Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Alfred Hitchcock Movie Discussion

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I love James Stewart. He was excellent in all the roles Hitchcock cast him in.
    Finally got to see Shadow of a Doubt which was excellent. I really enjoyed it.

I was also wondering if anyone has seen Jamaica Inn. I just recently found out that Hitchcock made a movie based on this book. How does it compare to Rebecca?
    I own it and have seen it, but it has been quite a long time. I really don't remember it so well.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Watched Lifeboat this morning, what a great film. I'm really surprised there's not more talk about this one. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of it till just recently.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Watched Lifeboat this morning, what a great film. I'm really surprised there's not more talk about this one. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of it till just recently.
    I absolutely love Lifeboat

yesterday I was painfully reminded of it - while playing poker with Brice and agrabin... I had that wonderful, unbelievable hand, and I was raising... raising... and at the very damn moment my server had a fit, and I was off!

And Jean, I watched Trouble With Harry the other day. I thought it was alright, but I have to say I'm not a huge fan of his comedies. I remember seeing another one ages ago, I can't remember the name of it but I think it was the last film he made, something about psychics. It was another comedy, and I just couldn't get into it. I definately prefer his suspense and drama films a bit more.
    I never thought of it as a comedy... just a movie... the same with The Rear Window, or The Lady Vanishes, - they are all very warm, and they have a lot of everything, just like a real movie should, in the bear's opinion; with their optimism and that multi-dimensional quality a movie will never have unless there is humor there... and they tell human stories which I personally find immensely touching... not at all like the deadly serious, solemn Hitchcock of Vertigo or Rope or The Birds, which, frankly, always feel to me bordering on self-parody, just because of their stubborn one-dimentionality.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Hitchcock? Ok...North By Northwest was alright but lets be honest. Carey Grant? How about Carey Pompous Ass. Listening to this blowhard talk for two hours feels like an extended lecture from your dad.

And Psycho? Wtf is up with that ghey shower scene? And enough already with the music! What is this? A fucking Star Trek episode?!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Happy Birthday, Alfred Hitchcock and Mr. Woofer!

My fave Hitch movies are Psycho, Rope, Rear Window, The Birds, and North by Northwest.

BTW, Cary Grant = teh hawt . Srsly, he is...er was... a very handsome man.

"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops."
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just found out that Spellbound got re-released recently (along with some others such as Rebecca and Notorious)! Now maybe I can finally get ahold of it to watch.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I really liked Rachel!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bumping this thread for Melike

Melikey, which Hitchcock films have you already seen? I hear it's only a couple; you got to hurry up before the contest is over. Hitchcock is one of my three favorite directors, and as, unlike the other two, he has a good chance of winning, I wouldn't like him to lose this chance... especially not to Spielberg, Lukas, or Tarantino...

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I have seen Number Seventeen, Waltzes From Vienna, The 39 Steps, Spellbound, Vertigo and Psycho.
    Believe me, Spielberg and Lukas have no chance to get even a single vote from me.
    I love Tarantino but he better not appear to be in a poll Hitchcock exists.

Country
    Country Flag

good! still, here's some more Hitchcock I want you to watch - I love to share with you what I love!

Rear Window
    The Lady Vanishes
    Rebecca
    Trouble with Harry
    Strangers on a Train
    Suspicion
    Lifeboat

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    good! still, here's some more Hitchcock I want you to watch - I love to share with you what I love!

Rear Window
    The Lady Vanishes
    Rebecca
    Trouble with Harry
    Strangers on a Train
    Suspicion
    Lifeboat
    Cool, I am glad that I have all of them.

Country
    Country Flag

Jean I love you for bumping this thread

Rebecca and Rear Window are two of my all-time favorite films. I'd also add onto your list Shadow of a Doubt, and The Lodger (I think we discussed this last one previously Melike, but you weren't able to find a copy?)

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's impossible to pick a favourite - too many favourites.
    Some that haven't been mentioned yet: Dial M For Murder and Frenzy.
    Love those two.

sk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't think of a single Hitchcock movie I didn't love. I've seen most if not all.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I want to double up on suggesting Lifeboat. It's really a great directing job. Basically, the entire movie takes place in a small, cramped lifeboat. There aren't many directors who could take that enviroment, and make it the kind of movie that Lifeboat is. Hitch truly reigns in his star actors, and lets everyone shine in doing so.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I can't think of a single Hitchcock movie I didn't love. I've seen most if not all.
    Well, Torn Curtain and Coral were too preposterous even for a bear to swallow... And, unlike frik, I didn't really enjoy Frenzy... loved everything else, though

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Still, but bad Hitchcock is better than most other's attempts at good films.

You've actually managed to name one I missed....Coral?

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Topaz, not Coral. Sorry. I was thinking precious stones.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, I believe I saw that many years ago. I remember little if anything of it though.

If you rescue me

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Topaz is practically the only Hitchcock movie I don't really care for.
    Dare I say it......boring....

sk

Country
    Country Flag

How about Torn Curtain?

Country
    Country Flag

Torn Curtain was Hitchock's 50th movie. At least, it was highly publicised that was and it was supposed to be An Event.
    (OK, a new Hitchcock was always an event....)
    To Me, Torn Curtain was a disappointment. Didn't really care for either Julie Andrews nor Paul Newman, and although the suspense was there in a few scenes, overall it didn't feel like vintage Hitchcock.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

I was kinda frustrated with the goofs; I know it's Hitchcock's trademark (my wife and me call it Cary Grant's pants: in a movie, he climbed someone's hotel room window wearing only a bathrobe, and later was seen fully clothed), and normally serves to make the movie more cinematographically (if not story-wise) perfect. However, in that case it was too much even for me, who is willing to accept Hitchcock with all his specifics. A foreigner in the Soviet Union would have never, ever be allowed to roam free - I am not saying "a suspicious foreigner", no, any foreigner. That pi stuff is overwhelmingly preposterous, and how can a ballet dancer turning fouettes on a brightly lit stage recognize someone who is sitting in the dark? Fouettes are hard enough without that... that look of sudden horrified recognition on her face, realization deepening with every spin, was way too much even for a bear to swallow... there are other things, too, but that's what I remember best (seen the movie about 8 years ago, and never re-watched it since).

I just watched Torn Curtain the other week. I think I had seen it years and years ago, although not positive since I didn't remember any of it. But I enjoyed. It's definitely far from his greatest, and you do make some good arguments Jean But it was still enjoyable to me. He's got a quality about his films that I absolutely love. I also rewatched The Trouble With Harry, and enjoyed it far more than I did the first time.

And lastly I also watched Saboteur. What a great film. This one also had a few confusing moments in it where Barry and Pat would randomly meet up again in a scene and they're just suddenly together again. How'd he find her? But I love the way in which it was shot. It's got some pretty memorable scenes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast