Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DT Maps, Addresses, and Locations

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Okay, soapbox time...
    RF's death sucked and his character should have been even mroe developed than in The Stand because he had more time to develop RF's character even more...
    Oy's death sucked and seemed pointless.
    Mordred's character should have been involved more in the story
    Oh and I'm starting to like the ending but it really pissed me off when I first read it because I just thought it was a meanhearted thing to do to Roland..... but now I am seeing that maybe it couldn't be changed, because Ka is a wheel...
    *steps off box*
    Have a great day!
    Aw crap those probably all have their own thread anyways... except maybe the Mordred thing... well just ignore me then.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    No, not plausible at all. No "still" about it. We're just going to have to suck it up and deal with the fact that its just a big plot hole, however much we dislike to admit it.
    i have no prob admitting the plot hole, i didn't write it.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Yes you did.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Lord_Vertigo has a spectacular aura about Lord_Vertigo has a spectacular aura about

I honestly can't stand the first book. I'm discovering that on my second read-through. I had trouble with it the first time, too. Even the revised version is rough-going. I just couldn't care less about Roland's sexual escapades, I don't understand why he had to blow everyone in town, and I just don't like the overall "emo-writer on Lord-knows-what" tone of the book. Even though King was a lot older when he did the revision, it still sounds like a college kid's immature attempt at being dark and soulful. It drives me up the wall. I only read it, because it's so necessary for the rest of the series, which I happen to love.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would agree 100% if book one wasn't for me counterbalanced by R.Browning poem at the end. The latter is a finale, the former an epigraph (rather lengthy, I agree). I am talking only of the Original, of course, - in this light, by the way, there was no more sense in revision than it would be in pulling Browning text by the ears towards fitting the rest of the text.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I would agree 100% if book one wasn't for me counterbalanced by R.Browning poem at the end. The latter is a finale, the former an epigraph (rather lengthy, I agree). I am talking only of the Original, of course, - in this light, by the way, there was no more sense in revision than it would be in pulling Browning text by the ears towards fitting the rest of the text.
    So you finally got around to reading the revised?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

No, why? I didn't make any evaluative comment on its content, I only said I didn't see any sense in revision.

You said there was no more sense in revision...how can you accurately make that judgement if you haven't read the revision?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You said there was no more sense in revision...how can you accurately make that judgement if you haven't read the revision?

If you believe revision shouldn't have been made to begin with as general principle, than you can.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

I see what you're saying, you damn cozening Canadian. Part of me still feels that you can't make an accurate judgement on anything unless you've experienced it. Its kind of like a little kid saying they don't like peas when they've never eatin them before.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

They might not like how they look.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

the revision [which i have read] smacks of a musician going back into the studio to "remake" his/her previous hit with new technology. it may sound "fuller" than the older one, but something invariably gets lost in the transformation. i never minded the seeming inconsistencies in style from the first through the rest. in fact, i liked that it showed King growing as a writer. all the revisions just make it seem like he went back and forced some things into alignment with the rest of the story as it played out years later. they may make it more 'consistent' with the rest of the story, but i read the original for so many years and never had an issue with it.

Country
    Country Flag

I see what you're saying, you damn cozening Canadian. Part of me still feels that you can't make an accurate judgement on anything unless you've experienced it. Its kind of like a little kid saying they don't like peas when they've never eatin them before.
    No. There's a fine line easy to overlook. It is never advisable to pass judgement on anything someone hasn't no first-hand knowledge of, but I certainly have a perfect right to make a statement about the unnecessity of enhancing or altering something that suits me. Very much like a man who refuses to check if other women are better in bed than his wife if he is satisfied with her.

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    the revision [which i have read] smacks of a musician going back into the studio to "remake" his/her previous hit with new technology. it may sound "fuller" than the older one, but something invariably gets lost in the transformation. i never minded the seeming inconsistencies in style from the first through the rest. in fact, i liked that it showed King growing as a writer. all the revisions just make it seem like he went back and forced some things into alignment with the rest of the story as it played out years later. they may make it more 'consistent' with the rest of the story, but i read the original for so many years and never had an issue with it.
    So did you read the revised edition or are you one of those who don't on principle?

No. There's a fine line easy to overlook. It is never advisable to pass judgement on anything someone hasn't no first-hand knowledge of, but I certainly have a perfect right to make a statement about the unnecessity of enhancing or altering something that suits me. Very much like a man who refuses to check if other women are better in bed than his wife if he is satisfied with her.
    Sure you have a right to say or do what you like, I'm not questioning that. I do question that you can accurately judge something unless you've experienced it yourself.

.... the unnecessity of enhancing or altering something that suits me. Very much like a man who refuses to check if other women are better in bed than his wife if he is satisfied with her.
    well said Jean. pretty how much how i feel about the revisions. sure it could be argued that it is "better" or "more consistent" but i found it an unnecessary endeavor on King's part.

So did you read the revised edition or are you one of those who don't on principle?
    Well chummy?

Country
    Country Flag

Matthew: do I fail to make myself clear (which is, of course, possible, but not very probable in this case since Jayson and Brice understand what I say) or do you refuse to understand what I am saying on principle, to see what happens when someone teases a bear long enough?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have myself read the revision and while it isn't bad I gotta' agree with Jayson, something is missing in the transition from the original to the revised.

If you rescue me

Well chummy?
    sorry i missed that one. you might note that in my post that you quoted though i do say "the revision [which i have read] smacks of a musician going back...." so there's your answer. I have read the revised several times, though i prefer the original for many reaons.

Matthew: do I fail to make myself clear (which is, of course, possible, but not very probable in this case since Jayson and Brice understand what I say) or do you refuse to understand what I am saying on principle, to see what happens when someone teases a bear long enough?
    Jean, I see what you are saying and what I'm saying is I disagree with you. Now do we understand each other?

This is your original post Jayson and it didn't say whether or not you read it.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It does now.

If you rescue me

This is your original post Jayson and it didn't say whether or not you read it.
    um, you need reading lessons my friend... the third thru sixth words of my post are "which I have read." these words follow "the revision" implying that it is the revision which i have read. need some coffee or something matthew?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast