+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Currently Reading: Comics

Hybrid View

Gunslinger Apprentice David is on a distinguished road David's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default WE3 : This one blew me away!

Recent aquisition is the trade paperback of the WE3 miniseries.

It is incredibly well illustrated, action-packed and touching.

The story is about three housepets (a dog, a cat and a rabbit) that have been turned into cyborg war machines. When the goverrnment program plans to 'decommision' them, they make a run for it.

Most of the dialog is by the animals themselves as they have been enhanced to be able to speak.

Eventhough this title is a bit violent, the theme of the story is much more than that. It's about three housepets who are simply trying to get 'home'.

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

WE3 was pretty sweet. I'll read anything Morrison writes, because he's better than most of the writers out there.

Incidently, it's been stated, though not officially confirmed, that the WE3 crew were meant as a precursor to Wolverine in Weapon X. Though WE3 is not a Marvel book, the Weapon Plus program stated that animals were used as test subjects at one point. Both stories were written by Grant Morrison.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default What Are You Currently Reading: Comics

I figure between the popularity of the original WAYCR thread and the amount of comic fans we would be able to support a WAYCR: Comics post. This will also give us some recommendations on good material. So I'll start us off...

Im in the middle of Warren Ellis' gritty cop drama, Fell, from Image comics. The stories are ones that only a mind like Ellis can come up with and Ben Templesmith unique stylized artistic style just adds to the dirty feeling of this great comic. It's a good pickup if you want something other than super heroes for a change.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Good idea

I'm currently reading Marvel's Secret Invasion, the DT comics, and I recently started collecting Cable.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Who's writing Cable these days? He still toting that baby around from Messiah X?

See us both in the black

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh man, I couldn't tell ya - it came free with my purchase of Secret Invasion Truth be told , I've never been particularly big on the X-Men, with the exception of Wolverine.

I'll look at the artist(s) when i get home and post them here.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Such a great yet simple thread idea, I'm amazed no one thought of it before!

Currently reading:

Sandman, Vol. 7? (I forget which volume I'm on)

The Long Road Home

Locke and Key, issues #2 and #3
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Erin - I think you would like this one as a fan of post apocalyptic story lines. I just finished The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman:

From the Introduction - Good Zombie movies show us how messed up we are, they make us question our station in society and our society's station in the world.

Good read in BW so it's a cheap purchase, especially as graphic novels go.

See us both in the black

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I have been collecting and reading some Conan graphic novels that are coming out. Very good stuff that I can get at Borders

Also, through the grace of friends, the Long Road Home.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Sam and Max!!!!!!!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I've been re-reading old Fables issue and catching up on issues that i missed before, plus keeping up with The Walking Dead. Prior to that it was Planetary and The Authority.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

Chris - you read Robert Kirkmans (Walking Dead) other creation, Battle Pope?

'If Im not teaching Mass, I'm out kickin ass.'

See us both in the black

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skolpadda View Post
    Chris - you read Robert Kirkmans (Walking Dead) other creation, Battle Pope?

'If Im not teaching Mass, I'm out kickin ass.'
    I've read a couple issues of Battle Pope, but it was a long time ago, before The Walking Dead. I don't even remember much about them. Kirkman is from near where I live and a friend had shown me some Battle Pope issues years ago.

I'd like to read some of Invincible as well, but have never gotten around to it.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The covers for those Pope comics are fucking awesome!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Great topic!

Lets see - I am reading the DT comics and collecting them as well. Also, I read Daredevil. I particularily enjoy the Frank Miller DDs, back from like 20 years ago. I re-read those a lot.

I also tend to re-read some X-Men. Extinction Agenda is completely AWESOME and the whole Dark Phoenix arc is great.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Love everything mentioned turtlex--I remember when those Miller DD's were hitting the rack, they are amazing.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Walking Dead - Every issue, my heart gets broken, and I only want more.

The Boys - Dark and tasteless.

Umbrella Academy - Once I got over the shock of loving a book written by the
    guy from My Chemical Romance, I enjoyed it even more.

Wolverine : Origins - It's made Logan relevant again in my eyes.

X-Factor - Peter David is my hero.

Runaways - Even though it's a monthly that only seems to come out once a year.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Walking Dead - Every issue, my heart gets broken, and I only want more.

The Boys - Dark and tasteless.

Umbrella Academy - Once I got over the shock of loving a book written by the
    guy from My Chemical Romance, I enjoyed it even more.

Wolverine : Origins - It's made Logan relevant again in my eyes.

X-Factor - Peter David is my hero.

Runaways - Even though it's a monthly that only seems to come out once a year.

The Boys is tasteless... Garth Ennis is my hero.

See us both in the black

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just got the hard back edition of The Gunslinger Born which is fantastic. So looking forward to next batch of DT comics.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've got all the Gunslinger Born comics, minus the trade paperback. I'm kinda tempted, but it feels a bit of a waste since I've got the entire thing in issue form... and more material besides with the back stories. I plan on getting a slipcase folder of some kind, that way I get the best of both worlds.

I'm currently getting The Long Road Home (not too long to the next issue now!)

I also subscribe to 2000 AD. In case you haven't heard of it, it's a British science fiction anthology mag. As an anthology there are pros and cons.

Pros, there are plenty of material and variety. And if you dislike some there are plenty of others to like.

Cons: each episode is only 5-6 pages in length as the rest of the space is filled with other strips. Sometimes one would rather get their teeth into one character and story. Many are collected into trade paperbacks later though so it's possible to get the best of both worlds. Again I feel disinclined to go for those if I've already got the story in the mags. Unfortunately the folder route doesn't work as it would for the Gunslinger comics due to the anthology nature. (Could do that with scan and print myself of course but that feels like a waste of paper. )

It comes weekly, so it's a nice thing to dip into regularly though.

Gunslinger Apprentice Old Man Splitfoot is on a distinguished road

Been reading X-Men and pretty much all the spinoff books for most of my life, though I haven't been seriously collecting them till about four years ago, give or take. Now I'm really liking Ed Brubaker's Captain America run, which is surprising, considering I never much cared for Cap, until he died. Haven't made it out to the comic shop in a while, though.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally started Sandman, read the first two volumes, and loved the hell out of 'em.

Y:the Last Man- I've read the first 5 trades, haven't picked up any individual issues, and it's too late now.

I love Astonishing X-Men. Need to get the Giant-Sized issue.

Runaways. Can't wait to pick up the latest trade with Joss Whedon's run.

The Invisibles has become possibly my favorite comic ever. Combine the best parts of The Matrix (which ripped of The Invisibles so bad), mysticism and counterculture. It adds up to love.

All Star Superman is amazing.

I've been looking for the first volume of New X-Men, but everywhere I go they don't have it. It's very depressing.

I am reading Batman Adventures currently. It is nice comics and so interesting.

Stream Movies Online
    Watch Full Movies Online

Traveler SirJohn is on a distinguished road SirJohn's Avatar

I finally picked up the hardcover Marvel comic 'The Battle of Tull'. Looking pretty damned cool so far. That whole series I have really been impressed with.

-SJ

Traveler SirJohn is on a distinguished road SirJohn's Avatar

... are there any others planned?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast