too, like the Doctor borrowing a tie from himself. Watch out for the episode called "Blink!", and the running tale of the final three episodes... great stuff!

Yep - I've definitely been converted into a Who fan.

Oh, and that guy's a cyberman alinda.

Oh man, am I getting geeky?

K-9.
    Dalek.
    Cybermen.

My Mood
    In Love

Thank you very much

The answer is within

Gunslinger Apprentice nyy3723a is on a distinguished road nyy3723a's Avatar

My fave doc is Tennent followed closley by Peter Davison. I loved this show back in the 80s and couldn't be happier now that its back. I just wish one of the 300 cable stations would pick up the classic series. I would love to see some of the classic Pertwee or Troughton episodes.

don't you like the oddity of Tennant. did you know he was in the fourth harry potter movie? i didn't know that.

Traveler Greasemark is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

The Arch Nemesis pictured above - under the doctors, is a Human/Dalek Cross who started out as Mr Diagoras in the episode entitled - Daleks in Manhattan. New York 1930.

Also, for your perusal:

Baltazar, Margaret Blaine are bad guys in previous episodes. See if you can identify them.

My Mood
    In Love

How, did you mean to post pictures for us to identify?

The answer is within

The Master is the second last time lord. He is usually plotting to defeat the Doctor, or get revenge for something. he was driven insane by the time vortex. In finale of last season, he hid himself in the year 100 billion, using a fob watch, under the name Dr. Yana, an acronym of "You are not Alone", which is what the face of boe told the doctor. he then regenerated, and took over earth, before supposedly being killed.

on mayu nineth, the episode "Planet of the Ood" will air. how is that one? also, i hear that Rose, as well as the doctor's daughter will appear this season. rose supposedly airing another time after "Partners in crime"

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm enjoying New Who over all.

Trouble is, they aren't too good at the ol' plot resolutions. Particularly in the end of season episodes. Also the Doctor hero worship of the new show is rather irritating. There also tends to be plenty of plot holes, BUT if you view it as just light fun and don't analyze it too deeply, it does work.

Every episode of the latest series has been good though. There was some trepidation with Catherine Tate as the latest assistant, but she has actually turned out really good.

I wasn't all that into old Who, although to be fair I didn't see much of it. I caught a couple of Tom Baker episodes recently (City of Death, and The Pyramids of Mars) and they were both good.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Being raised by my grandparents i watched a lot of old doctor who episodes, and i have to say Tom Baker was my all time favourite.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

i think the first episode of the new season, "Partners in Crime" was pretty funny when she and the doctor first met up.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the recent 2 part Sontaran story too, although I thought Martha suddenly being in a commanding role in UNIT was a kinda silly. I buy that being a talented Doctor with a hight IQ, and and an awareness of aliens they'd employ her... but commanding troops? "GO GO GO!" Come off it.

It was great to see Freyma again though. I don't find her acting all that great, but she's a cutie and I like the Martha character (although her infatuation with the Doctor got a bit much.)

Looking forward to the latest episode this evening.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Guys, don't you think that one of you should open a new thread for Doctor Who? I see that you like talking about it (and it's great) but it makes this thread a bit off-topic.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry you're right.

Still there's only so much that can be said about the connection between the dark tower in that episode of Doctor Who and the books though, but point taken.

Anyhow, back on topic: I vaguely remember seeing that episode, and I remember thinking "hmm" when dark tower was mentioned. It didn't occur to me that there was really a connection though, any more than the Dark Tower is connected to Orthanc, or Baradur of Lord of the Rings.

Its interesting that bog mentioned it was influenced by the same poem though. I forget what role the tower took in that episode of Who, was it just a citadel for the bad guy? Did it have some relation to time and space (in which case definitely a link to The Dark Tower, even if not intentional.)

I liked the recent 2 part Sontaran story too, although I thought Martha suddenly being in a commanding role in UNIT was a kinda silly. I buy that being a talented Doctor with a hight IQ, and and an awareness of aliens they'd employ her... but commanding troops? "GO GO GO!" Come off it.
    Sontarans are those potato head shaped things right? that episode plays this Friday state-side. yeah...maybe we should have a D.W. thread. this is getting off topic. i make a thread in Dixie Pig

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast