Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Purple Blade of Grass

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I'm feeling that the purple blade of grass is meant to represent the dying multiverse.
    That's interesting and actually makes a lot of since. I'm going to think about that some.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

The more I think about it, the more I'm feeling that the purple blade of grass is meant to represent the dying multiverse.
    Makes sense to me. The Flower is the Tower, the sick grass is the sick multiverse that is "moving on" or falling apart, or whatever you want to call it.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

King kind of touched on that in the afterword of the book.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Ok, I've been wanting to post in this thread, and finally got some time to do it.

If you fell outward to the limits of the universe, would you find a board fence and signs reading DEAD END? No. You might find something hard and rounded, as the chick might see the egg from the inside. And if you should peck through that shell, what great and torrentiallight might shine through your hole at the end of space? Might you look through and discover our entire universe is but part of one atom on a blade of grass? Might you be forced to think that by burning a twig you incinerate an eternity of eternities? That existence rises not to one infinite but to an infinity of them?
    What we have to remember is that Walter sent Roland that vision. Yet, Walter did not really have control of it, as shown when he didn't know what it meant that there was a blade of purple grass.

To me it's more of the same speak on the nature of the multi-verse. There are worlds withing worlds, there are alternate universes, everything's connected, blah blah blah. The reason Sk didn't delve into it further was because I don't think that he thought it was needed. I mean, would you really want SK to go into an entire chapter or two on the binding of philotic connections, a la' Orson Scott Card? I doubt it, it's hard to imagine drier reading material.

I went to youtube and found this video. It's the point I believe SK was trying to make. It might not seem totally relevant at first, but watch it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jj975xlGiE[/ame]
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

There's what I was talking about, thanks JB.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Far out, took the kids to see Horton Hears A Hoo today...oddly relevant to this discussion

Horton is a mind trip Lisa.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

To see? There is a movie? How did I not know this?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

you don't have eyes, or ears??

it's all over the damn TV. I don't know if I should buy it. How good was it Lisa?
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't watch tv.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Breezy

therein lies your problem.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually gave my tv away.

If you rescue me

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure of the significance of the purple blade of grass. But I tend to agree with Brice.

Quote Originally Posted by mia/susannah View Post
    I am not sure of the significance of the purple blade of grass. But I tend to agree with Brice.
    Specifically or generally? Either way, that tends to be dangerous territory.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I'd have to agree it's dangerous agreeing with me on anything. I try not to do so myself.

If you rescue me

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    you don't have eyes, or ears??

it's all over the damn TV. I don't know if I should buy it. How good was it Lisa?
    Well, at first I thought I'd got the bum deal, because my sister called it on taking the older two to see The Spiderwick Chronicles and I had to take the little 'uns to see Horton...but it was pretty cool. I generally loathe Disney, but it made me chuckle and it was reasonably faithful to Dr Seuss. Jim Carey didn't overact...and the opening sequence was awesome.

Btw, my sister thought Spiderwick sucked

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Well, I could live in a town called Spiderwick. It definitely has a certain something, a certain ring if you will.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Breezy

like a spider's penis? spider-wick?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Exactly.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

It was the last blade of purple grass left that the purple buffalo feasted to extinction...

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post

Makes sense to me. The Flower is the Tower, the sick grass is the sick multiverse that is "moving on" or falling apart, or whatever you want to call it.
    Yep. Interesting the Purple Blade of Grass represents a single world for Roland to try and understand (in hopes that his mind would snap from other party's perspective) and the purple grass growing around the Rose are the multiple worlds moving on.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I can't believe nobody got my reference...

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post

Yep. Interesting the Purple Blade of Grass represents a single world for Roland to try and understand (in hopes that his mind would snap from other party's perspective) and the purple grass growing around the Rose are the multiple worlds moving on.
    So what do you think about the above ideas, Liz?

My Mood
    Worried

Honestly, you're going to laugh at me but I thought it was just purple grass from another world/dimension...

But I didn't read into it nearly as much as every other bit of the book...

I was sure the purple meant something but I did not understand the symbolism.

Traveler SpektR is on a distinguished road

Hey guys...I have only just started reading "The Waste Lands" so my theory will mostlikley be proved false in a later book when all is revealed. Ill put the rest in spoiler thingy incase anyone hasnt read The Waste Lands

Spoiler:
    I feel the blade of grass is meant to make the reader think deeper into the universe in general and the dark tower at its center, because as soon as I saw the drawing Roland drew into the sand to show where the 12 gates are and the tower in the middle the first thing that struck me was its resemblance to the zodiac graph. Not only that but alot of the time each zodiac sign is given an animal as its symbol which I felt was shown via the big bear that they had to kill. The tower is the sun in the graph. Alot of religions take the sun from the zodiac and personify it as a Prophet. So I was thinking maybe whoever is in the tower is a prophet of some kind, or at least a very very wise, strong magician.

Therefore I feel,looking back to the blade of grass maybe it was this prophet showing Roland the creation of the universe and whatever higher being created it, if a being at all.
    No doubt you have all read through to the end and know alot more than me and know me theory is totally wrong, but hey... I just thought I would share it anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast