Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The Purple Blade of Grass

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Honestly, you're going to laugh at me but I thought it was just purple grass from another world/dimension...

But I didn't read into it nearly as much as every other bit of the book...

I was sure the purple meant something but I did not understand the symbolism.
    Ah, gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by SpektR View Post
    Hey guys...I have only just started reading "The Waste Lands" so my theory will mostlikley be proved false in a later book when all is revealed. Ill put the rest in spoiler thingy incase anyone hasnt read The Waste Lands

Spoiler:
    I feel the blade of grass is meant to make the reader think deeper into the universe in general and the dark tower at its center, because as soon as I saw the drawing Roland drew into the sand to show where the 12 gates are and the tower in the middle the first thing that struck me was its resemblance to the zodiac graph. Not only that but alot of the time each zodiac sign is given an animal as its symbol which I felt was shown via the big bear that they had to kill. The tower is the sun in the graph. Alot of religions take the sun from the zodiac and personify it as a Prophet. So I was thinking maybe whoever is in the tower is a prophet of some kind, or at least a very very wise, strong magician.

Therefore I feel,looking back to the blade of grass maybe it was this prophet showing Roland the creation of the universe and whatever higher being created it, if a being at all.
    No doubt you have all read through to the end and know alot more than me and know me theory is totally wrong, but hey... I just thought I would share it anyway.
    Thanks for sharing it, and it is an interesting theory.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

SpektR: right or wrong the theory is (I am not going to spoil the book for you ), it surely is good. I personally don't care a f**k about Zodiac, but the point is that all cultural contexts do converge within the world of the Dark Tower, and even though no interpretation can hold the absolute truth, most, or maybe all, are asymptotically correct. As you said, it is meant to make the reader think deeper into the universe in general.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I thought that it was supposed to be purple so we KNEW it didn't come from our world...

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...but ironically, it did come from our world.

My question is, did Walter know that? Perhaps the paint was "meant" as misdirection.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Mmmmm I'm still thinking the Purple Blade was a symbol of the dying worlds.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

So... Does that mean that you think that the blade is above the Tower?

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

well the tower is small enough to exist on a planet, so why can't there be something bigger?

maybe there's a Horton out there with his own tower.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    So... Does that mean that you think that the blade is above the Tower?
    If you look at our conversation above, to me the grass surrounding the Rose seems to represent the worlds around and yet also a part of the Tower, and Walter mentions a dying blade of grass on an alien plain, which makes me wonder if Roland seeing that Purple blade of Grass as a warning of whats at stake. So no, I don't think it is above the Tower.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool. It wasn't clear to me. Seems that we're in agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I'm still thinking the Purple Blade was a symbol of the dying worlds.
    As far as that goes, I think the blade and the Rose are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    ...why can't there be something bigger?
    Because the Tower is the nexus of size. It represents the cosmic order that prevents the kind of situation that Walter described, wherein you'd be forced to conclude that every time you burn a twig, you destroy an infinity of infinities.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    well the tower is small enough to exist on a planet...
    The bird is in the air and the air is in the bird.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

... And the quiet, singing voice of the rose. The song that promised all might be well, all might be well, that all manner of things might be well.
    But something's wrong with it, he thought.
    There was a jagged dissonance buried in the hum, like bits of broken galss. There was a nasty flickering purple glare in its hot heart, some cold light that did not belong there.
    --Wolves of the Calla(emphasis mine)
    So, on second thought, perhaps the purple color does stand specially for the corruption of the Red. Hm.

Still, I continue to feel that the main thing that Roland getting the precise vision he that did, near the end of The Gunslinger, shows is the special relationship that exists between Keystone Rose and Tower Keystone.

Another question to conside here: I wonder if the use of a blade of grass might have anything to with the series' continual switching between "a rose, a stone, an unfound door" and Thomas Wolfe's original phrase "a leaf, a stone, an unfound door" ... ?

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

i think the rose is a metaphor for size, walter/marten/flagg says something along the lines of "size gunslinger is what this is all about" (paraphrasing there) I think that the rose represents how roland is really being manipulated by ka and is actually very small compared to said forces, plus the Dark tower has a lot of multiverse cosmology theory in it and the blade of purple grass and the rose both represent how infinite (and as such incomprehesible) existence is, the man in black knew EXACTLY what would happen (death but not 4 u gunslinger, etc) and the purple blade of grass (which grew around the rose/ 1976 tower) showed roland for just an instant his actual fate but only for a single split second
    does that make sense?
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

It does and it is very interesting!

Banned jeotodoxy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Games

Very amusing idea

Gunslinger Apprentice Xerrand will become famous soon enough Xerrand's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    I always took the blade of purple grass as Roland seeing a part of his future. The Rose in the abandoned lot is described as having purple blades of grass around it. However the man in black claimed he was showing Roland the universe, and as the Rose is the Tower on another level(And the tower arguably is the universe) he could just be viewing the Tower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4