Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 65 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Currently Reading: Comics

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Picked up Batman: Death in the family, Dark Knight Returns, and serious house on serious earth. Also grabbed issue 91 of Walking dead and have the 7 books and volume 15 ordered so I'll have all the walking dead comics finally.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished: Fables 1 deluxe HC. Reading: 100 Bullets deluxe HC. I liked both but nothing really grabbed me the way Preacher, Y: The Last Man, Transmet, Scalped and Northlanders did.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That reminds me, I need to get the next volume in the Preacher series. I left off on Vol. 4 , I think ....

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I have to admit, I'm sold on 100 Bullets. I thought they were going to be all unrelated stories but I like how they all somehow tied together. Too bad it'll be a while before the second hardcover is out.

Now onto Absolute Sandman 3.

Gunslinger Apprentice Old Man Splitfoot is on a distinguished road

Friday needs to hurry up and get here, so I can go pick up my weekly stack of comics. I get paid tomorrow, but won't have time to go pick them up till Friday, what with work getting in my way. Really enjoying the Uncanny X-Force, and I think the new issue came out today?

Other than that, I'm really impressed with a bunch of New 52 books. I've always liked DC, but never as much as I do now. Before, I'd buy maybe half a dozen DC comics a year, but now half my pull list is DC. Seems like the only non-DC books I'm reading at the moment are The Walking Dead, Invincible, and a bunch of X-Men books.

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Batman Death in the family was pretty cool. onto the next one I picked up.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

How is it that I am only just hearing that FX is doing a TV series of the amazing comic book series Powers by Brian Michael Bendis?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_%28FX_TV_series%29
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Splitfoot View Post
    Friday needs to hurry up and get here, so I can go pick up my weekly stack of comics. I get paid tomorrow, but won't have time to go pick them up till Friday, what with work getting in my way. Really enjoying the Uncanny X-Force, and I think the new issue came out today?

Other than that, I'm really impressed with a bunch of New 52 books. I've always liked DC, but never as much as I do now. Before, I'd buy maybe half a dozen DC comics a year, but now half my pull list is DC. Seems like the only non-DC books I'm reading at the moment are The Walking Dead, Invincible, and a bunch of X-Men books.
    I just started reading X-Men after a loooooooong time of not reading anything X-related. I figured that the best place to start was with the new 'Schism' arc that just started. Pretty good so far.

Have you started reading the new Magneto : Not A Hero mini series ? The first issue was fairly solid. Magneto essentially telling Captain America and Iron Man to shove it where the sun don't shine is classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
    It better be The Dark Knight Returns !

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    How is it that I am only just hearing that FX is doing a TV series of the amazing comic book series Powers by Brian Michael Bendis?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_%28FX_TV_series%29
    I haven't read this series yet, but my interest is piqued ...

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Oh snap, I keep forgetting about that one! Another to add to the list of "What to read after The Walking Dead..."
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Oh snap, I keep forgetting about that one! Another to add to the list of "What to read after The Walking Dead..."
    -_-

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

In my defense, I do know that great British comics exist as well as great American ones, so that's doubled the amount of must-read comics I have to read. Like Charley's War, for example. And you know my thoughts on Judge Dredd: America (and you'll understand why when you read it), so I won't go into that.

- Melike

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I've read a decent amount of Judge Dredd(including in America), though it was some time ago and a number of my favorite American published comic authors are British/English guys(hell, most of them are: Warren Ellis(he could take up twelve spots on my list of favorite comic authors all by himself), Alan Moore, John Byrne(british born anyway), Paul Jenkins, etc etc ) and I have still read The Dark Knight Returns like twenty times.

That is one comic that there is no excuse at all to not have read. NO EXCUSES! You have had since 1986 to get around to it.

Honestly, I have talked quite a bit about how much I love Robert Kirkman on here(and he lives in the same town as I do so I especially like seeing him do so well), but you should put down The Walking Dead right now in order to read The Dark Knight Returns, then go back to it after you have finished.

That was a lot of nested parentheses.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, I know a lot of the best American comics are usually written by British writers, but truly great British comics are a rarer thing. Like Charley's War - a truly amazing comic about the first world war that could only have been done in Britain. Not just written by a British writer, but really targeted for the British audience, too. Really enjoying that a lot so far.

I'll check out TDKR when the hype dies down a bit!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, that reminds me ! I read this a few days ago and I think it's high-larious :

Fight ! Alan Moore vs Frank Miller over Occupy Wall Street movement.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm siding with Moore on this one. He is the British one, after all!

No, seriously, regarding TDKR: I'm just very, very wary about extremely hyped up comics ever since my dissapointment with V for Vendetta. I could just barely get past the first third of the book. Idk, maybe I'll get back to it soon, but I just couldn't get into it. It took me a long time to check out Watchmen as a result (which I'll admit, I did enjoy), but I do need to know: TDKR - is it better than VfV?

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't care about nationalities, I'm siding with Moore on this because Miller is a twat. If he were on the receiving end on what the banks are doing to a lot of these folks he'd be singing a completely different tune right now.

And that's kind of a hard question to answer ... putting my biased aside as much as I can, I'd have to say that yes : TDKR is the better graphic novel.

I'm siding with Alan Moore because of that sweet assed beard.

Oh, I know a lot of the best American comics are usually written by British writers, but truly great British comics are a rarer thing. Like Charley's War - a truly amazing comic about the first world war that could only have been done in Britain. Not just written by a British writer, but really targeted for the British audience, too. Really enjoying that a lot so far.

I'll check out TDKR when the hype dies down a bit!
    Also, for every Charley's War there's a Ex Machina.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just looked it up. It looks good, but I still like to take a break from the 'superhero' or even 'scifi/fantasy' genre every now and again, even with comics. It's nice that Charley's War kind of experimented with that by just focusing on the story of a boy soldier and focused on the horrors of war like no other comic - no, like very little I've seen of any genre, I must say - like Charley's War did.

- Melike

Just looked it up. It looks good, but I still like to take a break from the 'superhero' or even 'scifi/fantasy' genre every now and again, even with comics. It's nice that Charley's War kind of experimented with that by just focusing on the story of a boy soldier and focused on the horrors of war like no other comic - no, like very little I've seen of any genre, I must say - like Charley's War did.
    I just meant that for every truly amazing comic [sic] that could only have been done in Britain. Not just written by a British writer, but really targeted for the British audience, too there is a truly amazing comic that could only have been done in America. Not just written by an American writer, but really targeted for the American audience, too, so it sort of unbalances your "doubled the amount of must-read comics I have to read" argument.

Also, in regards to Ex Machina, the superhero/ sci-fi aspects of it are sort of secondary to the work in a way that zombies are secondary to The Walking Dead.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yes, but it's still set in that genre. With Charley's War, it's truly different because it's seperate from that genre completely, along with other fantasy or supernatural elements. I'm not saying I hate those kind of comics, I'm just saying that it's nice to read something that actually does something that's truly different for the medium. Let's be honest, these days, the 'darker, more realistic' look at superheros has become just as much of a cliche as the saviours of humanity in underpants and tights are. Charley's War is something is just a nice break from all of those kind of comics. Not a complete break entirely, at least in this country - war comics were pretty popular in this country, for some reason - but even then, it stopped having macho heroes saving the day and instead had good people get killed. I'm enjoying it bit by bit so I can savour it - they only release one hardback every year on Remembrance Day, and I don't think they've released half the series yet. So I'm just gonna read a bit at a time and enjoy it.

- Melike

Here's some sad comic news I just saw:
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/08/showbi...bit/index.html

Gunslinger Apprentice Old Man Splitfoot is on a distinguished road

Actually, I didn't pick up Magneto: Not a Hero last time I was at the shop, but I'm making my weekly trip tomorrow, so I might snag it then. I spend way too much money on comic books, but one more book isn't gonna kill me.

I read the thing about Moore ripping into Miller about the OWS stuff, and I honestly think I missed something. Mostly Miller's part in it, other than Moore talking about him. While I completely agree with Alan Moore (other than his opinions on Sin City; fuck you Alan, I liked Sin City), there's no quotes from Miller being a twat. I kinda wanted a reason to dislike Miller for siding with (in my opinion) the wrong side of OWS. I mean, I'm sure it's out there on the internet somewhere, I'm just too lazy to find it.

Edit - Oh, shit, found it. On this site, even! Wow. Damn. Miller is a freaking tool.

While we're on the subject of Alan Moore, I'm honestly not that big of a fan of the guy. He comes across as a total snob, and Watchmen is just about the only thing he wrote that I enjoyed.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Splitfoot View Post
    While we're on the subject of Alan Moore, I'm honestly not that big of a fan of the guy. He comes across as a total snob, and Watchmen is just about the only thing he wrote that I enjoyed.
    In my opinion a lot of great comic writers do, or at least a total self-opinionated arsehole. Like Pat Mills, the writer of Charley's War, Savage, and a number of comic series I've enjoyed: his comic writing's great, but he does come across like he thinks he's the new messiah in interviews sometimes. As for Moore, Watchmen has been the only thing of his I've enjoyed, but then I've only read that and some of V for Vendetta so far, so I'm hoping more of his work matches his Watchmen standard.

As for what Miller said on the Occupy movement: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/...-frank-miller/

- Melike

I like Alan Moore on a personal level because of stuff like this:

On the comic level, other than V for Vendetta and Watchmen, other works of his that I really enjoy are:

Batman: The Killing Joke
    From Hell
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen(when ignoring the horrible movie)
    his work on Swamp Thing
    Top 10
    Neonomicon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 65 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast