Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ever find your interest in reading waning?

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read at least 20 books each of the past two years...probably longer than that but I've only been keeping track since 2006. That said, I also go into spurts when I stop reading. If I am not diggin the book I am reading, I tend to put it down for days/weeks or even months at a time until I finally plow through it, or give up. Some books that I try to read just plain suck, so I quit and start a new one. When I fall into a slump, I pick up a King book and that will usually get me in the reading groove again. Also, I've always got an audiobook going these days on my iPod.
    When I was in college, pleasure reading really suffered for me, like Chris said. I've currently got about 70 books that I own but haven't read and that number always seems to stay the same because I keep buying more.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I'm an English Lit. major and sometimes I have to read so much stuff for classes that I find my pleasure reading suffering. By the time I find free time to do any pleasure reading, reading is the last thing that i want to do. My writing tends to suffer in much the same way.
    As an added bonus, when you do try to read something you usually end up mentally picking it apart. Makes it hard to read trashy novels.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I find that, ironically, whenever I have reader's block and I'm trying to get over it, I seem to pick books that I've struggled with before...as if its a good time to be attempting that sort of stuff
    The reason is probably that, when I'm on a mjor reading kick its like a high, I don't want to waste my time with the so-so stuff, I want to get straight to the good shit

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

No, I cant imagine my life w/o reading.
    I think if that ever happened, I would'
    seriouly consider going to see a DR.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Reading is habitual - if something changes in your routine or your priorities shift, the habit of reading can be sidelined. I used to read alot when I was single, as I did most of my reading in bed before sleep - this was of course replaced with rooting when Diem and I got together, and the reading habit went out the window. Perhaps you've started driving to work instead of catching public transport (also another great place to read), or maybe reading has been replaced by iPod on the train.

Anyway, the point isn't that you're not a reader anymore, its just you've fallen out of the habit. Reinstate the habit with a killer book and you'll be fine - and also make sure you have another one ready to go when you're nearing the end of whatever you're on. Or not, do something else, its not a problem if you take a hiatus from reading solidly for a few months.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I'm an English Lit. major and sometimes I have to read so much stuff for classes that I find my pleasure reading suffering. By the time I find free time to do any pleasure reading, reading is the last thing that i want to do. My writing tends to suffer in much the same way.
    As an added bonus, when you do try to read something you usually end up mentally picking it apart. Makes it hard to read trashy novels.
    For Lit in Yr 12 I had to read A Fringe Of Leaves by Patrick White which was almost unbearable.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Lately I've found my drive to read has disappeared but I go through phases. I can go months without reading anything then read four books in a month.

I've got Lisey's Story, Duma Key by King and the second Dexter book, No Country For Old Men and World War Z waiting for me.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Yes. But that's mostly because of rather mediocre books I've been reading...

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

My interest in reading does come and go but never goes away completely and if I leave reading for some time and get the urge to read again it comes back like a wild fire.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I do this all the time , then i go crazy and read non stop for weeks on end
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Reading has been an constant in my life for as long as I can remember. I was a lonely child and reading always represented so much more than just the story. It was my escape and its still that way today.

I'm not sure there has been a moment in the last 30 years that I wasn't reading something (or listening more recently).
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It seems that I'm finally shaking this curse off (for now at least) - I've had an insatiable appetite for novels these past couple of days.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

yea glad to hear it. When I at first saw you had a new
    post in this thread I was hoping to read these exact words!

The answer is within

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

When I was with my ex husband I lost track of a lot of things. I didn't read or write hardly at all. When we split, I went to work for a bookstore, and it probably saved me from worst depression than I was already feeling, because it's really difficult to not read when you are surrounded by books! I think I made up for 3 yrs of limited reading in the year I worked there.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't ever really lost interest in reading but sometimes life gets too busy for it. And I have to give myself a few days in between finishing one book and starting another.

Gotta have some time to finished chewing before taking another bite, can ya' dig?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Totally, I'm the same way. I always take a short break in between books.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    ;clap; yea glad to hear it. When I at first saw you had a new
    post in this thread I was hoping to read these exact words!
    Thanks love

THE SPELL IS BROKEN! I LIVE AGAIN!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

don't know how I overlooked it

::mutters to himself:: silly bear....

just to warn everyone that this thread is going to be moved to Dutch Hill shortly

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    In Love

------------------------------------> Exit stage left

The answer is within

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I believe we read more when we are unhappy. It is escapism.

Like the artist who is more creative after getting dumped, pain fuels the need to create.
    Reading less means ( to me ) life is going well and there is less of a need for an escape.

I started reading waaaaaayyy more last September when the economy started to go South and my business began to founder.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

My Mood
    In Love

OMG, I must be the most unhappy person ....I read all the time,

The answer is within

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    OMG, I must be the most unhappy person ....I read all the time,
    so do I, and it definitely does make me happy

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    In Love

The answer is within

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I can't seem to get into reading right now, and I hate it. I started The Stand almost a month ago. Under normal circumstances, I would have been done in a week (two at the most). Now, here I am, halfway through it and haven't 'gotten into' it for over a week. Each time I try to pick it up, my brain is too distracted, and I realize it has taken me fifteen minutes to get through two f'n pages.
    I hope this passes soon.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't remember a time when I didn't feel like reading. Even when I was serving in Vietnam, I always seemed to have a book handy. I don't read just books, though. I read two different papers a day and just about anything else I can. I actually read myself to sleep every night (I leave a light on so that, when I wake up in the middle of the night, I can read some more too!) Sick, huh?

John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast