Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1621

Thread: What Are You Currently Reading: Comics

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

What I have read of Locke & Key was excellent.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

FUCK YES!!!

Outside of Judge Dredd, this was one of my favourite comic series. I say "was", as it recently finished in 2000AD. You can't imagine how sad I was when that happened. I had only been reading it for 6 out of the 15 years it's been in the strip, but in that time I had really loved the characters, the depth, the epicness, and, most importantly, the fun! Seriously: a Russian rogue in a scifi retro/future setting who survives by his wits, his womanising and his blades that grow out of his arms? What the hell's more fun than that?

Reading from the very beginning for the first time, I'm loving it even more. There's a lot of things being set up that seem small but build up into much greater threats over time, and of course, it's interesting seeing some important relationships in the early beginnings. Best of all is Nikolai. In the strips I read, it was clear that, while he was still a fun loving bastard, he had been through a lot. It's nice to see him at a more innocent fun-loving time.

It's weird to think that something this fun came from 2000AD, the same comic that made Judge Dredd!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I have been reading the third volume of New Mutants that was started back up in 2009 with most of the original lineup, with Cannonball as the team leader again. I LOVED The New Mutants when I was a kid, even through the horrible Rob Liefeld art years. Of course, I was a kid at the time and only now hate Liefeld's art in retrospect. I'm quite liking this run as well, especially since it brought back a number of old characters like Cypher and Warlock.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Outside of Judge Dredd, this was one of my favourite comic series. I say "was", as it recently finished in 2000AD. You can't imagine how sad I was when that happened. I had only been reading it for 6 out of the 15 years it's been in the strip, but in that time I had really loved the characters, the depth, the epicness, and, most importantly, the fun! Seriously: a Russian rogue in a scifi retro/future setting who survives by his wits, his womanising and his blades that grow out of his arms? What the hell's more fun than that?
    Yeah, I like Nicholai Dante. I've got the UK equivalent of that collection, The Romanov Dynasty (I think the American name is better) and the second volume The great Game, and I read the latter stories through the comic. There's a big gap I haven't yet caught up on - a shame as The Courtship of Jena Makarov is out of print. I'm hoping that now the saga has ended, there will be more reprints.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

How is everyone liking the Animal Man & Swamp Thing crossover? Lemire and Snyder are actually plotting both books together now and it's nealy impossible to read one without the other.

The new issue of DT is as bad as this entire arc. Oh well. Cover art is beautiful and if I take it off my monthly list, my discount will decrease to 15% so it's worth keeping it just for that. I know there are no news about a new arc, but I'm still rooting for it. I'm masochistic (because this is really brutal) but also hopeful, because DT are my favourite books ever.

New Batwoman actually made sense. Last few issues were a little confusing but this one sort of recapped everything and also there was a bit of a crossover with Wonder Woman.

On the graphic novel front, I just finished Lost Dogs by Jeff Lemire. It's a re-print of his first (self)published work and it's very raw and rough but his style is there in its early but recognizible form. I'll read Hellboy Library 4 next and then start chipping away at From Hell by Alan Moore.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    That's one book I've never read. I enjoyed the film though.
    It's different from the movie. I really, really liked it.

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Anybody here read Invincible? I've never read it but Comixology is having a big 3 day sale. Is the comic any good? I'm thinking of maybe getting it.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Finished volume 9 last night, now onto volume 10!

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I gave in and picked up the first volume of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. Really looking forward to starting it.

Also picked up :

Batman #12
    Batman & Robin # 12
    Batman Inc. # 1,2,3
    Daredevil # 17

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

This new series looks like it'll take characters from the 80's-early 90's cartoon and adapting them to fit a tone similar to the original comics by Eastman and Laird. I haven't read those; I did try tracking them down but the prices were a bit much.

Country
    Country Flag

I just received B.P.R.D. Plague of Frogs vol. 3 omnibus (it's a thick one) and Fables 5 hardcover. I have Hellboy Vol. 5 Library Edition and Alan Moore's From Hell. I'm not sure which one to start first.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
    Anybody here read Invincible? I've never read it but Comixology is having a big 3 day sale. Is the comic any good? I'm thinking of maybe getting it.
    I picked up the first two collections at the library and though it was pretty good.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
    I love Invincible. It has some very complex and interesting characters for a superhero book as well as some of the most bloody, detailed fights I have ever seen later in the issues.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

John F. Kennedy DTRAiN235 is on a distinguished road DTRAiN235's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I am always keeping up on my Walking Dead books.
    ALso enjoying the Before Watchmen series that has just started up

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I was going to start collecting the Before Watchmen arcs but I'm thinking I'll just hold out for the TPBs. Much less cumbersome.

Also - fucking love your Invisibles icon man! One of my all time favorite series. Grant Morrison is a fucking genius.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I was going to start collecting the Before Watchmen arcs but I'm thinking I'll just hold out for the TPBs. Much less cumbersome.

Also - fucking love your Invisibles icon man! One of my all time favorite series. Grant Morrison is a fucking genius.
    I feel like I should have waited on the Before Watchmen TPB....it's too late now...i am committed (so i will HAVE to get the TPB on top of the issues)

Glad to meet another opponent of the Outer Church! Grant Morrison's most recent take on Batman and Robin is also melt-your-brain fantastic! His Arkham Asylum book is a stand alone classic IMHO.

Who is your favorite Invisible?

Country
    Country Flag

I'll be picking up that Invisibles omnibus. 1500 pages!!! I just need $120 that I don't know what to do with.

I am still refusing to buy Before Watchmen.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Glad it's not just me. To me, without any kind of involvement of both Moore and Gibbons, it's little better than licensed fanfic. Someone told me that they bought the Rorschach stuff, regretted it almost immediately. They said to me one line Rorschach said: "Bitch to be you right now." Confirmed that I should just save my money for other stuff.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DTRAiN235 View Post
    Oh King Mob, definitely. He cemented himself as one of my favorite comic characters in Entropy in the UK when he

Spoiler:
    mind battles the Outer Church envoy (forgot his name, Sir something?) while he's being held captive. That was amazingly in both conception and execution.

Also, did you notice how big an inspiration that scene was for the Matrix scene where Morpheus is being held captive?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Glad it's not just me. To me, without any kind of involvement of both Moore and Gibbons, it's little better than licensed fanfic. Someone told me that they bought the Rorschach stuff, regretted it almost immediately. They said to me one line Rorschach said: "Bitch to be you right now." Confirmed that I should just save my money for other stuff.

IDK...it doesnt even hold a flicker of a candle to Watchmen. It's just good fun. I try not to get too serious about my comics. It isn't excactly just licensed fanfic. It actually goes in deeper to some of the back stories mentioned in the original novel. Sure, there has to be a certain amount of "filling in the gaps."

And Moore doesnt support any of his work being filmed, etc.

I think the guy is a loon!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Oh King Mob, definitely. He cemented himself as one of my favorite comic characters in Entropy in the UK when he

Spoiler:
    mind battles the Outer Church envoy (forgot his name, Sir something?) while he's being held captive. That was amazingly in both conception and execution.

Also, did you notice how big an inspiration that scene was for the Matrix scene where Morpheus is being held captive?

Spoiler:
    The influence on Matrix is obvious! (but awesome)

Spoiler:
    Wasn't the guy's name Sir Miles?

My favorite is Ragged Robin especially when she:

Spoiler:
    Realizes that Mr. Quimper is in her head, but tricks him into thinking Lord Fanny was her. It made him vulnerable to take him out.

She's a crazy one she is!

The concepts of universal timetravel and her watching herself as a child from the cliff in New Mexico just completely melted my brain.

I actually just started up Say you want a Revolution? again to reread the series again for the 3rd time.

Country
    Country Flag

Moore does seem legitimately off his rocker... and I love him for it. I love his prose, his comics, books etc but he IS a hypocrite. He does receive sizeable royalties from Watchmen. He doesn't approve of Before Watchmen (I wouldn't either) but he did the same thing to Swamp Thing. He took someone else's creation and morphed it into what he though Swampy should be. Now Len Wein (the creator of Swamp Thing) apparently writes Before Watchmen. He also wrote Superman and Batman i.e. someone else's creations.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It isn't excactly just licensed fanfic. It actually goes in deeper to some of the back stories mentioned in the original novel. Sure, there has to be a certain amount of "filling in the gaps."
    See, that's my biggest problem. There's doing your own take on long-running established characters - as has been the case numerous times with Superman, Batman, Sherlock Holmes etc - and honestly, I'm ok with that stuff, as characters like those have almost limitless story potential, but the "filling in the gaps" on something as fully formed as the characters in Watchmen just doesn't interest me so much when it's not the creators, and sometimes, even they fuck it up. There will always be the temptation at least on the writers part to deviate from what was canon anyway. Now, I wouldn't be so skeptical, if it weren't for the Dark Tower comics. At first, they were pretty good, but as they went on, they got more and more hit and miss, until I eventually lost interest altogether. In fact, for me, prequel stories don't often work. Look at the Star Wars prequels (although I will admit, I really enjoyed Revenge of the Sith). Like I said, I'd probably give it a shot, if they were great comics. As it is, using the names and characters of one of the greatest graphic novels ever written isn't enough for me to buy 'em atm.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I know that the BW comics will never, ever, ever ever, match up to the original, but I've already segregated the two in my mind a long time ago. I'll go into BW looking to enjoy it on it's own terms.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast