Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Purple Blade of Grass

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I believe, due to my belief of the rose being the tower, than it is to represent the field of roses, with a few baldes of grass around the rose, i dunno why it's purple though.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished DoTT and i'm on the waste lands now and as far as i can see the purple blade of grass was to emphasise the multiverse (as stated above).

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never attached too much meaning to the blade of purple grass. I saw it's introduction in DT1 as a sneak peek for Roland of the Rose in it's natural environment. Jake saw it (and Roland later) in it's natural environment on Keystone World. The rose grows in purple grass. I don't think this is off topic for this but I am with CK and Brice...the Rose is the Tower but it is the Tower as it is represented on Keystone World/Earth.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I never attached too much meaning to the blade of purple grass. I saw it's introduction in DT1 as a sneak peek for Roland of the Rose in it's natural environment. Jake saw it (and Roland later) in it's natural environment on Keystone World. The rose grows in purple grass. I don't think this is off topic for this but I am with CK and Brice...the Rose is the Tower but it is the Tower as it is represented on Keystone World/Earth.

So, by "sneak peak into the Rose's natural environment" do you mean that it was just a sneak peak into it being in the lot? 'Cause it sure seemed to be invested with a lot of meaning in Roland's vision. About the Rose and the Tower thing...I am not sure what to think about it being the Tower itself..I do believe it is the twin of the Tower in this world.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

As said as much in the series, the Rose is the Tower, as it is represented on Keystone Earth. Just as it is represented as a cat on other levels of the Tower. So, in essence CK, I agree with you as well, the Rose is the Tower's twin.

I think that yes, it is a peak at the Rose in the lot. I don't think that makes it any less special of a vision to Roland because he glimpsed something greater and closer to the Tower than he had before.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Roland says that he believes the Rose is the Tower. Its not stated as some fact, as far as I can remember. I can buy it though. It is the Tower in another form. So does the purple blade of grass mean anything else to you..or have you not thought much about it generally?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm, well I guess I just thought it was connected to the Rose. I thought it was like a hint of things to come when Roland saw it in Walter's vision. I personally don't believe King strayed away from things in his saga or that he changed course midstream. I don't know....
    Do you think he intended for it to be more? Like maybe, it was the blade of grass that was his first, intentional focus and that he changed it later to the Rose?

It just felt to me like there was a lot more importance to the blade of grass that King was alluding to and after The Wastelands it doesn't get mentioned again. It just kind of hit me earlier today, that I was expecting to read more about it, at least a little bit more of a hint of what the big deal was with it, but never did.
    I've always wondered about the purple blade of grass but have never understood what it was all about. I suppose others could be right that its another representation of the multiverse...or maybe its a representative of Tower Keystone dying?

Country
    Country Flag

Wasn't the purple grass mentioned again in Wolves when the tet traveled to the lot? Or do you mean the single purple blade of grass?

The single blade in the vision..but its also related in some way to the grass around the Rose in the vacant lot it seems.

Country
    Country Flag

Yes. I reread the passage in Wolves and it's just mentioned quickly about the rose growing in a clump of purple grass.
    Thinking more about it CK, I have to go back to what I mentioned earlier. I think the single blade of grass in Roland's vision was just a glimpse of what was to come....the Rose.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

CK, I'm with you. I thought there was going to be much more significance in the later novels. The blade of grass was the quintessential image of Roland's vision, i.e there's this huge buildup with Roland flying all over the universe and then "a purple blade of grass." I was expecting it have a much more profound place in the series. I was a bit disappointed when it turned out to be spray paint.

It could be a sign that Gan likes Deep Purple, Purple Haze, or Purple Rain? Maybe the ves ka gan sounds a little like Prince?

"Have some pancakes, bitches"

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure there were alot of things, like the purple blade of grass, that King had certain intentions for...but by the time he got around to writing the latter half of the series he'd either forgotten his original train of thought or simply decided to change it.

When the purple grass was mentioned in the palaver, I thought its significance was just to show that the Tower was in some alternate dimension, ie where they have purple grass instead of green - it just reinforced that the Tower was not of this world.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Well, I don't think it was really just dropped. I think it was no longer needed. The blade of grass was meant to illustrate size in the multiverse so Roland could further understand what he was delving into I think. Once told, Roland had the information and so did the reader. It was just background so you could understand the scope of things I think. And maybe that painted purple blade was the very same blade Roland himself saw.
    Interesting point, Brice. I would have to agree with you. I do think the blade served its purpose. But in the back of my mind, I think that just maybe this is another one of those small but important things that got brushed aside.

darkthoughts:
    I'm sure there were alot of things, like the purple blade of grass, that King had certain intentions for...but by the time he got around to writing the latter half of the series he'd either forgotten his original train of thought or simply decided to change it.
    yes, exactly.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the grass in the vision and the grass by the rose are two different things. But if we are going to consider the Rose as the actual Tower on Keystone Earth (which I do) then that means that all time and size resides within its petals. That would make the grass around it something quite special as well.

But with all that said, I think the point of the vision is that all roses, all blades of grass, hold infinite universes within them and the entire thing is about perspective, time and size.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think the grass in the vision and the grass by the rose are two different things. But if we are going to consider the Rose as the actual Tower on Keystone Earth (which I do) then that means that all time and size resides within its petals. That would make the grass around it something quite special as well.

But with all that said, I think the point of the vision is that all roses, all blades of grass, hold infinite universes within them and the entire thing is about perspective, time and size.
    well said matt, and to go on from there if i might, i think that specific rose holds Roland's world inside of it. that is why it is crucial to save the Rose and the Tower on their individual levels.

Hey Brice, are you going to give me the complete version of what you feel the Purple Blade of Grass is all about?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Hey Brice, are you going to give me the complete version of what you feel the Purple Blade of Grass is all about?

no
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Okey doke

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, I am going to expound on the idea, but it isn't a fully formed idea and now is not the time because I'm tired and not capable of deeper thoughts.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Masturbate.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I doubt that will help.

If you rescue me

I'm pretty sure it will. Especially if you keep the purple blade of grass in your mind while you do it.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think most of the people in Burger King would prefer it if I didn't.

If you rescue me

The more I think about it, the more I'm feeling that the purple blade of grass is meant to represent the dying multiverse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast