Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: High Speech... what is it?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

The pere was dropping Gawd Bombs.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

And can I hear an amen?

John F. Kennedy Crimson King is on a distinguished road Crimson King's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Isn't it weird how Roland can say "ka" and "khef" but can't pronounce Keflex?

I could buy that the "x" might throw him off, but he calls it cheeflet or cheflet (something along that line), like he can't make the "k" sound...

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I didn't really buy Roland's pronunciation problems considering he is multilingual. Then again I didn't really buy the idea that he only sees dots on TV screens either, (someone from a different time period like the middle ages in our world probably wouldn't have trouble seeing a picture, it's not the tech it's biology of the brain interpreting it, which would be the same) but that's another topic.

From Drawing of the Three, it seemed clear to me that the Low Speech is very similar to English. I remember Roland thinking that he had a bit of trouble understanding what was said but it wasn't that different, more a diallect difference. He also thought that if he was there in the flesh he wouldn't have any difficulty at all, like his mind automatically interprets when travelling to a different world.

High speech though is completely different. I tend to think of it like Latin too, except a bit more widely used among the upper classes. So basically I think the low speech is like a diallect of English (although they don't have any concept of 'English' of course) with some words of High Speech included.

I think that's right...

Spoiler:
    I'm still curious what language Roland spoke with Calvin Tower, it was never explained. Is that how the High Speech sounds in our world?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

firs off, i was about to make an innapropriate comment about drunks and drug addicts, but this doesn't seem like the right time. so think of it as this:

how do other languages emerge. isolationism. mixture of culture and language. religion. etc. now every (almost) religion is based off latin. so you will find some words in german, french, english...they sound the same, and usually mean about the same. so imagine that for some reason, a part of america gets broken off and isolated. in a few hundred or a thousand years, probably less, this language will have changed, but not so much that it sounds TOO different from english. think maybe...anglisch. now eventually one of those languages must become dominant. so which one? since the high speech isn't exactly english, we can assume it's that. english dies out, and is replaced by a smaller language. perhaps german. or maybe english almost completely dies out, and before a rise to imperialism, people begin using it to plan. so when they take over, english is revived (obviously some changes would have been made, accidental or on purpose) but since german is now dominant, only a few people close to the ruler who used it would know it. thus higher class people would use it, thus the high speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    High speech though is completely different. I tend to think of it like Latin too, except a bit more widely used among the upper classes. So basically I think the low speech is like a diallect of English (although they don't have any concept of 'English' of course) with some words of High Speech included.
    So High Speech is a totally different language, not a dialect - is that what you're saying? If so, I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Spoiler:
    I'm still curious what language Roland spoke with Calvin Tower, it was never explained. Is that how the High Speech sounds in our world?
    Ah, an excellent question. When I just did my re-read I marked that page but didn't write about it here because I wasn't sure what to make of it...
    That's a really interesting idea...
    Spoiler:
    At the same time though, don't they use words from the high speech like ka, ka-tet, khef and such in our world and they make sense? Is this only because they're so familiar?

Good questions Brainslinger...

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Boy howdy thats a lot of repetitive posts!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, Sj! You must have really liked what you had to say here to have said it seven times.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That has gotta be the first septuple post I've seen.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Yeah, its a first for me also.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Sorry guys, my computer WOULD NOT LOAD.
    So I just kept hitting the button.
    I fixed it.

Awwwwwwwww the more of you the merrier!

Okay nevermind.
    I'm going to leave them.
    It's fuckin' hilarous.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oops. I deleted one before I saw you wanted to keep them. Lo siento. Now it's only on there 6 times.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, it is.

And I'm sorry Matthew and I interrupted you posting the same post some more.

If you rescue me

Hahaha, it's no big deal.
    I'm such a goof.

19 repeat posts should do!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

"Respect the Bumbler!" Billy-Bumbler is on a distinguished road Billy-Bumbler's Avatar

Default The Great Letters

Am I the only one who thinks/realizes that the "Great Letters" are all caps?
    "Tough titty said the kitty"---Blaine the mono

"Why did the dead baby cross the road? Because he was stapled to the chicken!"- Eddie Dean

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think so. I think there are some letters we don't have or there are some differences. Like High Speech is very similar to English (but they are not the same) that's how the Great Letters are similar to our letters but there must be differences.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

I alway thought the HIGH SPEECH was either with i slight Britsih accent (i know wthats wierd) or some other all together because when roland talks to the slow mutant, i think on the way to see S.K., he talks in the high speech and eddie cant understand it

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought of it as similar to sindarin-elven... though I had no indication that it was
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I thought of it as similar to sindarin-elven... though I had no indication that it was
    But Sindarin was the most common of the Elvish languages, spoken by the Teleri. If I were to compare the High Speech to any of the Elvish tongues it would likely be Quenya.

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

I dont know much about elveish, none actually, but elvish was another i tought of. Maybe even Latin or some for mof it?

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    But Sindarin was the most common of the Elvish languages, spoken by the Teleri. If I were to compare the High Speech to any of the Elvish tongues it would likely be Quenya.
    true, though sindarin is still pretty exotic when compared to the common westenra english
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast