Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Purple Blade of Grass

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Default The Purple Blade of Grass

This is something that is mentioned in The Gunslinger and The Wastelands (if I remember correctly) but after that, we never hear about it again. Any thoughts on what it was all about and why King never delved into it again?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

It was one of my favorite parts of the first book, but I think it was just a young, into drugs and drinking, King writing something into the plot to help the story. But, seeing as it made it into both versions of book one, it had to be somewhat important, so I don't understand why its never touched on again?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

It was also in Eddie's vision at the beginning of The Wastelands I believe..so there seems to be more to it like you said. It just seems to have been dropped.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember now, wasn't the grass in the abandoned lot purple, but because of paint, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    I remember now, wasn't the grass in the abandoned lot purple, but because of paint, too?
    Yeah, I forgot about that. Thats true..the mystery deepens.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Now I really want to know the deeper meaning behind this.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I don't think it was really just dropped. I think it was no longer needed. The blade of grass was meant to illustrate size in the multiverse so Roland could further understand what he was delving into I think. Once told, Roland had the information and so did the reader. It was just background so you could understand the scope of things I think. And maybe that painted purple blade was the very same blade Roland himself saw.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

I get the feeling that the Purple Blade of Grass is a concept that seemed to have fallen by the wayside as the years went by. Maybe we'll get some insight with the comic series?

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Well, I don't think it was really just dropped. I think it was no longer needed. The blade of grass was meant to illustrate size in the multiverse so Roland could further understand what he was delving into I think. Once told, Roland had the information and so did the reader. It was just background so you could understand the scope of things I think. And maybe that painted purple blade was the very same blade Roland himself saw.
    Thats an interesting perspective, Brice. It just seemed an unresolved thing that seemed key towards the beginning of the series.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

It may not have been needed anymore, Brice, after the first book, but it kept coming back. I agree with your reasoning, but I think that in the back of King's mind, there was more to this story than he was ready, or capable of telling.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Thats an interesting perspective, Brice. It just seemed an unresolved thing that seemed key towards the beginning of the series.

I don't think it's unresolved. I think it was foreshadowing some of what was to come. In fact for about twenty years that little blade of grass (and all that went with it in Walter's explanation/vision for Roland) has hung in my head.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I know that I never forgot it. I even had a book mark that had Kings original afterword on that vision.

I don't think it's unresolved. I think it was foreshadowing some of what was to come. In fact for about twenty years that little blade of grass (and all that went with it in Walter's explanation/vision for Roland) has hung in my head.
    So you think it was a foreshadowing of him finding The Rose in the lot, the Rose being the twin of the Dark Tower, and so also represents the multiverse it in its own way, and thats it?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So you think it was a foreshadowing of him finding The Rose in the lot, the Rose being the twin of the Dark Tower, and so also represents the multiverse it in its own way, and thats it?
    That's it? No! Maybe this will sound a bit crazy, but I think there are very calculated and intentional puzzles within the tale. One thing leading to another and back around again.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

...and I don't think the rose was the tower's twin. I think it actually was the tower.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

That's it? No! Maybe this will sound a bit crazy, but I think there are very calculated and intentional puzzles within the tale. One thing leading to another and back around again.

Now that would be sneaky!

Okey dokey smokey! If what I just said wasn't what you were talking about, what were you talking about?

bitch.

...and I don't think the rose was the tower's twin. I think it actually was the tower.
    Well, thats another topic.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Okey dokey smokey! If what I just said wasn't what you were talking about, what were you talking about?

bitch.
    What you just said was essentially a PART of what I'm talking about.

bastard!

More fun later. I need sleep.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Meh...it's all one topic really.

If you rescue me

What you just said was essentially a PART of what I'm talking about.
    Okay, you've got me interested...in your full idea.

bastard!
    Hey, that was out of the blue, what did I do to earn that kind of ad hominem attack?

More fun later. I need sleep.
    Pussy.

Meh...it's all one topic really.
    I see what you're saying.

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    Jake says (Or thinks it, i can't remember) that the purple paint was just camoflage(sic), so that you mightn't think it was weird. And I also agree with Brice the rose being The Tower itself.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Mark88880 View Post
    Jake says (Or thinks it, i can't remember) that the purple paint was just camoflage(sic), so that you mightn't think it was weird..
    So what is the significance of the purple grass in the visions of Roland and Eddie and the paint on the grass around the Rose in the lot to you?

Ooooor you can just go ahead and keep it to yourself...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast