Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Terminator (Discussion for all films in the series)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I haven't seen the new terminator but I'm rather weary of it since nothing screams sellout to me more than a pg13 film in a series that has otherwise been all R rated
    Yeah, it doesn't have the independent studio feel of T-2. I'm glad James Cameron was never in the big leagues.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post

I would not have gone to the trouble of bumping it and sending you a profile message if that's all you were going to say. geez.
    LOL. THANK YOU!!!!

it was late and we were drinking after words for 5 or 6 hours, then playing wii in my buddies garage. My mind was shut off. but thanks for the bump!

Spoiler:
    I actually think it was good! I mean other than Christian Bale looked older than he should, in my opinion. The only thing I kind of have a problem with is the time frame. When the one guy donated his body at the beginning it was 2005 correct? And the movie is 2018 (right?) Well, this isn't a actual time frame thing, but when he stumbled on Reese and that girl, did that city suffer a nuclear explosion like we always saw in the other movies? If so, what is the half-life of the radiation from one of those babies? Also, I think this movie would have been perfect as T3. Because John keeps listening to the tapes his mom left him, which is really cool because it really leads off the first movie, but it confused me when he was reviewing the tapes looking for an answer to the "new" terminator with a heart and half a brain, because don't they figure out in T3 that they can't stop the war, and basically Skynet improves itself after every attempt? Then why would he be perplexed about the info not being on the tapes. I mean he was alive for the other 2 attempts on his life.
    And I know they need John as their inspiration, but fuck, keep the human terminator for doing some real damage!
    Spoiler:
    The opening montage takes place in 2003 actually, though I don't think that makes much difference. Marcus Wright was unexpected because he wasn't originally a product of Skynet. Its difficult to make sense of, but in the fragmented snippets we see of Marcus' back story, it seems that he was cryogenically frozen and his body was donated to the military for advance weapon experimentation. Once Skynet became self aware, they simply advanced the study and re programmed him to lead John Conner back to them. I'm thinking the robots decided to do it this way because their previous attempts with the t-800 and t-1000 failed. Remember, "you were able to do for us what we have failed to do over and over...kill John Connor." Marcus denouncement of his dualistic robotic nature was unanticipated and Skynet is once again foiled by the human spirit.

I don't know what to say about Marcus sacrificing his heart. I already complained about it in my previous post which seems to be invisible since no one has responded. Within the internal logic of the movie, Marcus is definitely presented as more of an asset. I'm hoping the next movie will go into more back story on the Resistance and convey to the audience why John Connor is important.

There's a paradoxical tension with the time travel motifs of the franchise because it seems to support and challenge alternate realities simultaneously. Wright must be part of an alternate reality because John would have remembered him somehow as well as Kyle. Judgment day happened inevitably as chronicled in T-3 but it was different than originally forecast. I can only assume that Wright is a product of the new reality while Skynet's appropriation of him is somehow based on the failures of the original time line.
    Ya ya I understand all that...but
    Spoiler:
    What I was really getting at shouldn't the city where Markus found Reese be still radioactive?

Also, I'm going on wing here with time travel, but there isn't just one theory on time travel. I think in the Terminator story, there isn't alternate time lines, the events which happen in the past shape the future. So, if someone goes back in time and changes something, then the future changes rather than a new time line. And that's what I was getting at with T3, I thought they figured out they couldn't stop the war because Skynet was always learning or evolving. Because the "good" Terminator in T3 didn't come back to stop the "bad" Terminator, it came back to make sure John was in a safe place when the bombs went off. Skynet being a computer, will have the knowledge in the future of it's failed attempts, especially since in T2, it all starts with the Terminator hand from T1. So John not knowing about Marcus isn't a huge deal, in my opinion. It's something Skynet came up with as another plan to destroy John. But in that sense, I don't know why John was confused why the info was not on the tapes.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

ya ya whatever. This has turned out to be some of the lamest banter about a movie ever. I'm done.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I would not have gone to the trouble of bumping it and sending you a profile message if that's all you were going to say. geez.
    LOL. THANK YOU!!!!

it was late and we were drinking after words for 5 or 6 hours, then playing wii in my buddies garage. My mind was shut off. but thanks for the bump!

Spoiler:
    I actually think it was good! I mean other than Christian Bale looked older than he should, in my opinion. The only thing I kind of have a problem with is the time frame. When the one guy donated his body at the beginning it was 2005 correct? And the movie is 2018 (right?) Well, this isn't a actual time frame thing, but when he stumbled on Reese and that girl, did that city suffer a nuclear explosion like we always saw in the other movies? If so, what is the half-life of the radiation from one of those babies? Also, I think this movie would have been perfect as T3. Because John keeps listening to the tapes his mom left him, which is really cool because it really leads off the first movie, but it confused me when he was reviewing the tapes looking for an answer to the "new" terminator with a heart and half a brain, because don't they figure out in T3 that they can't stop the war, and basically Skynet improves itself after every attempt? Then why would he be perplexed about the info not being on the tapes. I mean he was alive for the other 2 attempts on his life.
    And I know they need John as their inspiration, but fuck, keep the human terminator for doing some real damage!
    Spoiler:
    The opening montage takes place in 2003 actually, though I don't think that makes much difference. Marcus Wright was unexpected because he wasn't originally a product of Skynet. Its difficult to make sense of, but in the fragmented snippets we see of Marcus' back story, it seems that he was cryogenically frozen and his body was donated to the military for advance weapon experimentation. Once Skynet became self aware, they simply advanced the study and re programmed him to lead John Conner back to them. I'm thinking the robots decided to do it this way because their previous attempts with the t-800 and t-1000 failed. Remember, "you were able to do for us what we have failed to do over and over...kill John Connor." Marcus denouncement of his dualistic robotic nature was unanticipated and Skynet is once again foiled by the human spirit.

I don't know what to say about Marcus sacrificing his heart. I already complained about it in my previous post which seems to be invisible since no one has responded. Within the internal logic of the movie, Marcus is definitely presented as more of an asset. I'm hoping the next movie will go into more back story on the Resistance and convey to the audience why John Connor is important.

There's a paradoxical tension with the time travel motifs of the franchise because it seems to support and challenge alternate realities simultaneously. Wright must be part of an alternate reality because John would have remembered him somehow as well as Kyle. Judgment day happened inevitably as chronicled in T-3 but it was different than originally forecast. I can only assume that Wright is a product of the new reality while Skynet's appropriation of him is somehow based on the failures of the original time line.
    actually oj, I put in my 2 cents about the
    Spoiler:
    heart thing
    in my post...
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

ya ya whatever. This has turned out to be some of the lamest banter about a movie ever. I'm done.
    heh. things are only as lame as one makes them out to be.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I haven't seen the new terminator but I'm rather weary of it since nothing screams sellout to me more than a pg13 film in a series that has otherwise been all R rated
    i'm sorry, but i have to do this.

i'm pretty sure you meant wary, not weary.

that misuse is one of my biggest pet peeves.

weary: tire: exhaust or get tired through overuse or great strain or stress

wary: cautious; circumspect; watchful.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

No, its lame when the deliberation of two lengthy paragraphs is met with, "ya ya, I get that."

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

how come feevie hasn't bothered to comment on the movie?

does anyone agree/disagree with my comments?

My Mood
    Amused

No, its lame when the deliberation of two lengthy paragraphs is met with, "ya ya, I get that."
    Alright. But it's kind of hard to openly comment when spoilers are out there. But I also understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    how come feevie hasn't bothered to comment on the movie?

does anyone agree/disagree with my comments?
    I know what you mean, I thought he would be the first one of all to see it!

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

must remember to breath

terminator opens Thursday here and i have just booked to see it.

My Mood
    Amused

Gunslinger Apprentice Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

This could have been a great movie if they hadn't have gone for the populist PG-13 Rating and just continue with the R. They softened many of the otherwise horrid apocalyptic images just to sell happy meals and action figures.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

watche T3 in preperation last night. (just thought i would keep you all updated on my excitement levels

today is a level

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    watche T3 in preperation last night. (just thought i would keep you all updated on my excitement levels

today is a level
    As much as I like the other movies, you probably could have just watched the first movie again and been up to speed.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

today is a level
    As much as I like the other movies, you probably could have just watched the first movie again and been up to speed.
    so does it not carry on from the end of T3? nope dont tell me i dont want to know.................. go on then,,,, nope dont tell me

excitement level raised even more by Mordred,

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saw T4 on Saturday. Loved it. Haven't watched any of the terminators since I was a kid so on Sunday I watched 1,2, and 3!

haha I didn't have a very productive weekend.
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

sounds productive to me!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Movie Marathons Rock!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was good, I needed to remember everything going on...the chick one wasn't the best of them (3)... but I'm really into Terminator now! haha
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

T3 was awful except seeing that chick naked in the beginning. yum yum.

My Mood
    Amused

today is a level
    so does it not carry on from the end of T3? nope dont tell me i dont want to know.................. go on then,,,, nope dont tell me

excitement level raised even more by Mordred,
    haha...you'll find out what I mean. I think.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But the visuals were really well done. The terminators were downright terrifying. Especially the Harvester and the T 600's. The post apocalyptic LA was also freaky. I know the idea has almost become cliche in modern cinema, but this took it to another level for me. Every frame was monochrome, everything was on fire, and there was so much silence that every gun or human expression sounded unbelievable amplified. I loved the way that John Conner's M4 Carbine sounded...
    Saw T4 a few hours ago, and now I'm profoundly scared of T-600's and the Harvester. They did a great job with the visuals, I agree wholeheartedly. Pam, I would totally freak out if that Endoskull was in the same room as me, after seeing T4.

Ryan, I'm on the same side with you.
    Spoiler:
    Why, oh why Marcus gave his heart to John?? I wept - with sheer frustration. I kept thinking that Marcus Wright was a true gunslinger, and he was written away just like that. Not fair.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I caught this a couple of weekends ago with some friends. I felt it was a pretty good movie. I have yet to watch T3, and it has been a few years since I saw T2 and T1...but it seems like this could've been the finale. It felt like it was the finale...
    Spoiler:
    until that fucking monologue at the end. I mean, bringing back a Terminator and CG'ing Arnold over it seems more like something that would be reserved for the last movie since it'd be like bringing things full circle and whatnot

The Skynet facility was awesome. Nice and scary.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

wow

thats all i am saying for now. i am off to catch up on all the spoiler tags and then i shall be back (see what i did there)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    OK, my 2 cents on the movie...
    In general, I liked the movie... nowhere near as good as 1 or 2, but better than 3.
    The machines are pretty scary... the Harvester was just downright nasty.

They did a neat job of tying in little bits from John Connor's past... Guns 'n' Roses blasting, for one example.
    I liked how we know how he gets his scar.

I think they did a good job with Reese... he had a lot of Reese's facial expressions and the way he talked was close. I was worried about the Reese role.

Things I had a problem with...

I had a hard time not thinking that John Connor sounded like Batman...
    I still have yet to see Mr. Bale as a true lead actor. Between this movie and Batman, just doesn't feel like a lead actor for me.Also...

Spoiler:

A heart transplant on the field??? give me a frickin' break. They should have left that out... leave out the metal rod through Connor's chest and let Marcus redeem himself by fighting off the Terminator....

but, all in all, I enjoyed it... I really don't want these movies to just become war-type movies, however. This one was getting kind of close to that.
    i liked bale in this film, i thought he made a good john connor, but i am biased as i am a fan of his.
    I know exactly what you mean in regards to just turning into a fight film. apart from the wright story line, it all just seemed very 'boys own' type of film. i know they had to go there with this film as all the other films led to the whole war with the machines thing, but i am hopeful that if there is another film it will focus more on the human element of the resistanc

[quote=obscurejude;395940]

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

i think
    Spoiler:
    he had to donate his heart, could they ever really have trusted him? i know he pulled the chip out of his head but he would have been to much of a liability if/when skynet got hold of him again.

i totally agree with the back story being more important than this film made it and as mentioned above i hope that they go more into this in future films

i think i may well be in the minority here - but i actually prefered T3 to T2. i felt T2 was too .... 'silly' with the whole asta la vista blah blah blah, whereas T3 got back on track with a more grittier feel. i also think that T3 links nicely into T4 as
    Spoiler:
    you know who Johns wife is and how he met her. you also learn when and how the machines actually took over

i have a hangover at the moment, but wanted to get involved in the discussions, so i shall get my head in order and come back with more discussions

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast