Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alfred Hitchcock Movie Discussion

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Default Alfred Hitchcock Movie Discussion

Here's a thread for us to discuss everything Hitchcock. This way I won't have to keep bombarding the other threads with stuff about his films.

So come on in and lets discuss his films. What ones did everyone enjoy?
    Last edited by Darkthoughts; 09-01-2008 at 01:44 PM.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

I absolutely love Rear Window. Jimmy Stewart is my hero, and Grace Kelly is so stunningly beautiful. Sigh.
    It has to be in black and white though, they've since colorized it, and I'm not as much of a fan.
    Sean Connery and Tippi Hedron have great chemistry (and sometimes lack there-of, uhhh...) in Marnie. And that movie's just sweet in general.
    And Vertigo. Duh.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i particularly like Vertigo and North by Northwest

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

"Rope" was amazing too!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

My personal favorites would be Rebecca and Rear Window. I think those are 2 of the best films ever made.

I also loved Strangers on a Train. That film was filled with so many visually stunning images. I absolutely loved the scene that pans over Bruno standing up at the top of the stairs, and he's just a shadow, but you know it's him. Creepy!!

Gunslinger Apprentice devo133 is on a distinguished road devo133's Avatar

Vertigo is seen by most critics as his best. It's my favorite too. The plot is just amazing. And the cinematography wow! The spiral staircase up the bell tower, the painting of the bell tower by Dali used as the set.

A tribute to Vertigo by one of my favorite bands Faith No More

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=IsXLugzVhCI&feature=related"]YouTube - Faith No More - Last Cup of Sorrow (1997)[/ame]

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

favorites:

Trouble with Harry
    The Lady Vanishes
    Spellbound
    Rear Window
    Rebecca
    Strangers on the Train

I also love Lifeboat, and 39 Steps, and Shadow of Doubt, and Saboteur, and a lot of his other stuff, but those six are the very favorite (even in the given order, I think).

He also has movies which I personally found ridiculous... Torn Curtain, for example, or Topaz...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

The best TV show intro music ever:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxJUhgubWYc"]YouTube - The Alfred Hitchcock Hour intro[/ame]

I can't believe this thread has this many replies without anyone mentioning Psycho or The Birds.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

right, they are classics... I personally don't really like them, at least not as much as the ones I've listed

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I can't believe this thread has this many replies without anyone mentioning Psycho or The Birds.
    I didn't like Psycho because the first time I saw it somebody had already ruined the ending for me. Same with The Sixth Sense (completely unrelated).
    And I used to be terrified of The Birds as a kid. Mayhap if I watched it again I'd like it a bit more...

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I didn't like Psycho because the first time I saw it somebody had already ruined the ending for me. Same with The Sixth Sense (completely unrelated).
    And I used to be terrified of The Birds as a kid. Mayhap if I watched it again I'd like it a bit more...

Yeah, The Birds was pretty scary to me when I was a kid as well. I think the strength of the movie is in the fact that it makes something so commonplace completely terrifying.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Good on ya Chris...I was just scrolling down thinking "No mention of The Birds?!!"
    The Birds was the first Hitchcock movie I ever saw, absolutely amazing, terrifying without excessive gore or special effects - simplicity always works better in horror imo

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Rear Window as Three's Company youtube parody...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiiZWUyCreI[/ame]

That's excellent, but somebody definitely had too much time on their hands...

I quite enjoyed The Birds and Psycho, and when you hear Hitchcock, those are the 2 films that most people would probably automatically think of, but I think he's got some better films, like the ones I previously mentioned.

And Jean, I watched Trouble With Harry the other day. I thought it was alright, but I have to say I'm not a huge fan of his comedies. I remember seeing another one ages ago, I can't remember the name of it but I think it was the last film he made, something about psychics. It was another comedy, and I just couldn't get into it. I definately prefer his suspense and drama films a bit more.

Next on my list to watch is Shadow of a Doubt, and I thought I had it on vhs somewhere but I was looking the other night and couldn't find it. Hopefully it'll turn up soon.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Did anybody ever watch "Alfred Hitcock Presents" on TV?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

North by Northwest was always good. Rear Window is creepy good.

Certain times of the year we get huge flocks of birds and when they settle down the trees and phone lines will be full of them. I always think of The Birds. My kids never understood why I felt all those birds were creepy. One day I need to rent it for them and then they will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Um, look at the video I posted up above.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I've watched every single episode and every movie. Hitchcock was fucking genius.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Yes, and ditto on the opinions already expressed
    that concern the absolute genius of Alfred Hitchcock.
    The man was a master at comonplace as terror!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Does anyone remember the episode... "The Jar"? I think it was called that.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gunslinger Apprentice bergy81 is on a distinguished road bergy81's Avatar

982 Michigan Ave. Detroit MI. Sound familiar?
    Country
    Country Flag

They are all great but Rope is my favorite, followed by Lifeboat
    Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have not seen all of his work but i loved jimmy stewart and cary grant so north by northwest and rear window are among my favorites

I love James Stewart. He was excellent in all the roles Hitchcock cast him in.
    Finally got to see Shadow of a Doubt which was excellent. I really enjoyed it.

I was also wondering if anyone has seen Jamaica Inn. I just recently found out that Hitchcock made a movie based on this book. How does it compare to Rebecca?

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

havent seen it guess i will add it to the list.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast