+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Alfred Hitchcock Movie Discussion

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Been There...Done That!
    Spoiler:
    58 YEARS AGO.

1st North by Northwest Soundtrack LP 1980. ( VINYL IS COMMING BACK)

Still Intact

RARE 1st EDITION 1972 (HARDCOVER) NORTH BY NORTHWEST (The MGM Library of Film Scripts)

FYI...The above items are from The Collection of...
    Spoiler:
    " AN OLD FOOL!" or so I was told.

Japanese Program Booklet

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Saw this on TCM the other night.

Fun Trailer!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

TCM is doing a month of Hitchcock: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...i-in-July.html

Was just flipping channels and it's started tonight with The Ring.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just noticed that Hulu has 78/52. Watched it last night, and loved it. I wish they would make more films like this dissecting other prominent films or scenes. Definitely recommend it for any lover of this film, or any film lover in general.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

For those Hitchcock fans out there, amazon is having a lightning deal on a Hitchcock collection. I bought it for the 2019 Primeday. It has 15 movies, liked 13 of them, one didn't really care for and 1 got bored and didn't finish. Plus has 10 episodes of Alfred Hitchcock presents.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If I remember, will be nominating these for the future best of the decades movie tournaments
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    For those Hitchcock fans out there, amazon is having a lightning deal on a Hitchcock collection. It has 15 movies, liked 13 of them, one didn't really care for and 1 got bored and didn't finish.
    Which one didn't you finish? My guess....Topaz??
    (Which happens to be my least-favorite Hitchcock...)

sk

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    For those Hitchcock fans out there, amazon is having a lightning deal on a Hitchcock collection. It has 15 movies, liked 13 of them, one didn't really care for and 1 got bored and didn't finish.

sk
    You are correct sir! Thanks for confirming I don't need to give it another try.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post

sk
    You are correct sir! Thanks for confirming I don't need to give it another try.
    You should! You should!! Give it another try, I mean.
    After all, we're talking Hitchcock here - and everything Hitchcock is worth seeing at least once.
    Even though it is my least-favorite as well, the movie does have its defenders. IMDB's got it at a 6.2/10 rating. Could be worse, right?

sk

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

really while Topaz (1969) isn't among my favorites of his i do think it's a pretty good movie, it's so not his worse movie there are some of his early ones that are just plain fucking terrible such as Murder (1930) i don't really care for the Original The Man who knew to Much (1934) that one bores the hell out of me. The Ring (1927) is a decent one but not among my favorites the black comedy The Farmer's Wife (1928) is among my favorites actually. The Skin Game (!931) is also pretty bad too. Hitch is my favorite Director it's sad that nearly all his films from before he was a director are sadly lost, a couple of them were found in recent years so that's a start i guess

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to whomever revitalized this thread. Seems appropriate given we heading into the 60s in the film contest. Working ones way through the Hitchcock cannon if film is like a crash course in filmmaking. My recent watches were Rope and Lifeboat. Two greats for sure. The former for it's slicing together of film to create the illusion of a one-take real-time film, and the later for its single setting claustrophobic look at humanity. I look forward to perusing some previous posts.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I'm no Hitchcock aficionado, but in going through my entire DVD collection from A to Z I just recently re-watched FAMILY PLOT and enjoyed it very much. (also watched THE BIRDS back in the B's)
    I also just watched the new Blu-Ray of SILENT RUNNING and Dern mentions Hitchcock in the commentary.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The one movie I didn't like from the boxed set was Marnie, which is a shame since I love Connery.

Since watching these movies, have managed to catch "To Catch a Thief", and "Strangers on a Train". Still on the lookout for any movies on streaming sites I have access to.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

TCM just added a bunch of Hitchcock.

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Marnie (1964) i think is a pretty good one not among my favorites either though did anyone ever read the Evan Hunter book that he wrote about his time with Hitch? he started out writing some of Presents for him and than he wrote The Birds (1963) for him enjoyed his time with him than he started work on Marnie (1964) and than refused to write the scene to have Connery Rape his wife it's been a long time since i've seen the film to be fair so i don't really remember it.

there's also 2 different versions of Strangers on a train (1951) both of them have different scenes in them i do wonder how long and how the film would be if they did splice them all together? the UK and the US both end differently actually and on the Original dvd i dunno about any of the other releases they have it marked on the case so it tells you what scenes were added. honestly i think the US version is Superior in every way

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    All the Hitchcocks I've seen (45) Ranked

Psycho
    Notorious
    Vertigo
    Rope
    Rear Window
    Strangers on a Train
    Shadow of a Doubt
    North by Northwest
    Frenzy
    The Birds
    The Lady Vanishes
    The 39 Steps
    Spellbound
    Rebecca
    Foreign Correspondent
    Marnie
    Lifeboat
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (remake)
    Stage Fright
    To Catch a Thief
    The Trouble with Harry
    Sabotage
    Torn Curtain
    Murder!
    Dial M for Murder
    The Wrong Man
    Family Plot
    Secret Agent
    The Man who Knew Too Much (Original)
    Saboteur
    Suspicion
    Topaz
    The Paradine Case
    I Confess
    The Lodger
    Rich and Strange
    Blackmail
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    Number 17
    Jamaica Inn
    Easy Virtue
    The Ring
    The Skin Game
    The Farmer's Wife
    The Manxman
    Champagne

Admittedly, a lot of the final silent films here at the bottom I've only seen once or twice and may deserve higher placing and I did not rank the shorts but I feel comfortable with the list so far...
    This has definitely changed over the years.....

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Curious what it is now. Have the top few changed around? I should try to put together my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Curious what it is now. Have the top few changed around? I should try to put together my list.
    Definitely, the top ten has changed, I'm going to think and do my top 25 and go from there. There's some I need a rewatch but I definitely put Vertigo at the top spot now.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe I have seen about 18.5 now (not sure if I saw both versions of The man who knew too much). I have also seen two remakes of The Lady vanishes, and a remake of Rebecca, but not the Hitchcock versions.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rebecca is my all-time favorite Hitchcock movie. Highly recommend it.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Vertigo is my all-time favorite Hitchcock movie. I love the music in it!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast