Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: *sigh* My English language exam

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thought of you, thinking of you, will be thinking of you... always.

You truly don't need it though dear.

"You don't need to be helped any longer.
    You've always had the power..."

Spoiler:
    At this point in the movie I was always waiting for Dorothy to say something like: "What the hell do you mean I had the damn power all along...and ...and you didn't tell me. *Dorothy grabs Glinda's wand and starts whacking her up side the head with it*

Seriously, Letti I've told you countless times your english is better than that of most people here. I already know you did well.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Heeey! How kind you all are. *hugs Jean, Bruno and Brice* I hope you know that my heart is yours, my friends.

I am over it but I have no idea If I passed or not. I will know it in two weeks. But it was incredibly hard and I am not sure at all. The topics were so hard that it would have been hard to do them in Hungarian, too. (speciel bank language about interest rates and stuff like that)
    We will see. I am not satisfied at all but if I fail I will come back here to read your kind posts and I am sure I will feel much better.

You are my shoulder, guys.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You did fine dear! I am sure of it.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    You did fine dear! I am sure of it.
    I cannot convince you, can I?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope, absolutely not.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Nope, absolutely not.
    Good.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Interest rates? Ugh. Sounds like something you'd find on a CPA exam, not an English test.

Anyway, good luck Letti!

You know we're behind 100%.

Country
    Country Flag

If you are interested how non-native speakers can get a nice piece of paper of their knowledge here in Hungary here are the details.

Here at this language exam there are 6 types of exercises.

The first one is a text (it was the one with the speciel bank language about interest rates and crisis) in which every fifth word is missing and you have to fill in the gapes.

The second one is about sentences you have to recreat.
    For example: - People say Coke was the best drink in 2007.
    And you have the first two words of the new sentence: Coke is ...
    So you have to write: Coke is said to have been the best drink in 2007. Usually they are much more complex but I guess it doesn't seem hard for you guys.

The third one is a quite hard text in English and you have to answer 7-8 questions in Hungarian. My text was about the Biocapital Footprint we humen beings leave. How does it sound? Interesting, huh?

In the forth you have to translate a Hungarian text to English. Mine was about health and travel insurance and how much we can pay if we break our leg in the USA and we might get into serious debts if we have no health insurance... stuff like that.

The fifth is an English text again with underlined sentences and you have to tranlate the whole text into Hungaroan (but you have to sum it up in 10 sentences) and you must use the parts that were underlined.
    This was about the use of placebo.

And the last one is a letter.
    I had to write a letter to my American friend about how much I am shocked to see that more and more kids and teenagers are involved in commiting crimes, I had to write about a case with details, I had to write down the reasons and I had to try to find out some solutions.

That's it.
    I had 210 minutes to do it.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You did fine.

...and were you really shocked that kids and teenagers were involved in crimes???

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

I was. Incredibly. That was the exercise.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So you have to be an actress to pass the english exam too.

They should have just gave you a book in Hungarian....we'll just say The Gunslinger by Stephen King and told you to translate.

If you rescue me

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

I bet most Americans couldn't pass that test. But I bet you did fine. The only way anyone can tell English is your second language is that you speak it (or type it) better then everyone else.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks a million, Telynn. As I have said it before if I fail I will come here to rebuild myself.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

ya, you speak so much betterer then us all! LOL
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

those tests, and the system that produced them, was the main reason why I had to develop my own system of teaching

Nikolett taught herself English, just as I did. That's why we can express ourselves; luckily, we both have that hard-to-define something called language ability. How about those who don't?

People come to me from "classes" they had to pay a lot money for and spend a lot of time on (months at best, years at worst), and can't argue a point, defend their position, find their way in a simple every-day-life language situation, express their feelings, tell a story impromptu, understand a spoken word, nothing. When they open their mouth, all they find on their tongue is some "proverb and saying", like "early to bed and early to rise..." or equally useful nonsense; sometimes they also happen to know some highly frequent words like "equinox" or "istmuth". Her Majesty Something Somebody who designs those systems of learning is very fond of words like "equinox" and "istmuth". Of proverbs and sayings, too.

I wish I could catch them, teach them some language - say, French - in strict accordance with their "system", - and then drop them, without money or documents, somewhere in the middle of Guadalupe... and watch them se démerder.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

That is one son of a bitch test!

Neither fair nor realistic!

But I'm sure you whipped ass!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that test looks like it does a good job of testing your comprehension of the English language - you really have to know your stuff to do that thing!

Letti, if you can figure out all our idosyncrasies on this board, I'm sure you aced that test!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good luck Letti - you'll do fine!!
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Country
    Country Flag

Awww, you guys are way too kind. Thank you for your care.
    In two weeks I will know everything and I will share it with you.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    those tests, and the system that produced them, was the main reason why I had to develop my own system of teaching

Nikolett taught herself English, just as I did. That's why we can express ourselves; luckily, we both have that hard-to-define something called language ability. How about those who don't?

People come to me from "classes" they had to pay a lot money for and spend a lot of time on (months at best, years at worst), and can't argue a point, defend their position, find their way in a simple every-day-life language situation, express their feelings, tell a story impromptu, understand a spoken word, nothing. When they open their mouth, all they find on their tongue is some "proverb and saying", like "early to bed and early to rise..." or equally useful nonsense; sometimes they also happen to know some highly frequent words like "equinox" or "istmuth". Her Majesty Something Somebody who designs those systems of learning is very fond of words like "equinox" and "istmuth". Of proverbs and sayings, too.

I wish I could catch them, teach them some language - say, French - in strict accordance with their "system", - and then drop them, without money or documents, somewhere in the middle of Guadalupe... and watch them se démerder.

I don't even know what "istmuth" is! And English is the only language I speak!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    You can move this thread anytime to the clearning guys...

So, I will have a very serious English language exam (advanced) tomorrow - at 9 am - and I am horribly afraid of it. It scares the hell out of me. It's the highest thing you can do here to prove your knowledge before a degree.
    If you can think of me, please.

Thank you.
    You were in my thoughts, and I hope all works out well.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll be thinking of you on that day dear lady.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

I passed!

I passed!

I passed!

I can't believe it!!!

I needed to get 60% and I got 71%!!!

I
    n
    c
    r
    e
    d
    i
    b
    l
    e
    !

I passed!
    I passed!
    I passed!

You can't imagine how happy I am...

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

congratulations!!!!!!

Now you need to reward yourself with a dinner out and some nice wine or something
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast